PDA

View Full Version : Bad day today

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Went to cross over a railroad tracks today leaving my parents house, and a ball joint snapped on my truck, leaving it stranded on the track. Was going about 25, so it ruined the lower control arm, CV axle, cracked the front differential, and quite a bit of other damage. Will have to see if my insurance will do anything, but I'm doubt the truck is work fixing (01 gmc half ton with 200,000 miles) it is the only vehicle I own that was drivable, so now I gotta decide if it's gonna be cheaper to fix this, or my 92 F250 since I can't afford a new truck at this time.

On top of it I got a 85 dollar ticket for "excessive" speed (speed limit it 35, I was going about 25 and the roads were clear and dry - it's just a really rough crossing).
I plan on fighting the ticket, but it's still gonna be a pain.

Been one of those days. Sorry for the rant.

shoot-n-lead
11-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the problems.

Normally, ball joints give an indication that they are worn...prior to actually breaking.

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Usually. I also check them fairly regular. I just put all new ones in it about 2 months ago...

Butchman205
11-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Usually. I also check them fairly regular. I just put all new ones in it about 2 months ago...

You put new ones in two months ago, and now one of them broke?

-Butchman

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Yep. I installed them right at he end of september..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

country gent
11-26-2016, 10:16 PM
You might check with the ball joints manufacturer to see if there have been any issues or recalls on them.

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 10:37 PM
I'll have to see. Will give Napa a call on monday.

Butchman205
11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Yep. I'd definitely give them a call man...at least get the parts replaced for free.

-Butchman

starmac
11-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Sounds like you found a bad enough spot to basically stop a tire, while the rig still wanted to keep the 25 mph up.

DCM
11-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Where was this cop when he clocked you doing this excessive speed?
Are "points" involved?
Sounds like a traffic Atty. may be useful. Just my .02

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 11:15 PM
No, cop was not. It's maybe 100 yards from where I turned onto the road to the crossing (maybe not even that far) with a stop sign 50 feet on the other side of the crossing, so I really was not going that fast. I plan on fighting the ticket. Tool 2 points off of my CDL licence.

SierraHunter
11-26-2016, 11:15 PM
The worst part about the ticket was it was only the second ticket I've ever had.

Deep Six
11-27-2016, 12:37 AM
What needs fixing on the 250? Got a soft spot for those old fords myself... Sounds like you ripped the front end of the GMC up pretty good. I imagine the diff case would need to be scrounged from a junkyard.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 01:00 AM
What needs fixing on the 250? Got a soft spot for those old fords myself... Sounds like you ripped the front end of the GMC up pretty good. I imagine the diff case would need to be scrounged from a junkyard.
It has something up with the charging system. Keeps killing alternators. I parked it awhile back and havnt messed with it. It also needs the front end rebuilt since it got the scissor front end.

shoot-n-lead
11-27-2016, 01:03 AM
It has something up with the charging system. Keeps killing alternators. I parked it awhile back and havnt messed with it. It also needs the front end rebuilt since it got the scissor front end.

That twin I-beam is not a cheap rebuild...if there was not much collateral damage to the GMC...it would be cheaper to fix.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 01:03 AM
Exactly why the Ford is parked.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 01:13 AM
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr305/bullshopjunior/Mobile%20Uploads/20161126_134319_zpskufhoeht.jpg (http://s494.photobucket.com/user/bullshopjunior/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161126_134319_zpskufhoeht.jpg.html)

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr305/bullshopjunior/Mobile%20Uploads/20161126_134307_zpsvcekajje.jpg (http://s494.photobucket.com/user/bullshopjunior/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161126_134307_zpsvcekajje.jpg.html)

shoot-n-lead
11-27-2016, 01:52 AM
If I had full coverage, I would turn that in on my insurance.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 01:53 AM
I do, and I am planning on it. Will probably be Monday before I can though.

starmac
11-27-2016, 02:11 AM
I did not realise insurance covered mechanical failure.

shoot-n-lead
11-27-2016, 02:50 AM

If it causes accident damage to your vehicle...it will cover that damage.

Notice those pics...there is a good bit of body and suspension damage...although, most of the suspension damage was done when the truck was dragged off the tracks.

