PDA

View Full Version : Sig P238 or Colt Mustang Pocketlite

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I think this spring I'm going to get out of my Ruger LCP for a pocket auto and get something a wee bit larger. The problems with the LCP are twofold. First, it flings brass all over creation. Yes, I know most people regard it as a carry alot/shoot a little sort of gun but there is no such thing to me. I shoot my carry guns alot, and unlike 9mm there is no endless buffet of free range brass for the .380. Second, I have big hands and the LCP is just too darn small. I can shoot it well if I really concentrate on grip and trigger pull but in a defensive situation that is a luxury I won't have or even be thinking about. By contrast I can shoot my Glock 42 and S&W 637 fairly well right out of the holster, focusing only on the front sight. These are on the large side for pocket carry, the 42 because of the length of the slide and the 637 because of the cylinder width.

I examined a used Colt Mustang XSP yesterday and was impressed with it sizewise. It has a nice solid feel in the hand and seems to strike the right balance for me. That one was overpriced, and I don't want the ambidextrous safety so I am considering the standard Sig P238 or Mustang Pocketlite (new version, not the older one). Is one of these superior to the other in any way? The Mustang weighs slightly less and has more rounded edges, also the Colt mags are alot cheaper for some reason. The Sig costs less and is a Sig, also I think it will take any other Sig pistol sights. I'm leaning towards the P238 because I trust Sig more than Colt and it costs less. Anybody here owned both pistols? Do they have any parts interchangeability? I've read conflicting accounts about whether the mags are interchangeable or not.

Petrol & Powder
11-18-2016, 09:57 AM
In today's world of very small pistols chambered in 9mm Luger, many with DA triggers - the .380 auto cartridge has little appeal to me.

Back when the .380 represented about the maximum power one could obtain out of a true pocket pistol there was a solid reason to go with the .380. Most of those pistols were simple blowback designs like the SIG P230 or Walther PPK and they were outstanding little guns.
We now have locked breach designs chambered in 9mm Luger that just were not available 20 years ago.
The guns mentioned in the first post are both locked breach designs and good guns but I would urge the OP to at least consider a 9mm in that same class and also think about some type of DA or DAO action for a self-defense pistol.

Given the criteria of the first post, I would have to go with the SIG over the Colt but I would really like a third choice like a Kahr MK9 or one of the other small DA 9mm pistols.

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Friend, I hear you but I cannot shoot the pocket 9's well enough to be confident with them, at least not without downloading them to hot .380/standard .38 Special power level. Which means, I may as well carry a .380. I have owned a few Kahrs. Very nice pistols but the size and shape of the trigger and the way it breaks makes them difficult to shoot for me. Sounds like nitpicking but is true with every one of them. In my carry guns, I demand reliability, accuracy, and quick follow up shots. I am well aware of my limitations and know I am not going to get all three in a pocket size 9mm.

jimb16
11-18-2016, 11:11 AM
I shoot an older Colt Government .380 and I love it. it has the heavier steel frame but is still light enough for full time carry. it is about the same size as the Mustang but a little longer. highly dependable and extremely accurate.

Lefty Red
11-18-2016, 11:13 AM
I had all three, the Pocklite, XSP, and 238. I now have two Taurus TCP 738. Theses two were cheaper, including extra mags, than any of the others.

Only the XSP didn't go back to the factory. But it shoot terrible. The Pocklite had parts coming out of it! Twice! The Sig had an issue coming apart, a quaility control issue that was fixed by Sig quickly! That would be the only one of the three you mentioned to get. I will stick to the cheap and easy to use TCPs, 100% with hardball, Powerball, and Critical Defense.

I have a holster to fit any of them!!! LOL

Lefty

Dan Cash
If you shoot the gun a great deal, I would recommend the SIG. The Colt is a good gun but I have personal concern about Colt support for repairs and parts. I have not shot the SIG or the new Mustang but have a pair of 30 year old Colt Government .380s which are wonderful and nearly bullet proof. They are a little larger than the Mustang and you might look for one on the used market. I find them fullly acceptable for pocket carry and have done so with one in my front shirt pocket.

