PDA

View Full Version : drilling scope mounts

7 MM
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Is it possible to rill Model 95 and model 98 mauser receivers for scope mounts without removing the barrels? I have 1 each and finely want to finish them.
Is this something best left to a gunsmith or something I am able to do myself.

7MM

joatmon
06-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, very doable with alittle skill and a real good study of the action first. I use one piece
mounts for ease of alinement, get it straight, level and watch about not drilling throught
in the chamber and lug aera.
Aaron

M98
06-17-2008, 06:43 AM
you can alter the midwayusa/b-square drill jig to fit...grind down the end of one and it will slide right in...just make sure the stop still touches and your set...

HABCAN
06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
+1 on the one-piece mounts: easier (and stronger).

I have always assembled the complete rig, scope, rings, and base, and using 5-minute epoxy, set that on the rifle. The epoxy gives you a few minutes to ensure proper alignment.

When it has set, remove the scope and rings and center-punch through the base holes, then tap off the base, drill to proper depth and tap the holes.

Clean everything to remove factory oils and reassemble with blue Locktite.

Junior1942
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Here's the details of how I did mine. http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/m38-2.htm There's links there to even more detailed instructions.

HABCAN's epoxy idea is a good one, and I wish I had known about it. My scope is slightly off center. . . .

KCSO
06-17-2008, 10:09 AM
When I drill mine on the millinng machine I never take off the barrel. Just don't drill into the chamber! Two piece bases are harder to drill for as you need a GOOD setup to get the mounts lined up just right. This is no problem on a milling machine but I wouldn't try it on a cheap drill press vise.

quasi
06-17-2008, 11:22 PM
A Forster jig makes it almost foolproof. They do cost ome money.

Bret4207
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
I've never even considered removing a barrel to D+T for a scope. Use a jig or free hand it, both work, but the jig is safer. Get a copy of Brownells "Gunsmiths Kinks" to get some ideas.

Safeshot
06-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Both the B Square and the Wheeler Enrg. drilling fixtures do a nice job of centering and aligning the holes with the RECEIVER. Both can be easily modified to work with the barrel in the receiver as previously mentioned by M98. (After they are modified, they still align with the receiver.)

The Forster drilling fixture does a nice job of centering the holes in the receiver relative to the BARREL and aligning them with the BARREL. It is usually used with the barrel installed in the receiver. It does a very nice job as mentioned by quasi.

If the RECEIVER and BARREL are aligned accurately, the B Square and Wheeler fixtures work just fine and the holes will also be aligned with the RECEIVER and the BARREL.

If there is any misalignment between the receiver and barrel , The Forster fixture will reveal it and still align and center the holes relative to the BARREL. This will result in the scope mounts more closely aligning with the BARREL.

The Forster can also be used to drill and tap the receiver for receiver sights, the barrel for rear (barrel mounted) rear sight bases, front sight bases and/or ramps, as well as shotgun barrel front and mid shotgun bead sights. It also allows for relatively easy non-standard (or "custom") spacing of the holes.

The Wheeler is the least expensive.

The Forster is the most usefull and has a wider range of uses.

In my opinion, they all work better, easier and faster than trying to drill and tap for scope bases without the use of a drilling fixture.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.