Plate plinker
11-27-2016, 03:13 AM
Bummer so the cop used the radar gun?
looks like a easy enough fix good luck. Sell that ford carcass for some cash.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-27-2016, 06:35 AM
Mechanical damage caused by undue impact is worth trying, if the effect on your future premiums wouldn't be excessive. Claiming from the railway company might also be worth trying, if it was an official level crossing and less level than usual. I doubt if it would be worth suing, but there is a chance of some go-away money without anything admitted in principle.

Was there much disruption to rail traffic? It sounds like the speeding ticket was about what happened when you were doing no speed at all, and the trouble the authorities either were caused or might have been.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
11-27-2016, 09:22 AM
It will not cover the failed part,but it will cover any resulting damage!.

Think,POT HOLE DAMAGE.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 10:07 AM
If it causes accident damage to your vehicle...it will cover that damage.

Notice those pics...there is a good bit of body and suspension damage...although, most of the suspension damage was done when the truck was dragged off the tracks.
Actually, most of the suspension damage was done when it bounced down into the ditch.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Bummer so the cop used the radar gun?
looks like a easy enough fix good luck. Sell that ford carcass for some cash.
No, there were 100 miles away at the time. I'm planning on fighting the ticket.

Mica_Hiebert
11-27-2016, 10:21 AM
If it is a public crossing you can go after the railroad for damages to your vehicle, you can get the department of transportation involved if they won't work with you. If it is a private crossing then your up a creek, It becomes the land owners responsibility to maintain the crossing.

Finster101
11-27-2016, 10:26 AM

That's not mechanical failure. That's impact damage. Something was hit.

SierraHunter
11-27-2016, 11:16 AM
If it is a public crossing you can go after the railroad for damages to your vehicle, you can get the department of transportation involved if they won't work with you. If it is a private crossing then your up a creek, It becomes the land owners responsibility to maintain the crossing.
It is a public crossing on a county road. Good to know. Might get something out of them.

DCM
11-27-2016, 11:46 AM
With the cop nowhere in sight and you clean record a traffic attorney will make the 2 points and citation go away.
It will likely cost you more in time and fuel to fight this yourself and you may not win where they very likely will. :(
It may seem to cost a bit up front but in the long run between insurance and CDL risk checks of employers you will come out ahead.

Sad to see your truck looking like that.

leadman
11-27-2016, 12:49 PM
When I was working for a municipality as a shop foreman we had cases where a part failed and the maker or in some cases, the factory did pay for repairs. Tires that shed the tread caused body damage that the tire factory paid for.
Since it was a new Napa part I would document everything and submit a claim. Contact them before you start any repairs so they can see what happened. I would start with the manager of the Napa where you bought the parts.

WILCO
11-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Good luck with this. Keep us posted. Glad you didn't get hurt.

dverna
11-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Thinking the same thing. Unless maybe hitting a huge hole takes from mechanical breakdown to accident.

Anyone, sorry for your hassles. Last thing needed at this time of the year.

Don Verna

Ballistics in Scotland
11-27-2016, 01:06 PM
No, there were 100 miles away at the time. I'm planning on fighting the ticket.

Did you make any damaging admissions about speed? It might be that even your unsupported word, at a troubled moment, isn't enough evidence to make the ticket stick.

merlin101
11-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Did you make any damaging admissions about speed? It might be that even your unsupported word, at a troubled moment, isn't enough evidence to make the ticket stick.

That's possible, if the op said something like "I guess I hit it a bit too fast" That could be taken as a admission of guilt.

You could save some of the money by handling this yourself, the first thing is to write everything down as you remember it and do it now then sign and date it.
Second is to plead NOT GUILTY and ask for a supporting deposition, that will come from the arresting officer and will contain everything he saw and heard in other words his complete testimony. If it's not in there he can't testify to it! That will give you the ammo you need to build a defense and discredit him as he wasn't a witness to the "crime". If you don't receive the deposition in a timely manner (30 days in NY) you can ask the judge to dismiss the charges. You can also have the charges dismissed if the officer doesn't show up in court to testify, DO NOT LET THE DA BULLY YOU INTO A PLEA OR A POSTPONEMENT! They will try to postpone if the officer doesn't show and the judge may or may not grant it. It's your CDL protect it and good luck.

starmac
11-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Usually when they write a speeding ticket like this, it is because of how far the vehicle traveled after the fact. Being as your pickup stopped still blocking the tracks, it should be an easy win for you. Before involveing a lawyer, I would go to court and plead innocent, many times the judge will throw it out, if not you just have to put up a bond, and get another court date, and you can then retain a lawyer.

