PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot!

selmerfan
06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I was down to my in-law's local mechanic shop getting some advice on my Pontiac Bonneville when I asked him what he did with wheelweights. He said that there's a guy that comes and pays him $20/5 gal bucket. He asked if I was interested in buying them and I said, "Certainly, I use them for casting boolits." He said that's what this guy does too, but the last couple of times that he has collected he apparently has been a jerk to him. The mechanic said that he would call my father-in-law whenever he had half a bucket or so and I could collect them there. I asked him how much, and he said, "20 bucks won't make a difference to me here or there, and I'd rather that a nice guy like you got them instead of the a__ole that was picking them up. I can't wait to tell him that I don't have any for him anymore! You can have them for nothing. I collect 3-4 buckets per year, so it's not that many." So I guess it's to my benefit, just remember, be nice to the guys that you get wheelweights from. This mechanic will be getting some deer sticks and cured, smoked venison roast in the near future...
Selmerfan

docone31
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I fix the jewelery the mechanics, and their wives break. When I go in for a simple repair, they let me take a few buckets back with me.
I always figuired, you catch more flies with sugar.
Basically, they have issues with disposing of the wheel weights. It comes out of pocket. I make them laugh, treat them with respect, and thank them when they do their work. I fix their stuff cause I like them.
They also remember me when they like jewelery that is unusual, handmade, or other jewelers turn down.
Won't last forever, and I won't live long enough to make getting more worthwhile. They gave me a lot and it is just myself and my wife targeting.
I did get to make a lead block for planishing with the extra.
I build my engines, rebuild transmissions, etc. I do not really need them to do the work. I just get lazy and they also do a great job. It helps they like my big block.