PDA

View Full Version : How to tell monotype from foundary?

Newcast
11-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Is there any way to tell the difference between the two? Any help would be appreciated.

Mitch
11-25-2016, 10:38 AM
The problem is who ever cast what you have can put any alloy in the mold they want.So the only real way to tell 100% would be have it tested>If you have larger piece or ingots you could Harness test.This would not be good if you have a big box full of small type unlee you know 100% that is it made from the same batch of alloy

RogerDat
11-25-2016, 07:58 PM
someplace around there is some pictures of foundry and monotype comparing the two. Notch on the bottom back is I believe foundry, mono has a smooth foot. Unless I'm recalling that backwards.

Melt 5 or 10 lbs. pulled at random as a sample ingot, then get a tiny piece tested. Then you will know what the batch will yield. There are members here that will test a sample for one pound of lead. I would suggest keeping the bulk of the letters in original form, as letters it is always clear what it is. For you or if you wanted to sell any of it. Ingot can be anything, letters are clearly type.

MaryB
11-27-2016, 02:03 AM
From what I have found yes Roger you are right. Foundry has the notch, mono doesn't.