44man
11-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Road damage might.

white eagle
11-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Bad news for sure
and to ad a ticket on top of that
well that aint human
I fix the ford but I am a ford kinda guy

Ballistics in Scotland
11-27-2016, 02:21 PM
The chances are that they have nothing but the OP's description of what happened, and the damage to the car. In most jurisdictions a person can't be convicted purely out of his own mouth, so it comes down to damage. If the police officer is asked what speed it took to break a balljoint on an obstacle like that, he is likely to have to say he never saw it before, or it took a speed far in excess of what was allegedly admitted here.

Deep Six
11-27-2016, 02:31 PM
People either love or hate the twin I beam lol. I've rebuilt plenty of them myself, rangers to 250s. Parts are just bushings, bearings, ball joints and u joints. All pretty cheap, I can usually buy everything needed for about $250 from rockauto or advance with their discount codes. The hard part is disassembling the whole thing. Here in the rust belt, it's easiest to just put it on a lift and start torching bushings and bolts until it all comes off. Then reassemble with new parts and bolts. Usually a one Saturday job when I've done it. After seeing the picture of your GMC, I know i'd much rather fix the Ford.

As for the charging issue, those usually come down to grounds. Either there's a ground got established where it shouldn't, or a ground that's supposed to be there got broken.

funnyjim014
11-27-2016, 02:32 PM
If the ball joint failed (ball and socket separation) I would go to Napa and see what they can do. If the snapped or sheared off go threw insurance and or RR company for failure to maintain crossing. If this happen to a truck what would happen to a normal car?

starmac
11-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Question, how much traffic does this crossing have? I mean how many normal cars and pickups drive across this particular crossing?

We have a crossing in the woods across the log road I haul logs on. Depending on the weather and time of year, it is a stop and creep across in deep reduction to not damage a truck, same for pickups, but it has very little traffic.

Spector
11-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Many years ago my grandfather gave me a 64 Falcon that had been kept near the beach in FL for over 5 years and there were some signs of corrosion. I just had the ball joints replaced and went under the vehicle with the mechanic. Neither of us noticed anything else unusual.

Two weeks later my wife backed out of our driveway and headed toward the stop sign less than 1/2 mile away at the highway intending to make a left turn. When she she took her foot off of the accelerator the vehicle did not respond, the clutch pedal was on the floor and the brakes did not work. She turned the steering wheel hard right as she entered the intersection and another vehicle hit her spinning her 180 degrees. My two young children were in the back seat and fortunately were unhurt. There was a young boy standing in the front seat of the other vehicle and he got a lump on his head. His father jumped out of the other vehicle and said ''hell lady....don't you have brakes'' to which she responded ''no''.

I was watching from the house for several minutes and did not see my car on the highway. When I walked to the road I saw there was an accident in the intersection so I walked to the location. My wife immediately said ''there were no brakes to stop and the gas was stuck''. I raised the hood. A motor mount had broken. The motor raised up on one side. The the air filter housing hit the underside of the hood bending it downward jamming the throttle open. The clutch linkage ran from the motor to the wheel well. When the motor shifted position it disconnected the clutch linkage accounting for the clutch pedal being on the floorboard. When I pressed on the brake, brake fluid pumped out onto the road at a break in the steel brake line. All of this was caused by the motor mount breaking and I showed it all to the police officer working the accident scene. so he would know the accident was due to mechanical failure.

I received a call from Allstate Insurance. I explained it all to them and told them that if my wife had not had the presence of mind to make that hard right turn the impact would have been much worse. I even explained that new ball joints had just been installed and that both the mechanic and I looked under the vehicle and saw noting out of the ordinary. I told them that if I owned another 25 similar vehicles that series of events would never repeat itself again....that is was a freak series of events.

I asked my wife why she did not use the twist and pull emergency brake or just turn off the ignition and she said by the time she let off the accelerator and realized the car did not decelerate and that there was no clutch pedal it was too late to do much of anything except turn the steering wheel hard to the right to try to minimize the impact.

What consideration did my wife and I receive. We lost our good drivers discount. The fact that it was a rather freak occurrence made no difference.

Good luck dealing with your insurance company.

Mike

Ballistics in Scotland
11-27-2016, 04:18 PM
What consideration did my wife and I receive. We lost our good drivers discount. The fact that it was a rather freak occurrence made no difference.

