PDA

View Full Version : No more Number 1

11-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Lipsey's has apparently made it official in an email release to distributors, the Number One will be no more. Another fine rifle gone, what a shame.

Beagle333
11-20-2016, 12:44 AM
Oh my. And I wanted a closet full of em too! (I only got one)
I better start rolling coins!

Scharfschuetze
11-20-2016, 01:20 AM
I was just at the Lacey, Washington Cabella's store today. There must have been 7 or 8 of 'em in the Gun Library section. I rarely look at the retail racks, but I'll bet there were a few of 'em there too. Hopefully, one should be able to get one for the foreseeable future if he desires one. It was interesting that three or four of 'em were in African calibres up to the 458 Lott.

I've never shot one. Can you believe that?

therealhitman
11-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Thought the site got sold again.

Scorpion8
11-20-2016, 02:06 AM
Dang. Will have to move one of those to the top of my list. A #1a light sporter in 7x57 is my idea of a classic rifle.

Engineer1911
11-20-2016, 11:39 AM
I got two to put up for sale. Part of the stock investment fund. Hvy barrel 25-06 and std weight 7 Rem mag. Another fine investment opportunity come true!

Spooksar
11-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Sad to here this is the passing of a legend, Bill Ruger was a great person that brought us some very innovated firearms. Now under a corporation Ruger has went down hill, poor QC and some unique models been dropped sad to see. I have 6 No. 1's and just love them.

dragon813gt
11-20-2016, 12:02 PM
People do not want to spend $1,000 for a single shot. It's really that simple. This has been a long time coming. I look at them all the time but always pass due to cost. There is little draw for me and the price has always been to high. I hate to see historic models dropped from the line but this is the cycle of life.

country gent
11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Most People arnt looking for fine blued steel and fancy wood anymore. The aluminum and plastic have taken over. I have 2 nuber ones a 1V in 220 swift and a 1B in 300 win mag. Both look, handle and shoot great. Something to consider about price is people are willing to spend for what they want and as far as single shots Look at CPA, C sharps arms and Shiloh Sharps. They are back logged on orders and base on most is $1800 -$2800 with out any upgrades. Dakota and some others also ake somevery nice single shots on custom order. People are more interested in the ARs, FNs, and tactical than the deep blued steel and fine oil finished walnut right now. Ill bet the tooling is stored at ruger incase later use is wanted. I always wanted ruger to make a scaled down numner one in 22 long rifle. A med heavy barrel of 26" and nice wood would make a great small game rifle.

marlinman93
11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
People do not want to spend $1,000 for a single shot. It's really that simple. This has been a long time coming. I look at them all the time but always pass due to cost. There is little draw for me and the price has always been to high. I hate to see historic models dropped from the line but this is the cycle of life.

In today's market $1,000 for a nice new single shot rifle is chump change. Looking at what all the Italian imports sell for, plus the Winchester and Browning 1885 style High Walls sell for, the Ruger is cheaper.
In my opinion Ruger/Lipseys missed the boat on two marks to compete with import single shot rifles. They didn't offer the #1 in a 30" octagon barrel, and the design didn't allow a tang sight install with the safety location. Had they seen fit to slightly modify the safety, and offer heavier, longer, octagon barrels, they could have sold more and still had the sales of standard calibers and barrel weights. Probably could have also offered some other calibers like the short lived .38-55, or the never offered .32-40 too.

dragon813gt
11-20-2016, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see what the average age of a person buying a single shot is. I'm in my late thirties. No one my age wants one. I know there are always exceptions. I'm one when it comes to lever actions since people my age don't want them while I do. If bet the average age is skewed pretty high. And at that point it's a diminishing market due to nature taking it's course.

Small manufacturers that charge a premium can make a go at it for multiple reasons. Ruger can't because the profit margins aren't there. I'm sad to see it go. I've always wanted one. And it seems I should have picked up the one in 257 Roberts a few months back. There are lots of them around so they aren't going anywhere.

dtknowles
11-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Ruger could make money selling #1's at the current price but the volume is so low they have no interest.

