PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a slug mold

JohnClark7886
06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
If you have a slug mold that still works and you are not casting anymore and want to get rid of it please let me know, am particularly interested in either a sabot mold or a key mold, 12 gauge. Want to get into making my own but it's kinda steep for the mold and handles...about $110.00....thanks

crowbeaner
07-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Midsouth has the Lyman sabot slug mould for $47 and the Lee 1 oz. for $18. The lyman handles can be found on fleabay for around $20.

Shooter6br
07-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Had both The Lee was very inaccurate 1 ft flyers. The Lyman was able to shoot clover leaf 3 shot groups. This with a rifled barrel. Also get lee mold handles Cheaper that Lyman

JohnClark7886
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Had both The Lee was very inaccurate 1 ft flyers. The Lyman was able to shoot clover leaf 3 shot groups. This with a rifled barrel. Also get lee mold handles Cheaper that Lyman

Which Lee handle will fit the Lyman sabot mold?

Sig shooter
07-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I have an iron Lyman mold "foster" ( hollow dome / thimble ) 1 oz slug mold . There are a few posts / you tube video ,, showing 3" -4 " 50yd groups out of a smooth bore /imp. cylinder . Some write pure lead cast will expand while firing improves accuracy . The next guy says with wheel weights its the same schmear .

Lee handles fit my older Lyman mold .

Quality Molds have a good resale price , get the better sabot mold.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I have been using the Lyman Sabot Shocker mould for about ten years now. They were smart, it weighs 1 1/8ths ounces out of WW. Makes load work simple, start with trap load data. I have the Savage 210, the bolt action fully rifled barrel. I currently shoot a touch over 1900fps, so I have the equivalent of a scoped 45-70. The slug mikes .670" and is designed to be used in a trap wad. 2" at 100 yards for 3 shots. That is a magazine full.

Rich

crowbeaner
07-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey sharpshooter; what are you using for your load? I have access to just about any component combo so I can duplicate it. CB.

Fleataxi
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM

IIRC, the Lee mold is designed for SMOOTHBORE shotguns. A rifled barrel would really make it inaccurate!

Fleataxi

Christian for Israel
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
actually, the internal key in the lee slug is ideally suited for rifled barrels. of course, i haven't tried them in anything but smooth bores.

Dixie Slugs
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
The only wad we ever found that worked good in both smoothbore and rifled barrels with the one ounce Lee Key Slug was/is the Federal 12S3....it has no ridges inside the petals.
Regards, James

crowbeaner
07-22-2008, 09:25 PM
The bad part about the Lee slug is that it is terribly undersized even with a shotshell wad; mine mic at .675, which is about 16 gauge instead of 12. If I could get a mould that cast them at .690 or larger, I think my accuracy would improve. I tried the 12S3 wad, and it wasn't any better than the Waa12. I have yet to try a hard card of .125 under the slug yet. Funny the effing burglars didn't take the 3# coffee can full; must have been too heavy for their little sneak pansy @$$es.

Heavy lead
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Which Lee handle will fit the Lyman sabot mold?

I've a new Lyman key type sabot mould. Lee handles fit right on with no problem. Bought it from Midsouth.

Dixie Slugs
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Interesting indeed! I just went abck and pull some Lee Key slugs cast with WW, plus a little tin....they run rught at .680". The petals of the Federal 12S3 run at .027". So .027" X 2 = .054" + .680 = .734"...and that's what they mike total outside when they are inside the wad and including the wad petals. It may be that this mold is a liittle larger or it may be the alloy??????
We did try different wads and all of them that had ridges inside the petals were cut up and failed. We use a 20 ga .200" nitro under the slug.
It might work to drill a holei n the nose of one, epoxy a pin in the hole, and using a mild abrasive, spin the cavity out some. We did see poor accuracy when the slug was cast (as Lee says) fron pure lead. In that case, I think the slug upsets uneven in the wads??????
Regards, James

crowbeaner
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I tried to cast some from WW and 50/50 but they stuck on the pin and were pure H*** to get off. I used some pure lead with just a touch of tin and they fell right off. I miked several and they all measure the same. I might try the .200 card; I'll have to see if the guy that has the mould has any old stuff sitting around. WCTW I'll order some from BP. I'm interested in the diameter variation though.

Dixie Slugs
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I have found that with the Lee molds in general, and certainly the Lee Key Slug mold....they need smoking or coated with a mold release like Rapine.
Using the Rapine mold release...I even molded some from monotype
Regards, James