PDA

View Full Version : Hold STILL, dang it !

Bookworm
11-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I've been watching a buck for a couple months. Nice 6-point, probably 3 years old. This morning opened 'rifle' season here, so I'm out there well before first light, in the 27 degree chill. I'm backed up to a large elm, facing west, so the early morning sun (and glare) will be behind me. The buck has been coming out of a thicket to my south (left), passing at the edge of an open area, and heading north to a gap in another thick spot.

I'm out there with my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter, 2x scope. First time handgun hunting.

Shortly after 7a.m., sure enough here comes that buck. It walks left to right, maybe 25 yds away. It doesn't notice me bringing up the Ruger.

I line up the shot, cock the hammer - clickclick.

On the first click, the buck alerts, looks right at me. Second click - it bolts.

It's gone.

Yeesh.......so frustrating. 2 months of scouting, busted in a half-second.

Texas by God
11-19-2016, 01:50 PM
No comfort but when hunting with my Blackhawk I'll cock it and hold my thumb between the frame & hammer. Or hold the trigger back for a silent cock and release trigger once the hammer is back. I've used both methods but prefer the first. Good luck! Best, Thomas.

Djones
11-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Yep. My bisley is loud to cock. Been practicing different methods to get the hammer back.

Sorry to hear you got busted. Hopefully he didn't spook into the next county and you can get back on him.

Bookworm
11-19-2016, 06:49 PM
I went and tried holding back the trigger whilst cocking, to see about that silent cocking. Didn't work that way on mine. Still a clickclick. I think I'll go with the thumb betwixt the frame and hammer. Thanks for the tip.
I wasn't prepared for the double click spooking game. I should have thought of it, but I'm used to rifle hunting - a round in the chamber, and just flick off the safety.

fastdadio
11-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Cock the Bisley and stuff a disposable foam ear plug into the frame channel between the frame and hammer. Easy to just flick it out when your ready to shoot but will cushion the hammer drop if some thing were to go wrong. Been using this trick on my front stuffer for years.

44man
11-20-2016, 09:46 AM
I held the cylinder as it turned so the cylinder stop was deadened as it snapped up. That is the first click. The deer was very close and did not hear it. Cocked slow the trigger made no noise at the hammer. Keep a good lube on the sear part to keep that noise down.

OnHoPr
11-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Sorry for the silent personal snicker, yea I have had them look right at me when they have been a hundred yards away just taking off the safety. They got ears sometimes don't they. You can also practice squeezing the trigger, pulling back the hammer, then releasing the trigger at full cock, then take your thumb off the hammer nice and easy to make sure it is caught, then take the shot. I guess you tried that. That's one thing about most hammers, safeties, springs, and steel is that they tend to make clicking noises. Hope you get another chance.