The line of business is probably not something someone else would want to pick up either, to many other good high end single shot designs why pay Ruger for the tooling and design.

Ruger has grown into something different than when Bill ran the company. That was inevitable.

Tim

frankenfab
11-20-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm 48, and I would never buy a #1 for the same reason. I'm not paying $1000 for a single shot. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a couple.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-20-2016, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see what the average age of a person buying a single shot is.

He's a person who doesn't plan on a lot of missing mixed with his hitting.

I've never even laid hands on a Ruger No1, but I always thought that with investment casting at their command, what was wrong with making an internally closer copy of the Farquharson. It came into being by cooperation between John Farquharson and George Gibbs, who was more of a shotgun maker at the time. I always imagine the conversation:

"It ought to have a tang safety."

"Tang sight."

"Tang safety."

"Tang sight."

dragon813gt
11-20-2016, 02:09 PM
He's a person who doesn't plan on a lot of missing mixed with his hitting.

That's all well and good until you have multiple tags and there are multiple animals in front of you. I have three doe tags for one WMU and I will take multiple shots if I have the opportunity. I don't remember the last time I needed more than one shot per animal. But I do know I've had the opportunity to take a few at a time.

RonT
11-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Well ain't that just dandy. I've actually been considering rebarreling my Swift to something compatible with Ohio's recent straight wall cartridge for
Whitetail deer law. May have to wait and see what the market does.
Cheers,
R

robg
11-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Fancied one myself but I'd be scared I'd ruin it ,too pretty for me ,but one with cheap wood /or plastic stock as a working gun for hard use would be idea for me .

B. Lumpkin
11-20-2016, 02:48 PM
IMO, the #1 has earned a less than stellar reputation for accuracy over the years. I have no problem spending $1,000 on a single shot, but I won't spend that money on a #1 when for a couple hundred bucks more I can get a nicely done single shot with a much better reputation for accuracy.

To me, accuracy is top of the heap in the decision to purchase a firearm. Everything else, to me, is second to that. Thankfully in todays world I can get top notch accuracy and looks...just not from Ruger.

johnson1942
11-20-2016, 03:16 PM
i agree with b.lumpkin, much better single shots out their,like my cpa.the number one isnt noted for its accuracy. my cpa is a tackdriver at any range.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-20-2016, 03:24 PM
IMO, the #1 has earned a less than stellar reputation for accuracy over the years. I have no problem spending $1,000 on a single shot, but I won't spend that money on a #1 when for a couple hundred bucks more I can get a nicely done single shot with a much better reputation for accuracy.

To me, accuracy is top of the heap in the decision to purchase a firearm. Everything else, to me, is second to that. Thankfully in todays world I can get top notch accuracy and looks...just not from Ruger.

That is true about the reputation, but every well described case I have heard of was due to the peculiar forend arrangements, on a hanger protruding from the action. I'd be happier with the system that I have had good results with in other single-shots, a fairly short forend firmly glass-bedded to the barrel with a screw about a third its length from the action, and with only a brown rubber sheet pad inlaid in the wood to even out pressure on the action face.

That won't give you benchrest accuracy. Hardly any two-piece stock will. But it should rank with the best of those, and that is all you need.

As to speed, a semiautomatic beats everything but a double rifle for speed and lack of betraying movement. But a single shot with a cartridge or two in a wristband - your watch-strap will do - gives away very little in speed to a bolt-action, and will probably be quieter.

dverna
11-20-2016, 03:40 PM

Completely agree. The No 1 never had much of an accuracy reputation. I owned one in .25/06 and was not impressed with it. Sold it after a few years.

Don Verna

Lucky Joe
11-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Years ago a fellow on the Ruger Forum had a No1 in .357 one of my favorite calibers, I think he was at the naval academy. Anyway he needed money and had to sell, I had 3 small children and couldn't buy. Eventually ended up with an H&R .357 for a whole lot less money and it can shoot. So I didn't get what I wanted but I kinda did.

dtknowles
11-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Fancied one myself but I'd be scared I'd ruin it ,too pretty for me ,but one with cheap wood /or plastic stock as a working gun for hard use would be idea for me .