Lefty Red
I shoot an older Colt Government .380 and I love it. it has the heavier steel frame but is still light enough for full time carry. it is about the same size as the Mustang but a little longer. highly dependable and extremely accurate.

That would be my pick!!!!!!

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 11:42 AM
How long ago did you have your P238? I have read that the early runs had alot of problems which have since been straightened out.

Colt has been on life support for years, mostly due to their own dumb, shortsighted choices. They would have been dead and buried a long time ago if not for their BFFs at DOD and investors who, for unimaginable reasons, think that giving them money is a good idea. I am not counting on Colt to outlive me and the very real possibility that factory support for the Mustang will vanish someday is a concern.

standles
11-18-2016, 11:44 AM
I know it was not on your list but I recently downsized and went with a SIG P938. I got a small concealable 9mm with 45 auto SA controls that I can consistently hit 50yd targets offhand.

NoZombies
11-18-2016, 11:51 AM
I haven't owned one of the new pocket-lite Colts, but I've shot a few. I also owned one of the old models a while back. I currently own and carry the Sig.

I've fired several thousand rounds through the Sig with zero problems, zero malfunctions, and zero complaints. The older pocket-lite that I had wouldn't go 50 rounds without having a malfunction of some type. I understand that the new Colts are slightly different, and the ones I shot didn't have the same problem as my older model, but I've been so happy with the Sig that I honestly haven't considered changing it out for anything (except possibly the 938, but that's a different story).

Outpost75
11-18-2016, 12:24 PM
I found that the Hogue grip sleeve on the LCP is a great improvement in being able to shoot the gun well, but it is the "church gun" for deep cover, discreet carry, not the first choice. So, I understand completely wanting something "bigger".

That's why I have TWO SIG-Sauer P230s and TWO Beretta M1934s.

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I have a grip sleeve on my LCP and it helps, but really doesn't address the fact that the gun is just too small for me to shoot well and loses brass. I may keep the LCP for a deep cover situation or times when I don't want to carry a more expensive gun.

Like the mini Kahrs, the 938 is just too small of a 9mm for my taste. It is about the same size as the Glock 42 and weighs a bit more so I wouldn't be gaining anything. I know the Mustang and 238 are really not that much smaller but the XSP I examined yesterday sure feels like it is. Besides, I really like the .380 cartridge and need another gun to shoot it!

Lefty Red
11-18-2016, 02:56 PM
How long ago did you have your P238? I have read that the early runs had alot of problems which have since been straightened out.

Colt has been on life support for years, mostly due to their own dumb, shortsighted choices. They would have been dead and buried a long time ago if not for their BFFs at DOD and investors who, for unimaginable reasons, think that giving them money is a good idea. I am not counting on Colt to outlive me and the very real possibility that factory support for the Mustang will vanish someday is a concern.

end of last year, my last "quality" 380 is bought. Don't get me wrong, it ran great after the initial fix. And I would carry it and feel confident, but just couldn't get over the price and was offered good money for it. Bought one TCP for $100, with three mags. Went to Taurus that day, came back and runs like a Singer. Just picked up the second one. Never had a miscue with it. Are they weapons I'm going to put thousands of rounds through? Nope. They might see 150-200 between the two this year. They hit POA and function, and one of the two with me at all times.

I also gave up SA pistols for pocket carry after the safety being knocked off a few times. And it's hard for me to take the safety off with just two finger grip. Some don't have that problem.

Lefty Red
11-18-2016, 02:58 PM
You consider the Ruger LC380?

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 03:43 PM
LC380 is actually a bit larger than the 42 and is DAO with a redundant manual safety. The consensus is that Ruger is going to keep it around only as long as it remains on the happy list in California, then drop it as they did with the original LC9.

