PDA

View Full Version : Big buck

44man
11-24-2016, 09:49 AM
My neighbor seen the biggest buck ever. He told me the buck could hardly hold the antlers up and they would span the entire windshield of his Ford PU.
Guess where? In my front yard. I know he will survive the season and spread genes.
We have does here that some I shot reached 200# dressed. I would not shoot the buck.
I never seen him but have seen some very large bucks and find 6" to 8" trees shredded.
Thousands of huge scrapes. I walk and find a scrape every 30 yards on trails. 3" trees broken off. But I am a meat hunter.

Powder Burn
11-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Did someone get into the magic sauce already? Thousands of huge scrapes? You need to thin them critters out. I can help.

claude
11-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Did someone get into the magic sauce already?

It might be those "special" mushrooms in the stuffing.......[smilie=w:HEH!!!

slim1836
11-24-2016, 10:42 AM
I've seen similar huge bucks but then I woke up.:mrgreen:

Slim

4719dave
11-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes ...its pretty early to be sipping already ..lol Although I hunt kansas once and ill never forget it scrapes and trees trashed every where .I've hunted upstate ny all my life and never ever saw this brought home a 10 pt scored 197 .:mrgreen:

swheeler
11-24-2016, 10:59 AM
With the rut in full swing be sure to wear your fanny pack directly over your fanny when hiking in his neck of the woods!:roll:

44man
11-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Yes, where I hunt and walk trails the rubs and scrapes are crazy. I seldom see the bucks. Put stands up for nothing but they are there. Night walkers!
I don't hunt the scrape lines anyway. I am at the transition from food to beds for a juicy doe.
Bucks move in rut, 10 to 15 square miles. I know this huge buck does not live here and to set up for him could mean a year in the stand.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2016, 11:11 AM
i had too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnHNqvOB42M

pmer
11-24-2016, 11:22 AM
The biggest buck I ever seen was tasty and is hanging on the wall! Unforgettable story too, had to track him from water dripping off his fur because there wasn't a drop of blood. He went straight up on his hind legs and fell in a pond at the shot. 94 Winnie 32 spec.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I only seen him for about 15-30 seconds as it darted across a field and stopped by the pond. For the first shot it was quartering to me and I aimed at the base of the neck ahead of the shoulder. Then he reared up and fell in the pond. He got up and tore off like a jet, I got two more shots as he disappeared in the brush. One was a miss the other only grazed his neck.
I had pretty high hopes because it sounded like he ran a little ways then went down and started thrashing. After 20 minutes I got down out of the tree stand to look for him and saw nothing. No deer, no blood and tons of other tracks and sign from other deer. I started zig zagging and circling back and forth as it was getting darker and darker. I finally took a knee and prayed to God for help to find him. Not long after that I started getting the idea about the pond, water and the deer being wet.
I went back to where I last saw him and sure enough there are drops of water on the ground! I followed the water on the ground only about 30-40 yards and start hearing something move up ahead. I stay on the water track and hear more movement and start moving towards the sound. Its really dark by now and I'm using a light and get to see him standing in the brush. It's a really thick bedding area and can only see his head and part of it's neck. Then I was able to bang flop him with a shot through the neck.

After a couple days I brought him in and he weighed 175 lbs. After field dressing I could only move him a couple feet at time by myself and got him out of thick stuff. I went back to house for a small 2 wheeled cart and got him to a tractor with a loader bucket. His rack is a non typical 16 pointer with 9 typical points. The other 7 points are split tines and 2 points that grew off center to the main beam on the left. He was the deer of the year for my area and I even saw a picture of him on some else's phone from when I brought him in to get processed.

Funny thing is it only ran about 100 yards and I was totally clueless until I prayed for help.

44man
11-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Oh wow, funny as hell.

Hardcast416taylor
11-24-2016, 12:43 PM
About 15 years back when I was just out of the hospital from a 6 way heart bypass and couldn`t hunt I did help a fellow hunter. On the property next to mine he shot the largest of 3 bucks working across his field. He gutted it then tried dragging it the 1/3 of a mile to his car. After 100 ft. he quit. He showed up on my deck blood covered and totally out of breath asking for help. I pulled on some clothes and drove my truck across the field to where a `tree limb` shone in the headlights. Those `tree limbs` turned out to be the biggest 12 point I had ever seen. Even gutted it was all we could do to just get the front end of the deer loaded. Finally we got it on the tail gate and I drove to his car. It took 3 people to load this buck into the back of a mini van. On X-mass day he paid me a visit and a large bag of deer meat. The deer weighted 215 lbs. according to the scale at where he had it processed. The rack hadn`t been scored yet and was at a taxidermist who claimed that to be the biggest deer he had seen in many years. The other bucks that escaped were 6 and 8 point and near the same large size the hunter claimed. There was a very large doe for several years we named `Elsie` for the Borden cow running around here. Due to some neighbors that have their own game laws these large deer have vanished. We see nice 6 and 7 or 8 point bucks, but are of average size. My Frau still rides my butt for helping that guy and me only a month out of the hospital.Robert

44man
11-24-2016, 04:02 PM
I can make do and put my friends in the best spots. My greatest pleasure is my friend with a deer.
We do not compete. I don't care if he gets the biggest buck ever.