You just describe the #3, I have one in .22 Hornet and because it was not expensive I felt comfortable making the modification I wanted. All it needs now is a new metal butt plate to replace the ill fitting plastic one.

Tim

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-21-2016, 01:16 AM
wait until they start hitting $2000+ for a clean used one...

marlinman93
11-21-2016, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see what the average age of a person buying a single shot is. I'm in my late thirties. No one my age wants one. I know there are always exceptions. I'm one when it comes to lever actions since people my age don't want them while I do. If bet the average age is skewed pretty high. And at that point it's a diminishing market due to nature taking it's course.

My guess would be it's folks who are mostly over 50 yrs. old. I know numerous guys in their 30's and 40's who collect or shoot single shots, but most likely I meet more because I buy and sell only single shot rifles, so have more exposure to them. I will add that I get a good number of young guys who are very interested, but don't hesitate to say the prices are what keeps them from purchasing a good new or old single shot rifle. But they have the same issues with old leverguns that bring huge prices also. Or fine old guns of any type that have sparked collector interest.
As for hunting with a rifle. When I hunted with a bolt action rifle I rarely got any situation where I could take more than one shot. Rarely I had to take a 2nd finishing shot, and on one occasion I had the opportunity to take a 2nd shot on another animal. I always have a 2nd round between the fingers of my offhand, and practice quick 2nd shots at the range. If a finishing shot is needed, I can reload almost as quickly as many guys chamber a second round in their bolt gun. But mostly the game takes off quickly after a shot, and a 2nd shot is rare, regardless of what I shoot.

marlinman93
11-21-2016, 01:40 PM
wait until they start hitting $2000+ for a clean used one...

And that wont be long now that they've been discontinued! The days of buying one even used for under $1,000 will be a distant memory quickly!

Jedman
11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Back in 1981 I had my FFL, mainly for buying my own personal guns and remember when Ruger was quitting with the number 3 rifle. I could buy them for $ 169.00 ea. or in lots of 10 for $ 155.00.
It wount happen overnite but I can see the price of number 1 rifles steadily rising to where people will be saying I wish I would have bought one when they under $ 1000.00.

Jedman

historicfirearms
11-21-2016, 05:34 PM
A nice #3 is about $700 now. Buy the #1s while you still can.

Outpost75
11-21-2016, 06:19 PM
The No.1 was never a high-volume item. In the 1980s when I visited the NH operation where they made them all of the No.1 production was produced by two men, an older guy, and a younger one being trained to take over so that Ronnie could retire. Combined production from both buys was a rack of 30 rifles a day. It wasn't a full time job for the second man, because he also did customer service repairs. Yearly production was only about 1000, with another 500 or so barrelled actions being sold to the custom gunsmith trade and for export.

The No.1 can be made accurate, it's all in the fitting of the fore-end hanger and wood. I've owned them in .30-'06, .375 H&H, .45-70 and .458 Win., but no longer have one. I gifted the '06 to my brother and sold the others over the years. These days I prefer my single-shots as light walking guns under 5 pounds in light calibers. Currently I'm playing with a 5 pound single-shot in .455 Mk I which is nearly silent with 265-grain cast bullets at less than 800 fps. I can shoot without ear protection and happily ring the 12" steel gong shooting standing at 100 yards with open sights. The "clang~!" of bullet hitting steel is louder than the muffled "pop" of the rifle going off. Cat Sneeze indeed!

Drm50
11-21-2016, 07:26 PM
I've got 2, #1s and 3, #3s. Just picked up a 375 Win #3 a few months ago. Plan to use it next
week for Ohio deer. I'm in SE Ohio, any #3 in nice condition around here is $1000, same as most
#1s. Ruger made a special run of #1 45/70s for Lyman back in 80s. Came in wood case with
a old style scope. Wanted one but never got around to it. I always thought they could sell a few
#1s in long barrel models for vintage cals. Not only Ruger, but all the better 45/70s all make the
short barrel guns.

