PDA

View Full Version : Feeler only -- Stevens 200 rifle in 358 Win.

Oldfeller
11-01-2005, 07:34 AM
This is a feeler only.

How many would shell out $300 for a Stevens/Savage custom-run rifle in .358 Winchester caliber?

Just curious .....

Oldfeller

Bman
11-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Not familiar with the Stevens 200. I'm about to do some research but I would love to have a .358 Win for around $300.

Bman
11-01-2005, 08:49 AM
After a quick search I sure would!!

Scrounger
11-01-2005, 09:22 AM
This is a feeler only.

How many would shell out $300 for a Stevens/Savage custom-run rifle in .358 Winchester caliber?

Just curious .....

Oldfeller

I'd jump on that wagon. A 7.62X39 would also get me to send money....

MT Gianni
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
me too. Gianni.

old goat
11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Oldfeller,
............Sounds good to me, IF, the extra cost, shipping , dealer fees, etc., didn't drive the cost too high.

...old goat

David R
11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

rugerman1
11-01-2005, 07:29 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/16.gif

krag35
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I'd be interested.
krag35

35remington
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Me too.

Oldfeller
11-01-2005, 11:22 PM
me too.

StarMetal
11-01-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm awritem down.

Joe

BlueMoon
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I would be interested also

Bill

JohnH
11-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd be interested, What would the details of a deal like this look like?

Oldfeller
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
General Joe Starmetal is Honcho for this one -- Joe?

PatMarlin
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Me ears perked up all on their ownsome.. [smilie=s:

StarMetal
11-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm keeping count, got eleven so far, only 189 to go.

Joe

Jumptrap
11-03-2005, 03:22 AM

Joe

Okay Joe....scrawl my name down in ink.

Maineboy
11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd be interested as well.

PatMarlin
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM

Joe

I'll order 100 Joe to speed up things.. :holysheep

Bodydoc447
11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I'd sure be interested but it would take me a while to save up the $. I figure about $50 to cover the FFL and shipping on top of the $300 for the rifle. That sound about right to y'all?

Doc

HickoryCreek
11-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I am in.

Intuldt
11-04-2005, 11:31 AM
I would like to have one.

longhorn
11-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm in.

waksupi
11-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I have a friend who wants in, who isn't a board member. I may still want one, but am still quivering in shock from my property tax bill at the time.

trooperdan
11-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I'd be in for this... is 200 rifles really the magic number? Distributing them would be a headache, having to go to an FFL in your home state unless we could get Savage to ship them individually... not much chance of that I bet!

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 02:18 PM
17 and counting

Joe

Scrounger
11-05-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd be in for this... is 200 rifles really the magic number? Distributing them would be a headache, having to go to an FFL in your home state unless we could get Savage to ship them individually... not much chance of that I bet!

Zero chance, it's not legal. Best idea is talk Walmart into ordering them. Then anybody could go into their local WalMart and order one, paying only their local sales tax and state fees, if any.

Scrounger
11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's a thought that would really simplify things. We can remove FFLs and their attendant costs from the equation, also removing state related fees and most of the shipping costs. Most of us already have a Savage, others can buy one at WalMart in their chosen caliber. Then we make a group purchase of barrels in .358 from someone. If we bought 25 barrels all threaded and chambered (even blued) we could get a pretty good discount. We could choose how heavy a barrel we wanted, how long, what twist, etc. The barrel maker could ship them individually to us or as a lot to one person. Priority Mail has a free package that would easily hold a 24" barrel, shipping costs should be under $10 each. We could group buy the barrel vise/action wrench/barrel nut equiptment we need ($50?). Some of us may want other caliber barrels and want to buy his own changing equiptment, or 4 or 5 good friends could buy one and just mail it around amongst them. An order of 25 to 50 barrels would interest a lot of barrel makers/gunsmiths. Prices would range from A&B or Wilson to PacNor or Kreiger or Hart. What about Shaw? I would imagine A&B or Wilson could sell us 25 barrels threaded and chambered for less than $100 each. If there is enough interest, I will do some research on that.

krag35
11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Here's a thought that would really simplify things. We can remove FFLs and their attendant costs from the equation, also removing state related fees and most of the shipping costs. Most of us already have a Savage, others can buy one at WalMart in their chosen caliber. Then we make a group purchase of barrels in .358 from someone. If we bought 25 barrels all threaded and chambered (even blued) we could get a pretty good discount. We could choose how heavy a barrel we wanted, how long, what twist, etc. The barrel maker could ship them individually to us or as a lot to one person. Priority Mail has a free package that would easily hold a 24" barrel, shipping costs should be under $10 each. We could group buy the barrel vise/action wrench/barrel nut equiptment we need ($50?). Some of us may want other caliber barrels and want to buy his own changing equiptment, or 4 or 5 good friends could buy one and just mail it around amongst them. An order of 25 to 50 barrels would interest a lot of barrel makers/gunsmiths. Prices would range from A&B or Wilson to PacNor or Kreiger or Hart. What about Shaw? I would imagine A&B or Wilson could sell us 25 barrels threaded and chambered for less than $100 each. If there is enough interest, I will do some research on that.