Lefty Red
11-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I like it, along with the original LC9. Heavy trigger can be learned and less likely to get "Glock Leg Syndrome". :)

country gent
11-18-2016, 04:19 PM
I have the SIg 238 also ad like the sights on it better than any other pocket auto I have. They are fixed but of a size and shape that can be seen easily, mine are the sig tritium insert sights and they just plain work. My SIg shoots better tthan any pocket auto should, I routinely shoot it out past 25 yds. Took a woodchuck with it at the farm at close to 40 yds because it was handy. The remington 102 grn load did a good job on it. Look your choices over handle them and if possinle rent them and shoot them a little, see what works for you.

camp
11-18-2016, 04:42 PM
You might also look at the sig 938, almost the same size as the 238 only 9mm, i carry one on a daily basis

Lefty Red
11-18-2016, 04:50 PM
You might also look at the sig 938, almost the same size as the 238 only 9mm, i carry one on a daily basis

+1!
and it's the easiest shooting tiny pistol. Surprisingly easy shooting.

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Currently watching Hickok45's video on the P238 and am starting to get sold on it. He is a big dude like me and that pistol just disappears on him. The brass doesn't go far and the muzzle doesn't jump much when firing. Still have a lever action to bail out of layaway jail before I can swing it though.

B. Lumpkin
11-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I own two Colt Mustang Pocketlites. I bought a pair with sequential serial numbers just to be cool. They have both been 100% with over 1,000 rounds between each one. At 25 yards, from a bag, 4 inches for 10 shot groups is normal and repeatable use 95 gr FMJ ammo. Triggers are decent for what they are. My only complaint is the front sight. I know, it's a "Get off me!" gun, but I plan to send them to Novaks for front sight installs.

Petrol & Powder
11-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Back when the 380 was the only thing going in a small semi-auto pistol above 32 caliber I owned a carried a bunch of them. Some were SA and some were DA/SA types.
Like Lefty Red, I too became leery of SA pocket pistols. Not just because of the possibility of the safety being knocked off but due to the difficultly of operating the tiny safety on a small gun while under stress. I've carried and practiced with larger SA style pistols such as the 1911 and I'm comfortable with them but with the little hide-a-way pistols I prefer a DA trigger.
I'm also completely with Outpost on his preference for the SIG P230 (one of the best .380 autos I've ever owned) and his affinity for the Beretta model 1934. The Beretta may be SA, an old design and a tad large/heavy to be considered a true pocket pistol but, - It was a great design ! The Beretta 1934 may not be new but it is incredibly reliable and durable. It continues to be a milestone that other designs are measured against. The only drawback to that old Beretta is the safety, which is difficult to operate.

One of the .380's that I carried for a while was an original Remington model 51. That 1930's era pistol was amazingly slim and a solid piece of industrial art. Unfortunately, mine would only function reliably with FMJ bullets. I would keep a hollow point in the chamber but had to load the magazine with ball ammo. At that point in my life I had little spare time and even less money, so the Remington was traded in on a SIG P230.

As for the little Colts, I cannot comment on the current pistols but I did own several of the early Colt Mustangs, including a couple of plus 2's. They were decent pistols for the mid 1980's but never great pistols and I don't regret selling them. At that time they were affordable and one of the smallest 380's on the market. (The AMT 380 beat the Colt in price but probably not quality when it hit the market).

Obviously this is a gun forum and I think most "gun people" go down the path of selecting a small, concealable handgun for everyday carry and we spend a lot of time on this path. There's nothing wrong with this journey.
I eventually landed on the snubnose 38 Special revolver but that means nothing for other people. It's just where I landed.

I will say that lots of range time with your primary CCW is good in terms of familiarity but it can also have a downside. If you start to think that high capacity, all day shooting comfort and tiny groups at long ranges are key to a good deep cover gun; you may be off track a bit.
Ease of deployment, absolute reliability and fast accuracy may be the qualities that you are overlooking.