Artful
11-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Shame, I have # 3's (.223 & 375) and always liked them better than #1's.

But I will search for a decent condition/price #1 now
- Always thought a 405 WCF in #1 would be an excellent build.

MFGordon
11-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Right about the time they werediscontinued, I had it in my mind to order a Ruger No 3 in .22Hornet. The dealer price, buying through a gunsmith friend of mine,was about $189 (if I remember correctly). None were to be had fromany distributor and from then on I looked and looked to find one,but thinking in my mind that it was an inexpensive gun, I didn'tthink to pay the ever increasing price tag that was on each No 3 thatI found for sale. Finally after many years I decided to bite thebullet and pay $500 for a No 3 in .22 Hornet that I had wanted somuch. As one poster here said the going price for a No 3 right nowis about $700. So my guess is that in a few years, that $1,000 RugerNo 1 is going to seem cheap.

I guess I should have bought that No 1in Stainless with a laminated stock in 7.62x39 that I saw at my LGS afew years ago.

tdoyka
11-22-2016, 12:05 AM
i really like my #1 in 270. i never had an accuracy problem...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/tdoyka/1437597572028.5_zpswepzm3r9.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/tdoyka/media/1437597572028.5_zpswepzm3r9.jpg.html)

a 130gr nosler bt and a max charge of imr4320( on the left) at 100 yards.

ruger lost a good one. its a shame that bill's company no longer likes wood and blued steel. just a dang shame....

lotech
11-22-2016, 01:39 AM
I've had four #1s in the last thirty or so years. Three of them, two #1-Vs and a 1-B would not hold a zero for any length of time. I still have two #3 cast bullet guns, a .30-40 Krag and a
.45-70. These maintain their zero and are quite accurate.

marlinman93
11-22-2016, 02:19 PM
The issue I had with accuracy on 3 different #1's I owned was simply based on barrel temperature. A cold barrel would shoot very small 3-5 shot groups every time. Once they warmed up from long sessions at the shooting range, the groups began to open up. I tried DeHaas' fix of adding a 1/4" setscrew to the hangar to put pressure on the barrel, and it did help a little. But it didn't totally fix the issue.
But considering I used the guns as hunting rifles, where long strings were never done; they were more than accurate enough! I just never considered them for a competition based rifle.

Traffer
11-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Speaking of a cartridge or two in the wristband, (this may be the ultimate newbie question) years ago a friend of mine told me that his father had a double barreled shotgun and held two more shots between his fingers that held the forearm. He said that his dad could reload really quickly that way. Do people shoot that way? Or would the recoil cause the extra shells to fly out of your hand?

That is true about the reputation, but every well described case I have heard of was due to the peculiar forend arrangements, on a hanger protruding from the action. I'd be happier with the system that I have had good results with in other single-shots, a fairly short forend firmly glass-bedded to the barrel with a screw about a third its length from the action, and with only a brown rubber sheet pad inlaid in the wood to even out pressure on the action face.

That won't give you benchrest accuracy. Hardly any two-piece stock will. But it should rank with the best of those, and that is all you need.

As to speed, a semiautomatic beats everything but a double rifle for speed and lack of betraying movement. But a single shot with a cartridge or two in a wristband - your watch-strap will do - gives away very little in speed to a bolt-action, and will probably be quieter.

Mauser48
11-22-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm 17 and I want one. Not paying $1000 for one though. For that money I'd get a pedersoli sharps.

tdoyka
11-22-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm 17 and I want one. Not paying $1000 for one though. For that money I'd get a pedersoli sharps.

$325 from a gun show in 2007.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/tdoyka/113444dc-e1b7-4277-9ca0-880bdcfd9c49_zpsots6x0b9.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/tdoyka/media/113444dc-e1b7-4277-9ca0-880bdcfd9c49_zpsots6x0b9.jpg.html)

i believe its from 1973...

