PDA

View Full Version : 32 S&W conversion cyl?

Tackleberry41
11-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Now that I have a gun using 32 S&W, I had looked at the 1863 pocket guns before, just never broke down to buy one. I know the conversion cyl comes with a warning about only use in a steel gun. Can understand it in a 45 colt. But the anemic loads I can use in a prewar S&W break top, seems hard to think those could ruin a brass frame to easy. Yea the factory 32 S&W I bought and had to pull for being to hot to use in that breaktop, might be to much for a brass gun.

Is it a worthwhile conversion? Guess none of the issues like with converting the 36 cal to 38spcl.

I would guess the same load I came up with for my S&W would work, 90gr lee in front of 1.2gr of trailboss?

bubba.50
11-20-2016, 03:42 PM
I've had the same questions regardin' the brass Remington style frames so, I'll be listenin' in on this one.

KCSO
11-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Well the originals were brass to start with but afaik they had longevity problems and they tended to shoot loose quickly. I have fit a cylinder to a brass frame to try out but so far have only put about 10 rounds through it using a 98 grain bullet and 10 grains of ffg. After a hundred or so rounds I might have a more informed opinion. It goes bang and groups the bullets.

mooman76
11-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Stout BP loads in brass framed revolvers will loosen the frames over time even those that are considered safe and within the recomended loads. Don't know about the Trailboss though.

Omnivore
11-22-2016, 02:42 PM
...just never broke down to buy one

Did you already buy the '63 pocket gun or not? Seems maybe you're asking a needless question. There is a choice. Get the steel framed one.