PDA

View Full Version : Opening day buck

Silvercreek Farmer
11-19-2016, 11:40 PM
181030Got a nice buck (for me) this evening. I hunt a hayfield that is around 200 x 200 yards. He came trotting right down the middle of the field. When I scoped him I could tell he was a decent buck, but didn't really try to count points. I hunt for meat not trophies, so a deer is a deer. I held on him waiting for him to slow down, not wanting to take a shot on a moving deer, but instead of slowing down, he sped up, galloping a bit before finally stopping around 125 yards out. Not sure if he saw/winded me or not, but he looked in right my direction, 90 degrees from where he was headed. Without a moments hesitation, I squeezed off a round. He took off running but looked a little hunched. When he got to a fence at 200 yards off and coiled up to jump it, I got a little nervous and fired a second shot in an attempt to anchor him before he got into the thick stuff, but knew it was no good the instant I squeezed the trigger. I did hear a pretty good crash, though, right after he got out of sight.

After a little wait, I got down and when for a look. As I approached the fence, I didn't see any obvious blood, so I headed towards where I heard the crash. A quick search and I found him 15-20 yards beyond the fence, probably 75-100 yards from where I had hit him. After poking the deer in the eye, I called the landowner and let him know I had just shot a six point buck. After a quick recap and congratulations, we hung up. I grabbed the rack to drag him over to the fence and found 3 more (albeit small) points! Not a monster by any means, but a new personal best for sure. Load was 21 grains of 2400 under a Lee 170 in 30-06. I hit him a little higher than I would have liked but the boolit took out the top of the shoulder, top of both lungs, and the big vessels that run under the spine. Alloy was around 80/20 AC COWW/SOWW. Thanks to a nice turn in the weather, the buck is now hanging, cooling nicely, and will ready for further processing tomorrow. I'll get some pics uploaded soon.

lrb605
11-20-2016, 12:05 AM
Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

35 shooter
11-20-2016, 12:19 AM
Congrats on your opening day buck. Great way to start a season!

TXGunNut
11-20-2016, 12:25 AM
Good job, sounds like an exciting hunt. Congrats.

captain-03
11-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Congrats!! Nice way to start the season!!

SSGOldfart
11-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Congratulations,which country are you hunting?
Don't forget the pictures

shoot-n-lead
11-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Congrats!

Look forward to seeing the pics.

CastingFool
11-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Congrats on your opening day buck! You can stop a deer by grunting at it. that is how I have gotten my last three bucks, including the one on my avatar. One buck was running after a doe, and I had to grunt three times before he stopped. Just get on it, be ready to shoot and grunt (you don't need a grunt call, just use your voice box) When he stops, shoot him.

Thumbcocker
11-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Congratulations

DougGuy
11-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Congrats on your opening day buck! You can stop a deer by grunting at it.

Yep souunds like deerkey for Thanksgiving this year! They play real nice between collards and cornbread stuffing!

Always whistled a deer to stop it. Very loud, 3 fast cycles of high pitch with low pitch dips in between, not unlike a modern cop car sounds like. I seen 'em put on brakes so hard they skid to a stop.

dverna
11-20-2016, 10:47 AM
You made a good shot so I am surprised it ran about 100 yards after being hit.

Don Verna

Traffer
11-20-2016, 11:08 AM
The last deer I shot was walking away from me in the swamp. I yelled "STOP" as loud as I could. he stopped and looked at me as if to comply, knowing it was going to cost him his life. It did. I dropped him right there.

Yep souunds like deerkey for Thanksgiving this year! They play real nice between collards and cornbread stuffing!

Always whistled a deer to stop it. Very loud, 3 fast cycles of high pitch with low pitch dips in between, not unlike a modern cop car sounds like. I seen 'em put on brakes so hard they skid to a stop.

OnHoPr
11-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Looks like a decent DEER buck. Yea, those are the only kind of deer you can shoot if you don't have one of those doe deer permits. Later it will show that it is a trophy on the dinner plate while the horns are hanging in the garage. The ole Winchester 30-30-06 hybrid seems to have done its job. congrats Looks like you will have a hunting buddy in a couple of years. He can help you drag deer in another 30 years.

35Whelen
11-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Nice work.....your son looks as stoked as you do.

blikseme300
11-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Congrats on your hunt. All is well that ends well.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Just ate my first bites! Yum! Not sure what they are called, but they are usually too small to bother separating out from the ground. Look like little tenderloins up towards the front of the rib cage. I fried them up in bacon grease, doesn't get much better!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-20-2016, 02:21 PM
The last deer I shot was walking away from me in the swamp. I yelled "STOP" as loud as I could. he stopped and looked at me as if to comply, knowing it was going to cost him his life. It did. I dropped him right there.

Yep, I think just about any interesting sound can get a deer to stop and look.

Forgot to mention that I saw 16 turkeys walk right in front of my stand. First time in 5 years.

richhodg66
11-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Nice buck. I want to use my .30-06 during our rifle season and settled on that same charge with the RCBS 180 grain FN. Glad to see it works well.