Pmg
11-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I have one in stainless steel with laminate stock, sitting in safe never really liked the weight of it for hunting.

Wayne R. Scott
11-22-2016, 10:13 PM
I have my No.1V that was originally .22/250. I sent it off to JES and had it re-bored and re-chambered to .338-06. With a 210 gr Nosler Partition at 2750 fps it shoots minute of elk out to 400 yards or so. I probably ruined its collector value, but that will only affect my heirs because it does what I want it to do now.

Nueces
11-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Speaking of a cartridge or two in the wristband, (this may be the ultimate newbie question) years ago a friend of mine told me that his father had a double barreled shotgun and held two more shots between his fingers that held the forearm. He said that his dad could reload really quickly that way. Do people shoot that way? Or would the recoil cause the extra shells to fly out of your hand?

I've read of shooters doing this, African double rifle hunters also. Try it, I think you'll find the rounds to be quite secure.

Another data point - I've seen cowboy action shooters rapid fire a 97 pump gun by palming up to four 12 gauge rounds in the left hand and feeding singles into the open action over the top, while using that hand also to pump the gun open and closed. Fast!

rfd
11-22-2016, 10:33 PM

hah! like what was posted above, there's a 20 month wait on a bare bones no frills shiloh sharps, i've only got a year to go. :) the bpcr s/s rifles are doing fine because THAT is what their game is all about and those are the proper tools. ain't no game that demands a #1 or #3, wrong century of origin, but they is fine for what they are, what they can do, sad to see the #1 go the way of the dodo.

Fishman
11-22-2016, 11:07 PM

I used to hold one in my left hand as a young man hunting with a single shot 20 gauge h & r. Sometimes I would run with two extras. It was relatively easy to get two shots off at a flock of ducks as the shotgun was equipped with an ejector. I still have that gun and the forearm finish is all worn where I held those extra shells.

the technique I used was to hold the shells with the brass head between my fingers and the rest of the shell sticking out, much like a cigar. Fire, press the barrel release, barrel drops and empty flies over right shoulder as left hand feeds the new shell into the chamber. Close barrel and repeat.

samari46
11-23-2016, 12:44 AM
This begs the question, is it lipsey's that is discontinuing the selling of #1's or Ruger has stopped making them. Just got a flyer from Cabela's and they had them on sale for black friday. Frank

Ballistics in Scotland
11-23-2016, 06:16 AM

They do, and sometimes with big game or shotgun rounds that recoil more than most No1s. What I'm not so sure of is whether they walk over ruts and windfalls for an hour or two, and operate the tang safety, like that. I'm sure somebody will sell you a near cordura wrist bandolier or one elasticated to fit the butt. Big game hunters weren't just showing off with those cartridge loops on their chests, either. It is handy with the rifle shouldered and something monstrous coming at you, and it give the least chance of denting a cartridge you will badly need to go in smoothly.

Tatume
11-23-2016, 08:51 AM
The Ruger web site shows the No. 1 and several new chamberings.

dragon813gt
11-23-2016, 08:54 AM
This begs the question, is it lipsey's that is discontinuing the selling of #1's or Ruger has stopped making them. Just got a flyer from Cabela's and they had them on sale for black friday. Frank

Ruger stopped making them as a regular production item a few years ago. Lipseys has been ordering small runs each year since. Lipseys saying the rifle is done effectively kills it. Doesn't matter if it's because they aren't going to order anymore or it's because Ruger won't make any more for them. The Cabelas sale is on current inventory.

gewehrfreund
11-23-2016, 10:05 AM
The Ruger web site shows the No. 1 and several new chamberings.