That happens. In my case my year-old two-seat Scimitar was murdered by an Irish truck driver, late for the ferry, who pulled out over a give way line at an intersection. I think the insurance company were annoyed because I got a full price payout under their provision for a car less than two years old, and declined to buy back the repairable carcass. I not only lost my bonus, but got a suspiciously high quote on my replacement car.

The other driver said in court that I was speeding, but the luck of the Irish failed him, as the driver behind him was a detective sergeant in an unmarked car, who said I wasn't. He got fined £30, but that was enough to get me a lot more on restored bonus and excess (the small amount a driver pays on any claim), car hire and compensation for my single stitch in my scalp and a pulled muscle.

Indeed I wasn't speeding. But it was only the next time I drove that way that I realised that the sergeant couldn't have seen that. The truck driver misjudged the speed he could pull out because it was on a slope, and the sergeant was below the line of sight. That same week a local magistrate and his wife had been killed by an Irish truck driver. The magistrate had a blood alcohol level which was practically a fire risk, but speeding to make the ferry apparently came into it.

buckwheatpaul
11-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Sorry for your problems. We have two high mileage vehicles that I worry about but with the damage you described it might be better to get a new to you vehicle .... unless you can do most or all the work yourself. At least it is all non electronic and due to age parts might be a little less or go to a wrecking yard and pull the parts you need if they have the parts you need.

NavyVet1959
11-27-2016, 04:36 PM
I'm actually surprised that you have full coverage insurance on a 2001 model pickup.

jonp
11-27-2016, 04:51 PM
No, cop was not. It's maybe 100 yards from where I turned onto the road to the crossing (maybe not even that far) with a stop sign 50 feet on the other side of the crossing, so I really was not going that fast. I plan on fighting the ticket. Tool 2 points off of my CDL licence.

Always fight points or any ticket for that matter if you have a cdl. The points go on your cvsa score

I cant imaginge how bad a crossing would have to be to do that much damage at that speed especially in a truck.

shoot-n-lead
11-27-2016, 05:15 PM
I cant imaginge how bad a crossing would have to be to do that much damage at that speed especially in a truck.

I agree...this was not the crossing...this was a bad ball joint, whether worn out or defective.

starmac
11-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Last year a friend and I were parked in a pull out on the log road after I had laid my logtruck over. We were waiting for the log loader to get there to unload and sit my truck back on the road and rubber, a couple of hunters stopped and ask us if they were going to be meeting any trucks. I told them there would be one loaded truck comeing and a loader, I also told them that once the loader got there the road would be blocked for several hours. They decided to turn around there, which was a wise choice, but as they pulled crossways in the road, the lower ball joint gave up the ghost. lol It was four wheel drive, but on the hardpack it still would not move, so I had to drag them to clear the road.

I loaned them my sat phone to call a wrecker, but before the wrecker could get there we had the road blocked, so the wait time added several hundred dollars to their bill. I bet they were moving less than 1/2 mile per hour on smooth ice when it broke. lol

starmac
11-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm actually surprised that you have full coverage insurance on a 2001 model pickup.

Same here, I carry full coverage on my big trucks, but never on personal vehicles.

MaryB
11-28-2016, 02:44 AM
I have seen many swap that twin I-beam front suspension for a solid axle conversion... not cheap unless you junkyard source a lot of the bits...

Deep Six
11-28-2016, 08:09 AM
I've done that swap too. The only expensive part is the solid Dana 60 axle out of a f350. Too much competition for that as it is holy grail for guys swapping their IFS GM's over to solid as well. I paid $750 for the the last one and it was quite crusty.

Nothing really wrong with the twin I beam setup though. It's a little harder to align but it's 95% as robust as the solid D60. Like I said earlier, new bushings, bearings, ball joints, and u joints isn't really a hard or expensive job if you have access to a torch and lift.

Butchman205
11-28-2016, 08:19 AM
I've done that swap too. The only expensive part is the solid Dana 60 axle out of a f350. Too much competition for that as it is holy grail for guys swapping their IFS GM's over to solid as well. I paid $750 for the the last one and it was quite crusty.

Nothing really wrong with the twin I beam setup though. It's a little harder to align but it's 95% as robust as the solid D60. Like I said earlier, new bushings, bearings, ball joints, and u joints isn't really a hard or expensive job if you have access to a torch and lift.

