PDA

View Full Version : Fun day yesterday.

44man
11-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Neighbors came to shoot. My new Neighbor is an air marshal and carries a .357 Sig. I set little bottles of water at 100 and handed him my BFR in .500 JRH. He was afraid but I told him what to do. He blew the bottles right off. I seen he punched a little and hit a tad low. Got that taken care of and handed him my SBH with my 330 gr boolits. He loved that one and blew bottles at 50. Sandbags of course.
He shot the Sig at 25 with a man size target, hits 2' low. Told him it needs adjustable sight or lower front. I shot low with it. But he has to have the armorer do the work.
I got to shoot a Marlin .444 and it is not bad at all. The old fellow put a new peep on the base but still had the tang sight on. Mounted too far back and gave me a cut. Told him to remove it. I don't know who put the tang sight on for him but it is all the way to the back where your thump should be. He does not load so $2 a shot is a shock.
Other neighbor was right on at 100 with his Rem 740, 30-06.
Season opens Mon. The old fellow with the .444 does not hunt, just loves to shoot.
I got 2 bottles or wine! One has been stored 17 years. Eat your hearts out guys! :drinks:

waco
11-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Neighbors came to shoot. My new Neighbor is an air marshal and carries a .357 Sig. I set little bottles of water at 100 and handed him my BFR in .500 JRH. He was afraid but I told him what to do. He blew the bottles right off. I seen he punched a little and hit a tad low. Got that taken care of and handed him my SBH with my 330 gr boolits. He loved that one and blew bottles at 50. Sandbags of course.
He shot the Sig at 25 with a man size target, hits 2' low. Told him it needs adjustable sight or lower front. I shot low with it. But he has to have the armorer do the work.
I got to shoot a Marlin .444 and it is not bad at all. The old fellow put a new peep on the base but still had the tang sight on. Mounted too far back and gave me a cut. Told him to remove it. I don't know who put the tang sight on for him but it is all the way to the back where your thump should be. He does not load so $2 a shot is a shock.
Other neighbor was right on at 100 with his Rem 740, 30-06.
Season opens Mon. The old fellow with the .444 does not hunt, just loves to shoot.
I got 2 bottles or wine! One has been stored 17 years. Eat your hearts out guys! :drinks:

I hope you get to enjoy the wine with some back strap!

44man
11-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Nothing better then to have friends to shoot with. Mailman is coming tomorrow with his daughter.
First bottle of wine is gone! I could not wait for meat. :Fire:

44man
11-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Carol is making deer chili right now. Chunk meat instead of ground. I really get tired of ground meat.
Like eating Chinese every day. How can you grind a whole deer?

Tom W.
11-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Pay the processor?

Blackwater
11-25-2016, 10:37 AM
44man, I know some here don't believe your stories because they've never seen anyone who can really shoot, but I hope they'll learn.  It's all in the "little things" that most aren't even aware of, much less pay attention to.  

But it's always been that way, I believe.  Some, who are simply interested in shooting well, learn by observation, analysis and modification of their techniques and habits, DO become really excellent shots.  I've never been at your level of shooting.  Never had the time, honestly.  But I got pretty darned good.  Always wanted to be better, but my eyesight was a big  problem there.  You can't shoot any better than you can see the sights.  

A buddy of mine has eyes like an eagle, and he always shaded me a bit. &nbsp;I could and sometimes would shoot a little faster than he did, but when he shot, it was almost always final. &nbsp;<br><br>

Yes, you're right, it IS good to have other good shots to shoot with, or students who want to get better enough to not argue with you when you tell them what they need to do. &nbsp;Without some malleability, nobody gets to become a really good shot, EVER! &nbsp; And it's that attitude that determines most of what they're to be able to achieve. &nbsp;<br><br>

It's always been rather boring and less than satisfying to shoot with guys who don't really take it seriously, and really don't even give it their best try. &nbsp;Good shooting friends are a real "pearl of great price."<br><br>

Hope you enjoyed that wine! &nbsp;That's really good stuff, too!

44man
11-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks my friend.