File that one under "old news"

Bad Ass Wallace
11-23-2016, 04:47 PM
The No.1's will remain the basis of many custom rifles like this 45/120 Sharps. Prices here in Oz are around $AU2400 for a No.1 down to $AU1600 for a No.3. I have an original factory rifle in 22PPC (1993) of which I believe they shipped only 100 from the factory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/45_120_Sharps.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/45_120_Sharps.jpg.html)

Drm50
11-23-2016, 05:11 PM
I have a decision to make before opening day Monday. Got my #3/ 375win. Tuned up with Speer
235g SS boolits. Rifle shooting excellent, used a lead sled to super tune. I was a happy camper.
Went to clean the rifle and found the barrel band had shot loose. Don't know if I should retighten
or leave alone. Any thoughts on this?181337

Jack Stanley
11-23-2016, 10:00 PM
The number three I used to have was accurate enough for what I wanted to do except for one thing . Every day I took it out it had an new point of impact different from where it was sighted in . That and other issues with Rugers seem to make them the best factory assembled do it yourself kits available .

It is to bad they are done making them , I have always thought the number ones looked very classy . For a while I was looking for one of Lipsey's done in .44 magnum hoping I could get lucky and not have to work on it .

Jack

Tatume
11-24-2016, 08:49 AM
At present I own five Ruger No. 1 rifles, the fewest I've had in quite some time. None of them have required any work whatsoever to shoot sub minute of angle. The No. 1V in 223 Remington shoots 1/2 MOA. Every No. 1 rifle I've ever owned performed similarly.

Tom W.
11-24-2016, 10:57 AM
I had two, both #1B's. The 7mm Rem mag I put a Moyer's trigger and limbsaver and was my go to rifle. I used it for a number of years and sold it last year after my cancer surgery. The other is a 30-06 that I had rechambered to 30-06 A.I. I had the trigger worked over on that one. In light of the OP I may keep it for a spell. I have used single shot rifles for years, both the NEF .270 and the NEF 30/30, and still have the latter. Shooting multiple deer never presented a problem with any of the aforementioned rifles.

marlinman93
11-24-2016, 02:33 PM

I understand, but don't agree. A nice old original single shot rifle will cost you more, but will also hold it's value, and even go up in value. An original single shot rifle from a major manufacturer is an investment you can enjoy and shoot a lot. Then years later you can sell it if you want and get more than you paid for it. Can't do that with almost any brand new rifle, especially a Pedersoli or other import.
I've owned old single shot rifles from Marlin Ballard, Winchester 1885, Stevens 44 and 44 1/2, Rolling Blocks, Hepburns, etc. and never lost money when I decided to sell one later. Better investment than the stock market for sure! And much more fun to own than stocks too!

BCRider
11-24-2016, 07:05 PM
.....In my opinion Ruger/Lipseys missed the boat on two marks to compete with import single shot rifles. .......

If you're going down that road consider that the Farquharson action without the exposed hammer also removes the Ruger No1 from any chance of being used in the currently popular SASS long distance matches. Something I suspect drove the choices that the Italian companies are producing.

If the SASS rules were a little different there might well be a lot of life left in this design.

JSnover
11-24-2016, 10:29 PM
I can't comment on the #1 but the first time I tried a single shot I was hooked. There will always be a market for them as long as folks are willing to try something new (or old in this case). My first was a Buffalo Classic (cheap!). My latest is a Haehnel (NOT cheap, but it fascinated me). Those two plus a Lone Star RB are right at home next to my FAL, SMLE, 1894 Marlin, etc.

DocSavage
11-25-2016, 07:52 AM
When the No 1s first came out I wanted one desperately but were virtually impossible to find. I'm left eye dominant so the No 1 appealed to me right off the bat. Since then I've had a 223 and a few 45/70s took a lot of ribbing as everyone was going to ARs and there I was with a turn of the century single shot.

marlinman93
11-25-2016, 02:20 PM
If you're going down that road consider that the Farquharson action without the exposed hammer also removes the Ruger No1 from any chance of being used in the currently popular SASS long distance matches. Something I suspect drove the choices that the Italian companies are producing.

If the SASS rules were a little different there might well be a lot of life left in this design.

