PDA

View Full Version : Finer than Frog Hair .....

Mtnfolk75
11-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Our Pellet Stove wouldn't start during our first short cold spell in September, we heated with a little Electric Space Heater and then forgot about it ..... until it started getting cold again last weekend :-( Had a Service Tech out to clean and trouble shoot it on the 19th. Turned out it was in need of an Upper Auger Motor, which he thought would be about $150-200. I jumped on Google-Foo and found a motor for $37.50 with FREE shipping.

Long story, short .....

It came in today's mail, it was sunny & about 50*. Got it installed just as the temp plummeted and it began to SNOW ........ :p Now, I'm sitting in my recliner with a piping hot cup of coffee juiced with a shot of Carolan's while listening to the Pellet Stove whir & watching it gently snow. It is about 30.5* outside & there is 2" of Snow on the deck rails, Life is Great & Much Finer that Frog Hair ..... [smilie=s:

starmac
11-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Glad to hear it, and hope you get to sit back and enjoy the snow.
Our weather has cooled down, but no much needed snow to speak of.

runfiverun
11-26-2016, 09:12 PM
our last snow hit and stuck then froze in place.
it looks like maybe more tomorrow.

Mtnfolk75
11-26-2016, 09:19 PM
We started out with a forecast of 4-7" for tonite & another 4-7" tomorrow, over the past day or two the forecast has fluctuated a little. This morning it was 1/2" today, 2-4" tonite & another 2-4" tomorrow. We had 2+" before dark, now at about 3-3 1/2". Time will tell .....

starmac
11-26-2016, 10:25 PM
I sometimes wonder how they come up with the forecasts.
I was in a truckstop just east of Burlington NC one evening, I ate supper then went to the drivers lounge for a while. I watched the 10 oclock news and they were calling for snow flurries, right after the news I headed out to my truck and there was already a good 6 inches on the ground. My first thought was they have some beeeg snow flurries. By morning there was 23 inches, 11 inches was their all time record up till that storm, and the state of NC has 1 whole snowplow truck. lol

Mtnfolk75
11-26-2016, 11:59 PM
I heard that, February 28th, 83', I was loaded with Gypsum Board headed to SF. I was running a 2-axle COE Cornbinder with a set of 28' flats that had a fixed 5th wheel. The loader paid no attention to my loading mark and I was 2k heavy on the drivers :mad:, so I headed south from basically the MT/WY line intending to burn off fuel down to I-80 then run light on fuel at all the Weigh Stations.

I checked the forecast and it called for minor flurries after midnite. When I crossed the Great Divide it was about 11 pm and I had been up for about 20 hours, so I pulled into an Overlook Pullout and went bed. It was cold so I left the truck running with the heater fans on high, when I got too hot I would reach out and pull the fuel stop. When I got cold I would reach back out and push the stop back down then hit the starter. The second time I reached out I notice SNOW piling up on the wiper blades. I jumped up into the seat and discovered 6" of snow on the ground with more falling :shock:. That was a long & slow drive down to I-80 at Evanston, had some breakfast and went on my way really tired ....;)

runfiverun
11-27-2016, 01:34 AM
you should see the new parking lot in Wamsutter.
it doubled the room at the Love's.
I-80 in Wyoming can get super nasty anytime it snows even a little bit, the wind blows it across the free-way and it just gets compacted into ice.

I drove up and down that stupid road so many times,,,, I think I slept through half of the trip.

WILCO
11-27-2016, 02:03 AM
A warm fire is always great!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XSmGaL2bl10/TKuzrCAaTiI/AAAAAAAADHI/vQ4jkXlBC1s/s1600/IMG_1294.JPG

44man
11-27-2016, 02:10 PM
No pellet stove for me. neighbor had one, auger bearing failed and fire was going up into the pellet hopper.

Mtnfolk75
11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
/\/\/\/\ .... Bet he was WARM, at least for a while .....:kidding:

FWIW, this our 2nd Pellet Stove. Ran the 1st from 2006-20012 & this one from 2013 on. The technology has increased the reliability & efficiency significantly, our 1st stove struggled to maintain 65* in our 536 Sq Ft Cabin. The newer one will run you out in no time, it is 28.5* outside now, it has ran on the Low/Low Setting since about 0900 and it is 88.3* in here :???: BTW, the 1st one SWMBO ordered on-line in 2006 while she was on a Fire Assignment, it was drop shipped from the Manufacturer in Utah and was about $2.900.00. We bought the newest on at the local Ace Hardware for $1,300.00. Twice the stove ..... [smilie=s:

PaulG67
11-28-2016, 12:21 AM
We have used the same pellet stove for 20+ years and have replaced a few parts, I got the parts here.
http://www.pellet-stove-parts-4less.com

Mtnfolk75
11-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanx, I saved that website. I ordered my part off Fleabay from Mr. Pellethead, it came from a warehouse in Portland, OR.

Smoke4320
11-28-2016, 04:59 PM
I was in a truckstop just east of Burlington NC one evening, I ate supper then went to the drivers lounge for a while. I watched the 10 oclock news and they were calling for snow flurries, right after the news I headed out to my truck and there was already a good 6 inches on the ground. My first thought was they have some beeeg snow flurries. By morning there was 23 inches, 11 inches was their all time record up till that storm, and the state of NC has 1 whole snowplow truck. lol

actually NC gets a 1932 loaner from SC :) :)

Dark Helmet
11-30-2016, 10:32 PM

Wasn't March 1, 1980 by chance was it? Blizzard of '80 , we got 36" here in Elizabeth City, NC.

rundownbear
11-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Been a long time since I heard the "finer than frog hair" bit. Made me smile and appreciate my fireplace too.

starmac
11-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Wasn't March 1, 1980 by chance was it? Blizzard of '80 , we got 36" here in Elizabeth City, NC.

Nope, would probably have been 2000. I unloaded on I think a friday evening and knew I was stuck there for the weekend regardless, so I parked accordingly, to where anybody that hit me could only hit the trailer, and man was I glad when that snow hit. We were stuck there 5 days with the same cooks and waitresses, no one went home or came in.