Scrounger's Idea is a good one. IF we can get the neccesary 200 I'd still be in for one, but a bbl. buy sounds much more likley to me.

krag35

HickoryCreek
11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Scrounger's Idea is a good one. IF we can get the neccesary 200 I'd still be in for one, but a bbl. buy sounds much more likley to me.

krag35
I guess I'm out then :groner:

onceabull
11-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Someone here: May have interest in e-Bay 7193424930, if you can live with 1:12 twist, one bidder only to date, 39 hours to go... fwiw, Onceabull

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Headaches, headaches, headaches. Why can't you fellows leave something simple....nooooooo gotta screw with it until it's complicated.

First off I sincerely doubt you are going to get any barrel maker to make a barrel chambered, blued, and ready to go for $100 apiece even if you do buy 100 of them.

So anyways now you buy a new Stevens rifle, if you don't already have a Savage type short action rifle in the house. They you buy this so called finished barrel, the tools for changing it out, plus the headspacing gauges....you're going to have alot of money tied up in this gun, more then what the rifles would costs if Savage did make them. And that doesn't include working your stock over should you decide to get a differenc contour that fits the stock you have.

I give up...I change my mind, I don't want anything to do with this...I'll give my list to whoever takes over this mess.

Joe

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 07:47 PM
E.R. Shaw, who is probably on of the cheapest charges $135 to rebarrel an action in 4140 chromemoly and blueing it $80 if you are getting a rebarreling job, it's higher if not. They further state that there are no discounts on gunsmithing services. Now how much you think getting barrels over a new rifle is going to save you?

Furthermore I can't believe you fellows that want a 358 Winchester didn't think of having a barrel made up for some rifle or action you already have. Then someone comes along and sugggests the idea and you all think it's a fantastice idea.

Joe

Scrounger
11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, Joe, how much do you think Midway is paying A&B for barrels, given that they sometimes sell them for $89? Also seems I read somewhere that Wilson used to sell barrels to Ruger for $8 apiece... Let's assume that some enterprising and well equipped gunshop can now buy Wilson blanks for, say, $40 (5 times the old price). Is it inconceivable that said gunshop wouldn't be satisfied to make $60 (times 25 or 50 barrels) each for threading and chambering them? With CNC equiptment there would be little time and labor costs. Heck, Savage themselves has the automatic machinery and might be interested in selling a one time run of barrels.
Don't get excited, Joe, this is just a thought and not worth getting worked-up over.

old goat
11-05-2005, 08:06 PM
...Won't work for me. I was planning on about $300 total for rifle, plus FFL and shipping. Add another $100 for a barrel and it's out of my reach as far as I'm concerned.
...But if the group buy doesn't fly, that would be a way to consider getting a rifle in 358. So not a bad idea as a second choice for some.
...$300 from Walmart, total, would be good if it can be done. I like the idea of the rifle ready to go from the start. ie: out of the box.

...old goat

Oldfeller
11-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Joe, you can't quit -- its part of the Rools.

Not that we all don't want to quit at one time or another in a running a group buy, but ******** and moaning should be limited just to PMs sent to good friends (also by the Rools).

Failing that, (or if your friends are the issue as often is the case on group buys) then you are permitted to fall back on B&M'ing to the wife or the dog (the Rools mention that the dog will not immediately tell you "I told you so, you never LISTEN to what I say, you just ......... etc")

You signed up of your own free will, Mr. Honcho, we are all witnesses .....

<g>

Oldfeller

HickoryCreek
11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
All of us don't currently own Savage/stevens rifles. So a new barrell does nothing for me other than give me a barrel :veryconfu

Bass Ackward
11-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Another option is to go to a smaller distributer like Greiss and ask them to honcho the deal. They would have more clout.

Davidsons is probably to big to handle it. But then again, they don't care if something is for cast bullets or not. Simply, can they sell the product. Then they would be available to order from your local FFL. Price should be close to the same. Less headaches from lists and what ever.

I know Greiss went to Remington and got some 35 Whelens made up last year, so why not Savages in 358.

Oldfeller
11-05-2005, 09:03 PM
How about flooding Savage with letters asking them to run them a "Classic" Stevens caliber (aka .358 Winchester) as a commemorative? For some Stevens brand-name recognition and to push the good 'ol Stevens nostalgia button a bit.

Marketing types do strange things all the time (most are not really useful though) -- you just need the right person at Savage to talk to. Plus, they are not stupid, if they see demand for a Stevens 200 in .358 Winchester they may just do the smart thing on their own steam (especially if Wally World starts asking them about it)

<evil g>

Once Savage has a part number assigned to the rifle, I bet we can talk Wal-mart into entering the part number into their computer system.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 09:14 PM
aha...it worked!! I knew if I was radical and threatened to quit it would be immediate response.