There are other venues that also don't allow hammerless guns, regardless of age. It's been a real issue with not only the Farquharson, but the Sharps Borchardt. Seems a shame that this rule persists and eliminates some quality arms, and even more so some very old period single shots!

dtknowles
11-25-2016, 03:23 PM
There are other venues that also don't allow hammerless guns, regardless of age. It's been a real issue with not only the Farquharson, but the Sharps Borchardt. Seems a shame that this rule persists and eliminates some quality arms, and even more so some very old period single shots!

Yeah and the rules against double action revolvers bugs me too.

Tim

tdoyka
11-25-2016, 04:05 PM

that seems like a good idea!

i've liked single shots since i was 12 y.o. i was out hunting deer with my dad when i saw ruger #1. we where walking up to a guy who just shot a buck and was about to field dress him. then i saw it, a ruger #1. i forget how many points the buck had(might have been a 4pt, could have been a 6pt?) but that single shot had me enthralled. i asked him what kinda caliber is that? he replied a 7x57 using a 175gr round nose. at that point i was hooked. i've wanted a ruger #1 in 7x57 for 30+ years. i only have one, a ruger #1 in 270 win that i got from a gun show. it ain't no 7 mauser but it can put the deer down!

since my stroke(about 5 years ago), i've been using a single shot for hunting. now it can be a tc encore or a #1( i use a '98 springfield armory in 30-40 krag, but that has been a single shot since i put on a redfield peep sight) and i've gotten away from bolts, levers and pumps. i doubt that i will use a semi-rifle and handguns now that governor of PA has declared them legal to use(PA game commision will decide on which guns and how many bullets it can shoot). i've shot semis and fully automatic guns in the army(i do luv the ma duece!) but for me, a single shot requires a single kill. i don't believe in a follow up shot, its my own ethics. if you can't shoot at the game more than once, why are you shooting the game a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time. like i said, its my ethics, not yours.

its just a dang shame that ruger does not do the #1 anymore. it was and is true hunting gun.

country gent
11-25-2016, 04:40 PM
I beleive the canadian BPCR do allow the hammerless rifles still. Alot of number 1s are used there for BPCR long range and other matches. The Number 1 is a fine rifle with the classic lines not seen in other rifles. I think a base could be made and the tang saftey modified to use a tang mounted sight with out to much trouble. A bridged base over the saftey and a pin or side lever added to yhr saftey to the side, (like a hammer spur extension for other scoped rifles) This wouldnt be hard to make or install. The U.S. rules do limit the rifles alot but also tend to stop some of the race gun thinking. I really like both my Number 1s alot and use them when ever appropriate. The swift is a great woodchuck gun and saves me alot of walking LOL. The .300 win mag is a great big game rifle and does very good for me. The number 1 with a 26" barrel is still shorter than a repeater is with a 22" or 24" barrel. Balance just seems better on the single shots also.

Good Cheer
11-25-2016, 06:19 PM
No.3's don't seem to need the barrel band.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/38LC_zpsusxxl2gs.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/38LC_zpsusxxl2gs.jpg.html)

dtknowles
11-25-2016, 07:01 PM
No.3's don't seem to need the barrel band

nope, I took the band off mine and reshaped the forend and refinished the wood.

What is the parent brass and is it a true 38

Tim

Good Cheer
11-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Designed for #375296, 45-70 case with neck length to cover the lube.

dtknowles
11-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Designed for #375296, 45-70 case with neck length to cover the lube.

I like it but still more thump than I need, good job.

Tim

SierraHunter
11-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Sad to hear this, but can't say I didn't see it coming.

Ed in North Texas
11-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Well ain't that just dandy. I've actually been considering rebarreling my Swift to something compatible with Ohio's recent straight wall cartridge for
Whitetail deer law. May have to wait and see what the market does.
Cheers,
R

You might consider a TC Encore instead of rebarreling a #1. TC makes a factory bbl in .460 S&W and specialty makers (e.g. Bulberry) makes barrels in a number of the straight walled cartridges legal in OH. That way you get to keep the #1 as is to see where the prices go (likely only up). Even though .220 Swift isn't a highly popular cartridge any longer, there will always be someone wanting one (mine is a 77v) or the rifle for the action.