Agreed!!!
Just make sure you keep the torch away from the oil filled shocks...
(Don't ask me how I know this)

-Butchman

lightman
11-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Well, it seems like when it rains, it pours. Hope your insurance will cover your damage and that you can beat that ticket. I usually support law enforcement officers, but that officer should not have written that ticket. Good Luck to ya!

SierraHunter
11-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Question, how much traffic does this crossing have? I mean how many normal cars and pickups drive across this particular crossing?

We have a crossing in the woods across the log road I haul logs on. Depending on the weather and time of year, it is a stop and creep across in deep reduction to not damage a truck, same for pickups, but it has very little traffic.
Probably has a car every 20 minutes. Lots of trucks with horse trailers

SierraHunter
11-28-2016, 10:40 AM
I have seen many swap that twin I-beam front suspension for a solid axle conversion... not cheap unless you junkyard source a lot of the bits...
I've also seen it done on the IFS on the Chevys. I've wanted to do it for quite awhile. Maybe this is a good excuse.

SierraHunter
11-28-2016, 10:44 AM
I travel a lot for work. A lot of time to different states. So I keep full coverage on the truck incase something happens when I am traveling.

I'm starting to regret calling it in. My insurance has already gone up just because of the accident report. Can't imagine what it will do if I get the ticket on it, as well as making a insurance claim on the truck. I initially thought the frame might be bent since the hood and fender wrinkled a bit, but I decided I'm jumping the gun on that. I've gotta to to the court house this morning, and when I get back, I'm gonna get the truck up on on the lift and see. I might end up fixing it yet.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-29-2016, 06:28 AM
They decided to turn around there, which was a wise choice, but as they pulled crossways in the road, the lower ball joint gave up the ghost. lol It was four wheel drive, but on the hardpack it still would not move, so I had to drag them to clear the road.

Could everything have stayed in place if they had broken it on an unwisely approached bump around the corner? If that was a possibility, the railway company might argue that it wasn't their bump with the OP, and whoever is responsible for the roads is likely to be move defensive against pothole damage claims.

"Give in to one, and they'll all be doing it."

It might help if photographs can be taken which show several hundred yards of smooth track before the crossing.

Plate plinker
11-29-2016, 07:00 AM
Same here, I carry full coverage on my big trucks, but never on personal vehicles.
Why so the price difference for my older heap is like 20 every six months.

NavyVet1959
11-29-2016, 03:07 PM
It seems that once the insurance companies have you paying a particular rate, they are unlikely to decrease the rate, even if the value of your vehicle goes down.

For example, if you bought a new vehicle 12 years ago and had full coverage insurance on it for all this time, your insurance bill would still be the same (and possibly even more due to normal increases) than if you tried to get full coverage insurance on a new-to-you 12 year old vehicle. So, your insurance is not decreasing, but the amount that the insurance company might pay out is less since the vehicle is worth less and they will declare the vehicle a total loss sooner. So, they're still charging you the same amount, but their risk (i.e. how much they might end up paying on a total loss) is only 1/3rd of what it was when the car was brand new.

Budzilla 19
11-29-2016, 03:37 PM
I vote for fixing GMC truck. Looks bad, I think when you get it up onto your rack, it's gonna be easy repairable! Good luck with court system, and I agree to fight to keep this off your cdl!

Teddy (punchie)
11-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Go after the railroad for deductible, should be maybe no fault on insurance. Do to road condition at a crossing. See if you can make the case the railroad should have known. If they had someone call about the condition of the crossing and did nothing, they have a problem and knew. Now if you can get a witness to this they will have to pay. Maybe in the ticket you a can ask the cop how long the crossing was bad. Any way all you have to do is make there insurance think you have a case. They will tell you no, the railroad may tell you no.

I had a strut go in a car from a ditch from township. After the township insurance told me no, I said I want the 250.00 dollar deductable. They said no, I told them to talk to Township and I sue you in small claims. Asked where they were from and said have fun explaining your trip to Beaver from GA. Cost of you stay, cost of court costs, and my lost usage , maybe you better rethink, the simple 250.00. Three days I had the check.

Look read and try to make a good case. Ask round see if neighbor or some else can be a witness, to the crossing. See if they come out and fit it, take pictures.

Hope me you have better luck.

God Bless

starmac
11-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Could everything have stayed in place if they had broken it on an unwisely approached bump around the corner? If that was a possibility, the railway company might argue that it wasn't their bump with the OP, and whoever is responsible for the roads is likely to be move defensive against pothole damage claims.

"Give in to one, and they'll all be doing it."