Moonie
11-19-2016, 12:16 AM
My wife has a 938 and no concealed carry permit, yet. I carry the 938 quite a bit as it is very easy to conceal.

Any Cal.
11-19-2016, 05:44 AM
SW Shield is a little bigger, but shoots like a mid size. Striker fired with or without a tiny little safety. Real sights. Light weight. Two finger or three finger mags. Not pocket carry, but smaller than the 230/232 as I recall.

smkummer
11-19-2016, 10:36 AM
I have the mustang XSP and it's fine. It's even better with the finger extended mag. I have less than $400 in it as Colt was sending out a $75 rebate and some dealer had these for I believe 425 last year. I feel better carrying it with the hammer down as if the safety got bumped ( I don't use a holster) it would just be a single action trigger bump to go off. It functions perfect and I shoot it accurate. Cabalas has the new Ruger LCP for 199. That hard to beat for what it's used for. I know a female that carries one and shoots it fine. It doesn't shoot as good as her LC9 but it's small size means it gets carried.

OptimusPanda
11-19-2016, 11:02 AM
I used to own a 238. It was one of the early production models and it gave me nothing but trouble. It would regularly fail to fire, fail to extract, fail to eject, and fail to feed....in the same 6 round magazine. Now in all fairness to that particular pistol, it never did that with really hot ammo. It would shoot corbon HP just fine but everything else would give it trouble. Slowly I've warmed up to the idea of trying another one. It *shouldn't* be a bad gun, most seem to like it these days.

canthit
11-19-2016, 12:02 PM
I own and carry the Sig P-238 and carry it more than any carry firearm I have due to its size and the confidence I have in it. Todays ammo in 380 is so much better than a couple years ago. The sights on the 238 makes it easy to shoot. I have shot the 938 and liked it.

Texas by God
11-20-2016, 06:13 PM
I had a p238 and the front sight would drift in its dovetail while shooting in addition to collecting debris under the ill fitted long blade. My buddy has two Colt .380s and the hidden portion of the barrel chamber looks like termites ate it(casting flaws) My daughter had an LCP and despite it being "angry" to shoot it shot well and ran 100%- at much less cost than the Sig/Colts. Brass flung far is a good thing in a defense pistol. I'm firmly in the thumb safety Shield camp. Butt forward Mexican carry under a shirttail and it disappears. I'm 6'2"/200# and this works for me. Best, Thomas.

FergusonTO35
11-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Well, a new wrinkle. Went to the fun store today to pay on my layaway and they had a Kimber Micro .380 under the glass. I examined it and the pistol felt really nice. It was just a bit larger than the Kahr CW380 next to it. The price was only $449.00, cheaper than Sig or Colt. Yeah, never thought I'd see the day that Kimber was the best value among similar guns! Anybody have experience with these? Do they use a unique dovetail for the sights? The three dots it comes with seem fine but it's nice to have options. My understanding is that mags and many other parts are interchangeable across these three pistols.

Lefty Red
11-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Nope, I just picked up a Sig 938 and Kahr PM9! I will be eating PBJ until Spring, but damn if they weren't giving them away. :) prices have dropped since the election.

Co worker bought the Mirco, picked it up Monday. Will let you know how he likes it. He has pretty high tastes, but I still don't see how the Micro or Mustang or 238 does anything better than my TCP.

Lefty

Petrol & Powder
11-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Kimber Micro 380 = Still a SA auto, still a .380.

Greg S
11-23-2016, 07:57 AM
No experiance with the Sig 238. Own 2 Colts, a Mustang and a Pocket-lite. Both no problems. Repair parts are available, mostly aftermarket.

FergusonTO35
11-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Nope, I just picked up a Sig 938 and Kahr PM9! I will be eating PBJ until Spring, but damn if they weren't giving them away. :) prices have dropped since the election.

Co worker bought the Mirco, picked it up Monday. Will let you know how he likes it. He has pretty high tastes, but I still don't see how the Micro or Mustang or 238 does anything better than my TCP.

