PDA

View Full Version : NEEDED - 4 Cavity, 125(ish) grain RNFP Mold - Iron

bjordan
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Hey Gang,
I am on the hunt for an iron, 4(or more) -cavity mold in the 125 grain range, RNFP and bevel base. I bought a 6-cavity Lee mold the other day and I am not thrilled with it - I babied it through one casting session and its already becoming finicky to line up after dumping the bullets. The bullets themselves are great, just a bit of a PIA re-aligning the mold and I don't think its gonna stand up to the use.

Is there an "off-the-shelf" 4 cavity iron mold available? I'd rather avoid the custom option.

Thanks for the help!

Dennis Eugene
11-22-2016, 10:40 AM
9mm??

bjordan
11-22-2016, 11:41 AM
9mm??

My apologies, for .38 special for cowboy action shooting.

fecmech
11-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Two things that may help with your Lee alignment issues. Tighten the mold handle nut as tight as you can and still have free and easy opening and closing of the mold. Next use a flat piece of steel or hardwood on your bench to set the bottom of your mold on as you close it. This will do away with any vertical misalignment of the mold halves. I've cast many thousands of the Lee 125rf bullets in their 6 cav molds with 0 problems. It is an excellent and very accurate bullet.

bjordan
11-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Two things that may help with your Lee alignment issues. Tighten the mold handle nut as tight as you can and still have free and easy opening and closing of the mold. Next use a flat piece of steel or hardwood on your bench to set the bottom of your mold on as you close it. This will do away with any vertical misalignment of the mold halves. I've cast many thousands of the Lee 125rf bullets in their 6 cav molds with 0 problems. It is an excellent and very accurate bullet.

Thanks, and I will try your suggestion and keep the mold as a backup, but I really want a iron mold with a bevel base. the Lee does not have a bevel base. I know some were made with a bevel base, mine is not.

Any leads on an easy to find 4 cavity iron, bevel base mold?

runfiverun
11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
lyman is your only choice for 4 cavity iron molds that ain't custom [only I can't think of a 125gr rnfp from them]
myself I'd get a 3-4 cavity from accurate.