It might help if photographs can be taken which show several hundred yards of smooth track before the crossing.

I am not sure what you are getting at on this case. No tracks involved and this is a one lane log road, no responsible partys as far as maintenence goes. The loggers maintain it (kind of) so that we can run on it and get the equipment in and logs out, hunters basically get a pass to get out in the back country as the road is public as log sales are completed and keeps moving further out every year or so.

Right now we are working on sales from 28 1/2 to around the 33 mile marker, if we finish these sales this year, those 4 1/2 miles will be open to the public that wants to use it.

In this case the only responsible party was the one with the bad ball joint.

Alvarez Kelly
11-29-2016, 04:18 PM
I am not sure what you are getting at on this case. No tracks involved and this is a one lane log road, no responsible partys as far as maintenence goes. The loggers maintain it (kind of) so that we can run on it and get the equipment in and logs out, hunters basically get a pass to get out in the back country as the road is public as log sales are completed and keeps moving further out every year or so.

Right now we are working on sales from 28 1/2 to around the 33 mile marker, if we finish these sales this year, those 4 1/2 miles will be open to the public that wants to use it.

He must have been drinking. He mixed up your story with the OPs story. I tend to ignore his ramblings.

MaryB
11-30-2016, 12:15 AM
Back when I was 19 we were cruising around in a friends Galaxy 500. He headed down a hill towards a rail crossing and just before he got there I looked back and saw the barricades tossed in the ditch. Rails were fully exposed. We went from 30mph to zero in an inch(distance the rail bent) and we could hear the crankshaft pinging on the rail as the engine ran minus the front of the oil pan. Railroad tried to nail him for track repairs but I told the cop who showed up that the barricades were laying in the ditch so the road was open. He went back and took pics. Ended up costing the RR company a bundle for his restored 66 Galaxy 500, medical bills for my right knee when I used it to bend his front seat ahead 3 inches, he lost 2 teeth when his head racked off the steering wheel, and the other 2 people in the car had to get neck CT scans...

Came out in court that the RR maintenance crew had tossed them in the ditch while the dump trucks hauled off the old dug out pavement and they never replaced them. We hit it at 10pm on a pitch black night so you couldn't tell they were exposed.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-30-2016, 05:26 AM
It seems that once the insurance companies have you paying a particular rate, they are unlikely to decrease the rate, even if the value of your vehicle goes down.

For example, if you bought a new vehicle 12 years ago and had full coverage insurance on it for all this time, your insurance bill would still be the same (and possibly even more due to normal increases) than if you tried to get full coverage insurance on a new-to-you 12 year old vehicle. So, your insurance is not decreasing, but the amount that the insurance company might pay out is less since the vehicle is worth less and they will declare the vehicle a total loss sooner. So, they're still charging you the same amount, but their risk (i.e. how much they might end up paying on a total loss) is only 1/3rd of what it was when the car was brand new.

Or much less. A while back I paid £1395 for the sort of immaculate old lady's immaculate old Sunday morning car which dealers usually lie about, but it was all true. A couple of weeks later it was assaulted by an 18-year-old indulging in self-expression with his mother's car. My insurers offered £995 to write off the car for a dented wing and door, although £1395 was far below book value, although as it happened in a carpark well after midnight, it was hard to imagine them having much trouble extracting the money from his mother's insurance. I ended up paying for the panels and painting myself.

It would have cost him less than he'd pay in premiums for a few years, if he had just waited there to offer compensation when I turned up. You aren't obliged to report an accident with only material damage, and then don't have to admit it to insurers. Once there is a police file, insurers can invalidate some future claim for failure to disclose it.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-30-2016, 05:31 AM
He must have been drinking. He mixed up your story with the OPs story. I tend to ignore his ramblings.

Now just imagine how hurtful it would be, if you had vomited that way on someone who cared about your opinion?

Ballistics in Scotland
11-30-2016, 05:39 AM

You had described a ball joint failure at very low speed and apparently without hitting any bump. My point was that if a broken ball-joint can remain unnoticed for a smooth few hundred yards, the railway company might argue that their crossing didn't inflict the damage..

My mentioning the railway company, who generally do have tracks, should have made it clear that I was referring to the OP's case, and deprived one of your friends (as they are termed on the internet) of the high spot in his day.

Lloyd Smale
11-30-2016, 05:47 AM
make sure to let us know what your insurance company says. I'm real curious