PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem strikes again

aarolar
11-19-2016, 10:55 AM
I'm really feeling this 35 Rem thing should have gone with one long ago. I wish I had held back on the second smaller one kinda feel bad about it but such is life.<br />
<br />
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/7ff4bd3949c5475393fa71918cc36b90.jpg<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jhalcott
11-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Smaller one should be tender eating. I have taken many of these with a.35rem Contender.

Tradhunter
11-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Nice work! Don't feel bad, small ones are harder to hit��

TXGunNut
11-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Good job. I think a lot of yearlings are lost in their first winter so harvesting one now and then isn't a bad thing. Should be excellent eating!

Texas by God
11-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Way to go! Is super ready? Best, Thomas.

aarolar
11-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Actually it is spaghetti and meatballs courtesy of that nice buck I shot a few weeks ago!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-20-2016, 10:09 AM
If you haven't already cut it up, take a whole ham off that yearling, rub it down with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Put it on a charcoal grill offset from the fire until medium rare. Slice thin against the grain. After eating it, you'll be picking the yearling out of the crowd as your next target!

OnHoPr
11-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Vittles. I can't remember ever shooting one before I was 50, one I think got in the sun, but have shot a few in the last 8 years, mostly on last days and one with the sun in the scope. Eyes are getting worse. Don't like deer or pork liver. Like beef and chicken livers and calf liver seem kinda bland. So, a few years ago I shot a fair size nubbin that I thought was a small doe and thought I never tried yearling liver. I gave it a try and it was good. To me, if they are age well there is no difference between a young one or a 4 yr old buck. The buck just has more vittles on him. The only difference I can tell is if they are hay fed, corn fed, or woods fed, except back in my NF PL days in the area I hunted there were so many feed piles on PL starting in September that by the time a you actually shot one in November they started having a milder taste to the woods deer. Pumpkins, apples, Mangos, Sugar Beets, Carrots, corn, pears and alls kinds of stuff from the 50 # bags to pickup loads and some place semi loads can change how the deer taste after two months of gorging their selves on that type of feed.

TCLouis
11-20-2016, 11:42 PM
I have found that all of them are made of steaks, chops, roasts, jerky and burger, just more or less of each.

Prodigal Son
11-21-2016, 11:11 AM
Love the 35 Remington & the 358 Win too! Good shooting there pard'!

shredder
11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
My 35 Rem has struck again too!

I chased big antlers for so many years I have kinda forgotten how nice it can be to just hunt. Last night I had a very nice hunt in a new to me remote location and the hunting gods sent me a tender fork horn whitetail at 20 yards. I did not want to be rude so I shot him. I have never seen blood spray out the entrance wound side of a deer like that before. He only made a couple of steps and fell over. The top of the heart was gone and the lungs were severely tattered. That makes 1 mule deer and 1 whitetail for my new rifle this year. My tags are all gone now so back to the safe.

I must say the ol' 35 does some severe damage to heart/lungs with the 200 grain core lokd ammo. Not much shot up meat at all, but those deer were not going far!! I just love my Marlin lever rifle. A real deer thumper.

Plate plinker
11-22-2016, 08:06 PM
meat is meat especially if you are over run with deer down there.