GhostHawk
11-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Had one cross the road in front of the truck I was riding in once. He stopped and stared at us for a second then was off. As we are sitting there in disbelief and wonder someone asked if anyone got a point count.

Yeah, I did the left side and was half way down the right side at 14 when he left. No bull.

I would bet the farm on 16 but in my heart I know it was more than that. Some were not tall, some went down, but it looked like a forest on the move. His nose was gray back to his eyes and thin. And I suspect he died of old age in the middle of a big swamp.

Had not thought about him in years.

44man
11-25-2016, 10:43 AM
What I seen in Ohio could bring on the BIG one. I shot some large ones there but gave up on eating them. Biggest I seen would make 420# dressed with 18 points. Chainsaw meat!
I hunted one big buck for a while, had scrapes 10' in diameter. I seen him 3 times a day but not near enough for my bow. I shifted my stand over and over to see him in the open behind me. I gave up since I was out of vacation soon. I went where the doe were and shot one.
This was old strip mine areas that were stripped again for more coal and filled to smooth country and sold to hunt clubs and farmers. It was rough country with high walls and ponds all over and old homesteads with old apple trees. Down near Cadiz and at Sleepy Creek.
It is where we had Bigfoot experiences.

Norske
11-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Farmland deer do get quite large. They eat soybean leaves all summer, then switch to sunflowers and corn in the fall. They spend their winters in feedlots. A few years ago, a local farm supply store set up a balance beam scale so successful hunters of big deer (not me) could weigh their field dressed harvest. The store's records notebook indicated that the winner of the big doe contest had to be over 210#, and the big buck would have to weigh around 235#. The "big buck" contest winner was the best scoring rack of the 5 heaviest bucks weighed.

Powder Burn
11-28-2016, 05:15 PM
What I seen in Ohio could bring on the BIG one. I shot some large ones there but gave up on eating them. Biggest I seen would make 420# dressed with 18 points. Chainsaw meat!
I hunted one big buck for a while, had scrapes 10' in diameter.

That would have been a world record. Heaviest Whitetail
On a cold November day in 1926, Carl Lenander Jr. dropped a monstrous Minnesota buck with a single shot. Field-dressed, the deer weighed 402 pounds. The state Conservation Department calculated its live weight to be 511 pounds. No heavier whitetail deer has ever been recorded.

M-Tecs
11-28-2016, 05:27 PM
My neighbor seen the biggest buck ever. He told me the buck could hardly hold the antlers up and they would span the entire windshield of his Ford PU.

That would be 60" plus spread???????????????? and if real would be worth at least $250,000.00

44man
11-29-2016, 11:01 AM
That would be 60" plus spread???????????????? and if real would be worth at least $250,000.00
Seen one larger in Ohio. Guy shot it down in a deep valley. We drove in to see him at his Chevy station wagon. He was busted big time from dragging. He could not load the deer and it took 3 of us. The antlers touched the front windshield and the back window when we got it in. The deer was old on the downside so what was he a few years before?

44man
11-29-2016, 11:06 AM
The old bugger did not have many points, looked like a long horn cow. How he got through the woods and brush makes no sense.

Hamish
11-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Seen one larger in Ohio. Guy shot it down in a deep valley. We drove in to see him at his Chevy station wagon. He was busted big time from dragging. He could not load the deer and it took 3 of us. The antlers touched the front windshield and the back window when we got it in. The deer was old on the downside so what was he a few years before?

You are claiming to have personally seen or laid hands on two unknown world record deer?

44man
11-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Maybe I did. But back then it was not pushed so much. Just a big rack but meat that stunk.
I killed many large bucks but no record deer and could not eat them. Why kill them at all?

tdoyka
11-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Maybe I did. But back then it was not pushed so much. Just a big rack but meat that stunk.
I killed many large bucks but no record deer and could not eat them. Why kill them at all?

25 or so years ago, my dad killed a 9pt that was over its prime. it was scarred up and i would've like to see him 2 or 3 years ago. don't get me wrong, it was a 20" inside spread and main beams i could not get my fingers to touch my thumb. the buck had very little teeth but guesstimating it went 250+/- lbs. my friend and i dragged it about 50 yards to were the field started, my dad went on ahead to get his truck while the both of us had a heart attack. it took three of us to put it on my dad's truck bed.

anyway, the meat didn't stink. that big old buck had its last laugh when it was time to put up some steaks, it was just too dang rough to chew. that old buck was nothing but a stringy old shoe leather. now any buck goes right into deerburger.

TCLouis
11-30-2016, 01:53 AM
Big ol bucks and "Horse Head" does can be a bit tough.

A friend's wife killed two identical looking young 6 pointers out of the same stand two consecutive years.

Toughest meat I have ever tried to chew.
I mean could NOT chew it tough.
Another thing too . . .
Game camera pic here by the house only shows a hint of antler, but two very distinct puncture wounds in his neck from brawling.

44man
11-30-2016, 09:01 AM
My mail man hunts a neighbors and his daughter shot a fantastic buck with her 30-30. She always has to show up her dad. It is not the huge one. I will see if I can get a picture.