PDA

View Full Version : XP-100 Questions

Danth
11-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Hello All: I purchased a project and I need some help. The barrel has been set back one thread, but the chamber face needs to be set back. Should it be set back so the closed bolt touches, or with clearance? Also, the barrel is marked 221 REM Fireball, but the "1" has been overstamped with a "3" an indeed it is chambered for .223. Was this how Rem marked their .223 barrels, or was this Smithed? I question as the "3" is of the right font and perfectly placed. Thanks

pietro
11-20-2016, 05:21 PM

I'm a little confused by your post, since if the XP-100 issue barrel has been set back & re-chambered for the .223 (correctly), there's no need for further barrel/chamber work.

And, no - AFAIK, no reputable gun factory would ever overstamp a chambering designation, which translates to: whomever did the conversion was also most likely responsible for the overstamping.

Pipefitter
11-20-2016, 05:37 PM
I have a XP100 in 223 and it is not overstamped, sounds like your barrel was re-cut to 223.

M-Tecs
11-20-2016, 05:41 PM
.010" is the normal bolt noise clearance of Remington's

B R Shooter
11-20-2016, 05:41 PM
First off, just stamping over the one without doing away with "fireball" is wrong. Second, if the barrel was set back a thread, the breach very well could be too close to the bolt. There should be .007" to .010" clearance. You have two surfaces to deal with, the bolt nose and the front of the lugs. It's not a big thing to do, you just need the clearance.

XPs are awesome! They shoot way too good! Do a little truing to the front face of the receiver, surface grind the recoil lug, put a good custom barrel and good chamber in it, and WOW! Love those things!

Ballistics in Scotland
11-21-2016, 06:41 AM
I'm a little confused by "chamber face". I don't believe as much as .007in. is necessary, but no part of the bolt or extractor should touch the rear of the barrel.

archangel2003
11-29-2016, 11:17 PM
I had one many years ago and was also re-chambered from 221 Fireball and they over stamped the 1 with a 3 just like mentioned by the OP.
When fired there were small brass flakes left on the bolt face, but MAN WHAT A FIREBALL IT MADE!
I hated the plastic stock so I got an unfinished one in a really nice figured walnut.
I never finished the stock and still have it in the XP-100 pistol case.