Scounger...the business doesn't work that way. Doesn't make a damn difference if the company has CNC machinery and can just push a button and go in the office and play with Monica while the robot cuts the barrels out. Bar -Sto barrel company wouldn't make us Browning Hi-Power barrels in 30 Luger although they are CNC'ed already to chop them out. Ask Deputy Al about that. I'm not mad, it's about greed. I've never seen so much greed as in the gunmarket. Yeah tell me how many Shotgun News you've seen for other products besides the firearms industry? huh, tell me? See a trade magazine that's sold at the local newstand for say washing machines, TV's huh? NO. We don't even have a yes or no from Savage yet, alone a price and folks are scheming already. By the way I don't see your name down on the list for one of the 358's, you in or you out?

Joe

Jumptrap
11-05-2005, 09:58 PM
...Won't work for me. I was planning on about $300 total for rifle, plus FFL and shipping. Add another $100 for a barrel and it's out of my reach as far as I'm concerned.
...But if the group buy doesn't fly, that would be a way to consider getting a rifle in 358. So not a bad idea as a second choice for some.
...$300 from Walmart, total, would be good if it can be done. I like the idea of the rifle ready to go from the start. ie: out of the box.

...old goat

$300 for a new rifle, shipped and through some dealer.......I suppose that means taxes included. Might as well ask for padded mutton lined leather case and a couple boxes of ammo too and hell....might even expect a new scope and rings and a sling with a big painted deer head on it. Probably be able to buy a new Escalade from the same guy for $3500..delivered, of course.

old goat
11-05-2005, 11:05 PM
...Let me rephrase that so the misunderstanding is cleared up. $300 for the rifle, and then add the FFL and shipping cost.
..$300 was what the original price was quoted as being from Walmart.
...If another $100 for a barrel is added, plus additional cost for installing, it gets over what I'm willing to pay.
...Your attempt at sarcasm is neither cute nor necessary.

...old goat

Scrounger
11-05-2005, 11:17 PM
aha...it worked!! I knew if I was radical and threatened to quit it would be immediate response.

Scounger...the business doesn't work that way. Doesn't make a damn difference if the company has CNC machinery and can just push a button and go in the office and play with Monica while the robot cuts the barrels out. Bar -Sto barrel company wouldn't make us Browning Hi-Power barrels in 30 Luger although they are CNC'ed already to chop them out. Ask Deputy Al about that. I'm not mad, it's about greed. I've never seen so much greed as in the gunmarket. Yeah tell me how many Shotgun News you've seen for other products besides the firearms industry? huh, tell me? See a trade magazine that's sold at the local newstand for say washing machines, TV's huh? NO. We don't even have a yes or no from Savage yet, alone a price and folks are scheming already. By the way I don't see your name down on the list for one of the 358's, you in or you out?

Joe

Check Post #4 on this thread. My first choice would be the WalMart route. And I think they'd be under $300...

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Jump,

How was $300 quoted for Walmart? I haven't even talked to the guy at Savage and already someone has a $300 tag for Walmart. Amazing what a mess this already and it's not even off the ground yet.

Joe

old goat
11-05-2005, 11:22 PM
StarMetal......Please read thread #1 again.

...old goat

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Old Goat

Gotcha...well, that's just a guesstimation. Savage may want more being a special run then the normal retail Walmart outlet price.

Joe

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Art,

Glad you pointed that out, I didn't have you down, you are now.

Joe

old goat
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
StarMetal.......I'm afraid you're right. And I understand this is just theory. And a lot of wishful thinking. At present, more wishful thinking than anything else.

...old goat

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Old Goat,

If you look at the calibers for the short action Stevens (223, 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, and 308) they don't need that 22-250 in there. In a 22 inch barrel the 22-250 isn't that much better then the 223. Anyways it looks like they tried to cover varmint, varmints & deer, and deer with the calibers. Well they would have been more rounded out with eliminating the 22-250 and adding the 358 Win. No I don't dislike the 22-250, it's a great round, but you don't need two varmint rounds in the category. three if you count the 243. Just my opinion. The 358 is a great round that shouldn't have died.

Joe

Oldfeller
11-06-2005, 01:22 AM
hee hee .....

He's starting to act like a Honcho now .....

(up to his navel in snake-gators and just dealing with it)

<g>

Oldfeller

old goat
12-01-2005, 12:37 AM
...Gentlemen,
...How about an update on this?......Has it slipped through the cracks?...The last I heard was on another thread, 11-1-05, and said the Savage contact was supposed to be made in 2-3 weeks.....It's been a month now.

...Oldfeller,
...This was another of your ideas, have you let it die?....Too good of an idea to just forget about......I know you are tied up with the 7mm soup can, but please don't forget about this group buy.....Got any JATO's left for this ?

...old goat

StarMetal
12-01-2005, 12:50 AM
I was the honcho for that. First I don't think we have enough buyers to sway Savage so I have called the guy. Someone else stated it was a dead dog so I kind of gave up on it too.

Joe

old goat
12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
...Thanks for the update.

...old goat