PDA

View Full Version : Stores that sell build kits

archeryrob
11-21-2016, 09:57 AM
I am interested in a Lancaster style rifle or something similar. I tried looking at TOW and good lord a build it yourself kit is a grand and I got to put it all together, size and shape and blue it? Is there any cheaper places? Even the supplier that supplies them is just as expensive.

johnson1942
11-21-2016, 10:12 AM
pecatonica river longrifle supply may be able to help. also to me the lancaster is the most eye appealing style of all.

kenyerian
11-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Dixie Gun works might have something you would be interested in. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_193

kenyerian
11-21-2016, 10:52 AM
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?CatID=3&ShowLevel=1 The gun works has a good selection if you want to build without a kit.

rfd
11-21-2016, 11:03 AM
add tvm to your list, been around a long time, quality builds and kits.

http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/kits/

bubba.50
11-21-2016, 11:23 AM
for what you want it's unlikely you'll find anything decent for under a grand. if that's too much maybe you could look for a used ready-made one & re-do it to suit ya.

pietro
11-21-2016, 11:33 AM
I am interested in a Lancaster style rifle or something similar. ]

I tried looking at TOW and good lord a build it yourself kit is a grand and I got to put it all together, size and shape and blue it ?

Cadillac taste, combined with a Chevrolet budget, is counter-intuitive.

$1k isn't expensive, considering what you should end up with - the cost of a well-done, completed Lancaster will give you a heart attack.

After all, the Lancaster isn't a CVA (kit).

gnoahhh
11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Ditto. In this game you get what you pay for. TOW kits are top notch, IMO. Putting together a rifle from parts gathered hither and yon will cost as much in the end as a complete kit from TOW. Save your nickels or take on a paper route to finance what you know you will end up with in the end. Starting out with an el-cheapo and upgrading several times until you reach your goal will cost you a lot more in the long run.

KCSO
11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
I build customs and have seen the parts costs double in recent years. $800 and up is what it will cost you to build and the less you can do yourself the higher the price. A stock BLANK will run you $100 and up and a full inlet stock will triple that price. Lock it vrs finished lock about the same. Evaluate your abilities and see where you can cut costs, if you are good at metal and not wood a full inlet stock and a kit trigger and lock may be the way to go. You are trading hours for dollars.

mooman76
11-21-2016, 06:29 PM
If you are on a budget, try Cabelas or Bass Pros. Like others have said though, a good kit isn't gonna be cheap and even the good cheaper ones are going to run you well over $500 and probably closer to $1k

Hanshi
11-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Tip Curtis, Jim Kibler and TVM have great kits and the hard stuff has already been done, rr hole drilled, lock mortise finished, etc. Still a lot to do but nothing that needs special gunsmith tools. True, they cost close to 1K but at least a little under. You'll have wood shaping, barrel browning and stock finishing to do. Go quality, always.

charlie b
11-22-2016, 06:29 PM
It does depend on what you want to end up with. If the end result is a Traditions level quality gun, then get a Traditions kit. If you want a Pedersoli or better then start with a Pedersoli or better kit.

I'd go to Dixie gun works first and see what they have.

But....traditional muzzle loader kits are expensive. Why? Because the components are most of the cost. You save a little by doing it yourself, but, not much. The reason to build a rifle is mostly for your own satisfaction, not to save a ton of money.

To save money shop your local gun shops, pawn shops, etc. My local shop has a really nice Pedersoli KY flint rifle for a bit over $500. Can't get a kit for that much.

waksupi
11-22-2016, 07:23 PM
What ever you build, take your time. It's a lot easier and faster to build a $400 rifle from $900 worth or parts, than to make a $4000 rifle from the same parts.