PDA

View Full Version : Thermal sight recommendations

osteodoc08
11-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Looking for a thermal sight and have looked at the Armasight Zeus 336 and the FLIR RS32 line.

Has as anyone used these? Recommendations?

Usage will be yote and hog duty. Especially yote duty in the field behind my house. I'd be able to bait them and tag them from my porch with my 300 BLK. All shots under 200 yards.

ole 5 hole group
11-22-2016, 11:02 PM
I have no experience with thermal - I know a couple guys who do and when I talked to them they stated you get what you pay for - meaning they went inexpensive the 1st time around and were really disappointed. I think their thermal scopes used today cost them around $5K a couple years ago.

Just from looking at the specs I would think between those two thermal scopes the Zeus is probably better.

If you go with a silencer & thermal - you're going 1st class and I'm sure you will enjoy "ruling the night".

6mm win lee
11-23-2016, 11:36 AM
You want to find a TWS with the largest sensor you can afford to buy. The military sights come in three sizes, light, medium, and heavy. Commercial models seem to run in a similiar fashion. The lights typically have a smaller sensor than the mediums and heavies. The mediums and heavies have identical sensors and bodies with the front lens being the only difference. The PAS-13C light has a 320x240 detector where the medium and heavy models have a 640x480 detector.

I think a medium sized platform, commercial or otherwise, would be suitable for two hundred and under. Whatever you purchase read the specs from the manufacturer regarding man sized identification out to x yards or meters. Then see what the warranty is and how long is it good. It's your money. Spend it wisely.

What ever you do, do not purchase a PAS13C medium or heavy. The battery well has four spring contacts in it and two of the contacts get hot and corrode and cause a no power failure. The only way to fix the problem is to completely tear down the scope and replace the well.

Which brings me to my next point. Do not store your-soon-to-be-new-scope with the batteries in it. Never tempt fate or spend more money than you have to when it comes to electronic scopes.

See if you can try out any scope before you buy so you can see what it can and can not do. Sell the wife and kids if you find a PAS-13D or 13E. Good platforms both.

Good hunting.

RP
11-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Check out the ATN scopes I been looking them over not for the thermal but for filming of my hunting. The one I am looking at also has night vision. I been reading and joined a facebook page of owners. Still on the fence trying to decide if I really want one Thermals I believe start at 2 k.

Three44s
11-23-2016, 11:26 PM
I have a friend who bought the preceding model to this scope just over a year ago and I am very familiar with it ..........

........... Here is what they came out with in it's place in 2016:

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-hd-640-5x-50x

I can personally vouch for the detection ranges in my friend's 2015 scope and this year's model blows away my friend's scope and is priced 2K less.

I have personally detected with the 2015 model a group of elk grazing at 3.1 miles ...... 6 or 7 head in a loose formation. I have detected coyotes at 1200 yards and people at over 2000 yards ......

I did not believe it until I did it!

Three 44s

ole 5 hole group
11-24-2016, 11:00 AM
^^^^ Now you're talking. Once you get into the high end of recognized brands, you're into money and excellence performance. Dropping $6K to $8K on excellent thermal scopes is not for the faint of heart.;-)

I have a SIL, who has job skills that allow him to make very good money in short order and he's been thinking about high-end thermal and running a silencer at the same time. It's the Gov't wait and trying to justify everything in his mind that is the hold up but if the rumor about taking the silencer off the Federal restricted list comes about - I think he'll pull the trigger.

I sometimes find it difficult to operate the remote control on my electronic caller - changing settings on the fly using a high-end thermal scope would probably push me over the edge.:D

6mm win lee
11-24-2016, 11:44 AM
The specs on this scope is what it is all about. It has a 640x480 sensor, a heavy lens, and human identification at 600 meters. If you can identify a man at 600 meters, and not just detect him, you can identify an elk or a pig dressed as a man at 200 meters. And I like the price too.

I may have to put this scope on my 2017 Saint Swithin's Day gift list.

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-hd-640-5x-50x

RP
11-24-2016, 10:58 PM
I still cant pull the trigger on getting one yet lol I just wanted to record my hunts aggggggg