PDA

View Full Version : Help me about mold for casting lead fishing

hieubkhoa
11-23-2016, 10:36 PM
I want to produce a template for the lead cast for the picture. please tell me the most perfect molds way to produce it. thank you181363181364

Here is the finished product

runfiverun
11-23-2016, 10:52 PM
I don't know what you have to work with.
but you'll be making a 2 piece mold.
one drilled out for the basic shape.
and a second piece to replace where the hooks go and where the loop for the line goes.
you'll set the second piece in place then pour the lead in and let it cool for a few seconds to set up then pull the second piece out.
that will give you the weighted section to work from.
you'll have to make the wire section and put the whole assembly in a second mold then pour lead in to finish it all off.
the first and second mold can be made out of wood which is disposable but cheap and easy to replicate.
but the second piece for the first mold should be steel or copper or something similar with a hole off to the side to pour the lead through..

Mk42gunner
11-23-2016, 11:08 PM
I've never seen a rig with six hooks snelled on like that, what do you use it for?

Do-It (I think) used to make a mold that you inserted an 8/0 or so treble hook into then cast about a one ounce weight directly on the hook for snagging. Maybe they make something that will work for your purpose.

Robert

country gent
11-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Do It, Hilti ( I think thats the name) make alot of finshing takle moulds that are set up for the hooks or eyes as inserts making one pour possible. Alot of their sinker moulds use the lead as the eye to tie onto. Jig head use the hook as the insert. One other thing to consider here that might be a benifit is if a steel mould could be found the Zinc could easily be used instead of lead ( alot of states are banning lead fishing tackle now). At one thime there was a little twisting jig for light wire to make inserts for spinners, spreaders, and bottom bouncing sinkers. Look for Net craft on line or Janns they used to stock alot of this equipment. If you dont buy it the pics might give you an idea also.

hieubkhoa
11-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Thanks mod, you can send a few photos or drawn a simple simulation of mold ? I come from Vietnam, english is not good so sympathetic if writing is uncertain. Hope your help.
@ Robert. in Vietnam have a form called the fishing 6 hooks. see photo below
six hooks are handmade, the hooks tied and attached to the lead.
Six hook sink bottom mud. when fish is touching the fishing line the fisher will drag fast the rod, 6 hook will stick to body of fish

runfiverun
11-24-2016, 01:56 AM
okay I was thinking it was for squid.
i'll try to explain it a little better.

drill your main weight into a piece of wood it might come out a slightly different shape than the one you show [] <- probably like that.
but you'll need to make a piece of steel to replace the areas where the wire will go.
heat that piece up and set it in place and pour in the lead.
then remove the steel.
and knock your lead piece out of the wood.
insert your wire pieces into the lead piece.
your next piece of wood will resemble the first and you will insert the lead and wire into it.
you will have to make some grooves for the wire pieces to sit in.
drop all of that in place and pour lead into the slots to hold the wire and everything in place.

if you could make a 2 piece steel mold that would last longer, but the wood will make a few and you'll get better at it as you go along.
I made a 1" cylinder mold like that and used 2 pieces of wood [a 2x4 piece with the holes through it with a 1x6 piece as the bottom, I screwed the two pieces together]
I could separate them and knock the cylinders out of their holes.
this gave me a 6 gang mold.
you could make a cylinder like I did and drill out the middle and the slots to hold the wire then pour lead back in to fill everything out.
the 1" hole 1-1/2" deep weighed about 1 ounce. [@ 16 per pound or half kilo]

Mk42gunner
11-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

I think runfiverun's basic idea of a wooden mold would work, although I would use a slightly longer piece for one of the wires to form the loop.

Robert