Lefty

Went to the fun store and they had a full stock of AR's, hi-cap mags, and ammo. Glad that the post-election locust swarm never materialized. Yes, please tell me how what your friend's experiences with the Micro are.

catmandu
12-03-2016, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE

Lefty[/QUOTE]

Soo.. does he like the Micro? Do you like your 938?

Lefty Red
12-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Oops! Sorry, the holidays are pretty busy with vacations and short staffing.

I got with him this week during feeds and he is ok with it. Not 100% reliable but he only has 200 rounds through it. And I have to say most guns now a days need more break in time. He is small guy, and in his hands the Micro seems to fit well. I just can't get over trying to take the thing off of safe and firing with my medium hands. Everything seems jammed up.

Lefty Red
12-03-2016, 03:49 PM
I love my 938! It's just about right, with a rubber grip sleeve, how it fits in my hand and allows me to operate the safety and mag release. Getting a second one as backup to this one is my next purchase. Maybe the Rosewood version.

The 938 eats up my crappy reloads and everything that I put in it's expensive magazine. Breaks down easy and is smooth. The grips are too rough for me, so I put in a Pachmeyer Tacial Grip Sleeve to add just a tad on the width and cover up the aggressive checkering. I didn't like the Hogue aftermarket wrap around grips, because it would add too much and snag my shirt. But wish they made just replacement panels.

The extended 7rd mag is great. I can shot it with the flush 6rd mag, but the 7rd barely adds any length just enough to get a partial pinky on it. Balanced nicely.

Comes with Sig night sights, which are very nice.

I think its worth the cost. And I don't say that allot.

FergusonTO35
12-05-2016, 09:48 AM
So far I think Sig is in the lead. I wish they would make one without expensive night sights though.

The Governor
12-05-2016, 10:08 AM
]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/burley_bucket/papa.jpg

His and hers Sig Nightmares. I like the 380 for what it is but carry my LCP when I want a pocket piece.

charlie b
12-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Are you going with .380 because of other reasons (stockpile of ammo or reloading stuff)?

A gunsmith friend of mine has carried a Mustang for many years and likes it.

I know you are asking about specific guns but.....

I picked up a Radom P-64 and carried it for years (cause it was really cheap :) ). I did put in a lighter Wolff spring so the DA trigger pull was manageable.

The darn thing was nearly indestructible. Given the poor sights I was shocked at how well it shot and I never had a malfunction, despite firing the cheapest ammo I could for practice. I did wear gloves when shooting for practice. Made the recoil bearable :)

If you don't want a 9Mak then what about the CZ in .380? I've considered getting a CZ-82/83 for sometime now.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm going with .380 because I really like this cartridge and shoot it well. I can't shoot anything bigger in a gun of this size. This pistol will mostly be pocket carried and the mini-1911 offers the right balance of small size and shootability for this application.

charlie b
12-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Understand. I went with the mak cause ammo and guns are inexpensive. Recoil is mild enough for the gun size.

I'd go with the .380 too if I wanted to buy a higher quality gun.

Soundguy
12-07-2016, 07:03 PM
I have a SIG p230, p238, and a keltec p3AT.

All .380.

The 230 is a fine full sized medium frsm auto.. But I live the full featured 238.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2016, 08:11 PM
one more Vote for the P938 182242

snoopy
12-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Bought a p238 for the wife awhile back, and while I can't comment on the others, the sig is awesome. Not having any problems with it whatsoever, wish I would have bought it for myself!

FergusonTO35
12-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Thats what I am leanimg towards. Sig is just hard to beat all the way around.

Soundguy
12-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Mine is the zombie edition, I love the aluminum grips

Moonie
12-12-2016, 04:15 PM
My wife liked the purple 938 lol, whatever makes her happy.

