PDA

View Full Version : Do You Guys Use a Powder Measure with Black Powder

Silver Jack Hammer
11-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I weigh each charge using a Lee plastic scoop and a scale. Does anyone use a mechanical bench mounted powder measure for black powder? I see Shiloh Sharpes doesn't list a powder measure for sale so I'm thinking that's my answer. I also use a 30" brass drop tube and an aluminium funnel, the fella at the local black powder shop said drop tubes aren't necessary for anything but competition loads.

JSnover
11-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I use a measure without a drop tube and the loads are plenty accurate for game. It isn't hard to mount a tube, I just haven't gotten around to it.

country gent
11-25-2016, 01:49 PM
I use a measure for BP, its a Belding and Mull. I drop the charge and weigh it then thru a 36" drop tube into the case. I like the B&M measure due to the seperate measure tubes that are easy to make. I can make them up and leave one Ided and set for each load. MVA sells a measure of their own manufacture, Hornady, lyman, Harrels have measures for BP ( normally a metal hopper instead of plastic). I do have some dippers made up but perfer the Measure. My one B&M measure is set up to use powder bottles for hoppers, I made an adaptor for swiss and olde ensford bottles for it.

Don McDowell
11-25-2016, 01:49 PM
I use a powder measure and check the charge weight on a scale. A 4 inch powder funnel extension does about as well as a long drop tube. Then compress the powder to achieve room to seat the bullet without distorting the bullet nose.

Nueces
11-25-2016, 04:19 PM
I think it's old lore that BP is measured volumetrically, not weighed.

salpal48
11-25-2016, 04:52 PM
I have been using and Old Lyman %5 for the past 40 years. . They were originally sold as for Black and smokeless.
never needed to change. just clean it works Fine.
I know most Guys will say You can't use them. original Lyman Instruction say different

country gent
11-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Almost all powder measures uses volumne not weight to throw the charges. Rotarys, Sliding, and others all use a cavity either bushings or adjustable cavity to get the correct volumne of powder. Unless you weigh every charge on a scales its a thrown by volumne load. Some measures do better than others at consistancy of charge thrown. Loads can be thrown light and trickled up on a scales for true weighed charges.

labradigger1
11-25-2016, 05:55 PM
B&m visible powder measure and 24" brass drop tube

bruce drake
11-25-2016, 07:04 PM
I found it is easier to just run the powder over a digital scale as I don't load more than 5-10 cartridges with the powder at the time for the one blackpowder cartridge rifle I own (50-70 Govt Springfield Trapdoor)

carbine
11-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Been using the B&M for 40 years. About 100,000 rounds, in competition and no drop tube

Gunlaker
11-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Actually Shiloh does sell powder measures. I bought my MVA measure from them.

For shooting short distances like the 220 yards where I often practice, you will never see a difference between a good powder measure and a scale. For longer distances, matches, or load development where looking for good muzzle vel SD's, I use the measure and then trickle up to the desired weight.

With Swiss 1.5 and the MVA measure, keeping the charge weight to within 0.3gr is pretty easy to to.

I used to use the Lee Scoops and then trickle up to weight, but I like the MVA measure more. I also have a Lyman #55 and a Harrel's Precision. I like the Lyman the least, and the Harrel's is in the middle. I can drop a more consistent charge weight with the Harrel's, but it's harder to clean. I mostly use that one for loading at the range.

Chris.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the posts, I really appreciate the info guys.

Gunlaker
11-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine and have a blast doing it :-)

rfd
11-26-2016, 07:55 PM
scoop and digitally weigh.

country gent
11-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Experiment a little with both ways and see what works for you and your rifle. Keep good notes on loads and equipment used. Basically the Load Data, how what and why, along with the range conditions and groups. Once you fingf the load make special note of the compression for X powder granulation. When testing a new bullet start there with the new bullet, Iy ussually gets you pretty close to where you need to be. IE if Olde Ensforde 2F needs .150 compression to perform in your rifle then with the new bullet find the load with Olde Ensford 2F that gives .150 compression. Good notes are important so you can repeat successes.

BrentD
11-26-2016, 10:26 PM
I use Redding powder measures, and then weigh each charge.

JSnover
11-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Consistency was more important than weight with BP and I imagine a scoop was easier to make and easier to pack than a scale.

rfd
11-27-2016, 11:05 AM

"old lore" meaning from what century? it was all volume for the most part in the 19th century for the cartridge loads of the buffalo runners.

ascast
11-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I use a B&M and have for ever. No drop tube. A Lyman/Ideal #5 is also all metal, so no fear of static spark. I also use an Ideal #6 for duplex loads. All measures use volume.

jrmartin1964
11-27-2016, 06:14 PM
I primarily use an Ideal No.5 to measure BP charges, occasionally a Lyman No.55. The beauty of these two is that the graduations on them were originally intended for measuring BP.

Oyeboten
11-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I weigh each charge using a Lee plastic scoop and a scale. Does anyone use a mechanical bench mounted powder measure for black powder? I see Shiloh Sharpes doesn't list a powder measure for sale so I'm thinking that's my answer. I also use a 30" brass drop tube and an aluminium funnel, the fella at the local black powder shop said drop tubes aren't necessary for anything but competition loads.

I set my "IDEAL No. 5" Dispenser to throw a charge which will weigh what I have in mind, and, this has been extremely accurate and consistent. I eep the Hopper 2/3rds full or more, also.

I am not loading for BP Long Arms though, only for .38 Special and .45 Colt, so, no need for me to be so fussy, but I just like the idea of consistent to a fine degree charges, merely on principle.

Kevin Rohrer
12-04-2016, 10:13 PM
I am just starting out w/ BP and use a Quick-Measure BP measure along with their 24" drop tube and a powder compression die.