FergusonTO35
11-29-2016, 10:16 PM
I've always seen the 77 and the #1 as having the same basic problem. Both are more expensive than their competitors, which means they aren't going to score many sales among average hunters who see absolutely no reason to pay more than what the Remington 700 or Savage 110 costs. The wide variety of calibers, finishes, stocks, and other options puts the 77 and #1 in the category of a cheap semi-custom rifle. The problem is, they usually won't shoot well enough to please the crowd that buys such rifles, they expect sub-MOA out of the box. And why shouldn't they, when many rifles costing half as much often do?

So, both of these rifles are stuck beween too expensive for Mr./Ms. Typical Hunter and won't shoot well enough for the rifle nerds. Given this quandary it is amazing they have stayed around as long as they have. Same for the 77/44. A Rossi 92 costing half as much will usually outshoot it and not have the wandering zero that has always haunted the 77/44.

dragon813gt
11-29-2016, 11:37 PM
They discontinued the 77/44 and 77/357. I have a M77 Hawkeye and it's plenty accurate. I was willing to pay the premium for an all weather model that's controlled round feed. $900 isn't that much and this was years before the American line came out. I still prefer the M77 over the American, I own one as well, but I see why people like them. They are a tool and nothing more.

Dryball
11-30-2016, 02:05 AM
I'd probably buy one in a second if I could find someone to do the side-lever conversion.

FergusonTO35
11-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the 77 and #1 but lever actions are more my thing in wood/blue rifles. Plastic stocks and stainless steel do have a place in the world. When I look at all the dings on the Tupperware of my Howa 1500 from clambering up and down treestands and think of all the times that rifle has been misted with rain and fog I sure am glad I didn't subject my JM Marlins to that!;)

rockrat
11-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Artful, Ruger did chamber the #1 in 405Win. Blued/walnut and Stainless/laminated

Multigunner
11-30-2016, 11:06 PM
Perhaps someone will cut a deal to manufacture the No,1 action under license for sale to custom gunmakers.

dtknowles
11-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Perhaps someone will cut a deal to manufacture the No,1 action under license for sale to custom gunmakers.

They would not need a license, patents would be expired, can be cloned like 1911's, Colt Cap and Ball Revolvers and Peacemakers, S&W's that have been copied by Spanish and Tarus. What you might want to buy from Ruger would be the dies to make the molds for casting the receivers.

Tim

joatmon
12-01-2016, 12:40 AM
Only have one now but would like one in 22Hornet, 44mag and 375H&H. The one I have is a 7x57 International.
Aaron

marlinman93
12-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Not sure the #1 Ruger is more expensive than it's competitors? Unless you start lumping in single shot rifles that aren't as nicely stocked, with lessor fit and finish. I would say Ruger #1 competitors are not those guns, and of the guns with equal finish, fit, and wood quality, the #1 is not more expensive. Since it was almost to the point of being a custom with Lipsey's being the sole distributor, and runs limited to what they ordered. It's much cheaper than many other single shots of equal quality and limited production.

As for custom safeties and barrels, I've seen a couple done up right. One was offered me a long time ago, and I still regret not buying it! The builder was a friend and he had installed a 30" full octagon barrel in .32-40. For the sights and safety, he built up a base that straddled the safety and mounted a vernier midrange tang sight. He removed the factory safety lever and built a new lever that offset the operation to the left side of the tang sight base. A nifty setup, and a very accurate gun! He removed the factory forearm and after inletting the wood for the octagon barrel, he reshaped it to a traditional Schnabel style forearm that was slim and very nice looking. Topped it off with an ebony insert for a classic touch! $900 back about 12-14 years ago seemed a lot of money to me for a reworked Ruger #1, but even then it was a steal!