Lefty Red
12-12-2016, 10:23 PM
one more Vote for the P938 182242

Is that an Alabama Pocket Holster?
And are those aftermarket grips? My Extreme has the greenish scaled grips and it's tearing up my hands. Got a Pachmayr Slip on Tac Glove and it works. Just doesn't look as nice

Lefty

LUCKYDAWG13
12-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Is that an Alabama Pocket Holster?
And are those aftermarket grips? My Extreme has the greenish scaled grips and it's tearing up my hands. Got a Pachmayr Slip on Tac Glove and it works. Just doesn't look as nice

Lefty

7 uh in

Yes Alabama pocket holster and VZ grips

LUCKYDAWG13
12-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes VZ grips on P938 and on Ruger 1911

Lefty Red
12-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes VZ grips on P938 and on Ruger 1911
Beautiful grips and pistols.

FergusonTO35
12-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Well, Kimber it is. Went to the fun store today planning to ask about the stainless Kimber Micro and they had one under the glass for $500.00 so I layawayed it. The owner said the Micro series has gotten very popular and he sold another one just before I arrived. I still find it amusing that Kimber was the least expensive choice here. Sig would be my preference but it doesn't come without night sights and so costs a lot more. With Colt of course you pay extra for those pretty pony medallions and the front sight is integral to the slide, meaning that it requires mill work if you want to replace it.

I'm surprised at how small these .380 1911's are. The Micro is about the same size as the Ruger LCP II in th case next to it. The Micro grip is slightly longer, the LCP II slide is slightly longer, both are about the same thickness. The Micro slid down into my pocket almost as easily as the standard LCP does, certainly easier than my Glock 42 or S&W 637 do. Looking forward to bailing it out!

Eddie Southgate
12-19-2016, 11:27 PM
I'd get the Sig P938 . It's not that much larger or heavier nut shoots some harder .

Eddie

FergusonTO35
12-20-2016, 12:18 AM
I have laid out my reasons why I want a .380 in previous posts. If I wanted a small 9mm I would have bought the used Glock 43 in the same shop for $375.00. Yes, I was more than tempted but I already have a 26 which I like very much and the Micro .380 fills a hole in my arsenal right now.

Lefty Red
12-20-2016, 04:50 AM
I have laid out my reasons why I want a .380 in previous posts. If I wanted a small 9mm I would have bought the used Glock 43 in the same shop for $375.00. Yes, I was more than tempted but I already have a 26 which I like very much and the Micro .380 fills a hole in my arsenal right now.

The 238/Micro/Mustang is smaller than the Sig P938. Not much smaller, but when you throw it in your pocket you noticed it. The Mustang I use to own fit into a Desantis Superfly holster and disappear in my pocket. The P938 need a different holster and it's much hard to conceal in certain pants for me.

if you get the chance, try out the Streamlight TLR-6. It doesn't blind, but it actually works on these subcompacts and pocket sized pistols. I run mine with just the light and it does it's job!

Still think the Sig is the best of the bunch for SA 380 pistols. Colt's QC was iffy the past couple of years and Kimber's QC is non existent. But hope you got a good one.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
12-20-2016, 07:46 AM
I guess we will be finding out. My brother in law has two Kimbers and loves them. The shop owner says he gets very few complaints about them. He is a stand up guy and if I have a problem he will make it right, even if the factory won't.

GONRA
12-28-2016, 07:06 PM
GONR notes ya'll are really into this stuff.
Suggest a Olde (not sure about "these days" manufacture) Para Ordnance .45 ACP Warthog.
Its small, BUT gotta admit "WIDE".
Slops around in my jeans pocket Just Fine for shootin' up stuff
with explosive bullets whilst roaming the woods....

FergusonTO35
12-29-2016, 10:19 AM
No mini .45's for me. I can't shoot them well at all, and no matter how much you downsize the gun it is still going to be bigger because of the larger cartridge.

w5pv
12-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Luv my P238 nuff said.

FergusonTO35
01-12-2017, 09:53 AM
I bailed out the Micro yesterday. Also picked up a couple of extra mags for it, glad to see they are reasonably priced at $21.95 each at the fun store. Hopefully I can test drive it soon, all my reloading stuff is still in moving boxes.

FergusonTO35
01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
The sun came out today and I was able to take a break from unpacking to test drive the little Kimber. Distance was 18 feet, ammo was some cheapo Maxxtech FMJ (Combloc production, fairly accurate but dirty). I'm pleased to announce it did not disappoint. Function with this dirty ammo was 100% and within a few mags the Micro was shooting almost as well as my Glock 42. I tried a couple mags of Remington FMJ and accuracy was about the same but ejection and recoil were stronger with a small fireball coming out of the muzzle.

The only thing I might change is to go with a solid black rear sight was this would match my Glock 42, which has an OEM white dot front and Ameriglo flat black rear. So far very pleased with this little pistol and look forward to trying my reloads in it.

Lefty Red
01-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Glad it's working out for you!
Held a Raptor Version today while looking for a Super Carry Pro and its a nice feeling little pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty Red
01-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Got a new model M&P 380 Bodyguard out to the range today and was impressed. No malfunctions in the 100 rounds of mix makers and brands of ammo. Also fed the Defender from WW and Critical Defense and shot point of aim.

It not completely broken in, feels a little gritty but smoothing out with with dry firing.

It's a non laser and non manual safety version. And since it's a DAO, doesn't need one. Has some heft and shoots good! Got about 500 round to put through it this weekend.

It's blacked out sights are nice, but in need of some contrast on the front sight. So some nail polish is in order.

And, it fits my Tagua 4in1 holster for my 938!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170121/ea3e6b27b9b3211a690f65ee7b342b78.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170121/49a5ba59526ad1c85e286d136ae4ca6e.jpg

FergusonTO35
01-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Glad to see it's working out for you. A manual safety on a long double action pull is pretty silly indeed.

FergusonTO35
02-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Shot the Micro some more last weekend and found that I am not used to three dot sights anymore. I shoot my Glock 42 quite well so I think the Kimber needs a similar sight picture. I found a used solid black front and rear sight set on Fleabay and bought it, installed it last night. The dovetails are super tight, the new/used sights required a fair amount of filing to go on. That accomplished, the front dot looks really conspicuous against the plain black rear which is what I like.

Also discovered that the firing pin safety spring is housed under the sight (never had a 1911 before), so I used the opportunity to learn how to disassemble the slide. It is as easy to do as a Glock. Push the firing pin inward with a small punch, which allows the rear cover plate to slide down. Then, the extractor and firing pin can be pulled out from the rear. Then, the firing pin safety and spring will fall out the bottom. Reassembly is simply the reverse. On my pistol, the bottom of the rear cover plate has a bevel where it contacts the hammer, this side should be facing towards the rear.

FergusonTO35
02-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Pocket carry is my usual mode for the Micro and I bought a Desantis Nemesis with it. The Nemesis listed for the Mustang/Micro/P238 is a rather snug fit and seems print a little more than I like. I tried the Nemesis I use for my Glock 42 and it is a perfect fit. It covers more of the gun and stays upright in the pocket better.

Lefty Red
02-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Pocket carry is my usual mode for the Micro and I bought a Desantis Nemesis with it. The Nemesis listed for the Mustang/Micro/P238 is a rather snug fit and seems print a little more than I like. I tried the Nemesis I use for my Glock 42 and it is a perfect fit. It covers more of the gun and stays upright in the pocket better.

I like the Super Fly, it's the Nemesis with the "flap". I thought it would be awkward, but the "flap" guides my hand to the grip and doesn't print.

Lefty

Lefty Red
02-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Shot the Micro some more last weekend and found that I am not used to three dot sights anymore. I shoot my Glock 42 quite well so I think the Kimber needs a similar sight picture. I found a used solid black front and rear sight set on Fleabay and bought it, installed it last night. The dovetails are super tight, the new/used sights required a fair amount of filing to go on. That accomplished, the front dot looks really conspicuous against the plain black rear which is what I like.

Also discovered that the firing pin safety spring is housed under the sight (never had a 1911 before), so I used the opportunity to learn how to disassemble the slide. It is as easy to do as a Glock. Push the firing pin inward with a small punch, which allows the rear cover plate to slide down. Then, the extractor and firing pin can be pulled out from the rear. Then, the firing pin safety and spring will fall out the bottom. Reassembly is simply the reverse. On my pistol, the bottom of the rear cover plate has a bevel where it contacts the hammer, this side should be facing towards the rear.

After I gave up on the Sig P938, I have been looking at the Kimber Mirco 9mm. Fell in love with the Raptor Model! Figure it's worth it for the sights and ambi safety. Buddy picked his up yesterday and we put 200ish rounds through it. Had some breaking in malfunctions, but now it is pretty slick and working great.

Compared it to my G43 and it's roughly the same size, with each sporting the 7 round extended magazine or finger extension by Pearce. The Mirco is a tad heavier but "sleeker". And the Kimber carries better I think.

Lefty, saving up box tops and bottle caps :)

FergusonTO35
02-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Ive always had good luck with Desantis holsters so I'll probably try the Superfly at some point. As much as I like my Micro I'd rather have the 43 for a small 9mm.

I've been saving pocket change since 2015 for a new Browning Hi-Power. Should be there this spring!

Lefty Red
02-06-2017, 05:15 AM
Ive always had good luck with Desantis holsters so I'll probably try the Superfly at some point. As much as I like my Micro I'd rather have the 43 for a small 9mm.

I've been saving pocket change since 2015 for a new Browning Hi-Power. Should be there this spring!

I think you are right. My finger is getting RA in it and overworked from shooting and trying to use the mag release on my non leftie friendly pistols. My Gen4s I can reverse the mag release and it has helped. But not in any others.

Guess I will be getting that 43/42 combo after all. :)

Lefty

FergusonTO35
02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Finally got all my reloading stuff unpacked and set up, so was able to try the Micro with boolits. Load was 3 grains Bullseye and a Federal primer under a Lee 356-102-2R sized to .357. The Micro did not disappoint! Feed and function was 100%, accuracy was at least as good as quality factory ammo. This particular load clocks around 920 fps out of my Glock 42 so hopefully I can chrono it out of the Micro soon.

Paul5388
02-20-2017, 05:48 PM
I find the Kimber to be a less desirable gun than the SIG P238. I suppose that's why I have a SIG P238. I like the steel frame, night sights and grips that don't interfere with pocket carry. I picked mine up at Academy for $525 to replace the LCP I did carry, which replaced the NAA Guardian that was a little heavy for my liking.

birch
02-20-2017, 07:25 PM
The 238 is the perfect .380 carry gun. I have put over 2000 out of my wife's. It eats anything. It cycles the action with little more than a primer and can handle plus p loads allay long. I am a big guy with big hands and it is comfortable, fun, accurate and above all else--reliable.

FergusonTO35
03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
The Micro is now an essential part of my carry rotation. I got a Superfly for it, and this holster works great. It keeps the pistol upright and reduces the print to where it looks more like a wallet, phone, or other rectangular object.

Had my first ever malfunction with the Micro last weekend. I was shooting some boolit reloads and an empty case wedged itself between the inside of the slide and the next round in the mag. I also had two instances in which the mag seemed to release itself after the last round was fired. Unless this was just a fluke I'm thinking I might have a bad mag here. I marked this mag and next range session I will try a different one with the same ammo to see if it happens again. Otherwise the Micro is still doing great and lots of fun to shoot.

deepwater
03-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Has anyone tried the "pink" 9mm Para ammo that is downloaded for recoil reduction? I believe 100 gr. bullets at reasonable speeds. It should be about in the middle of .380 and 9mm for energy. I am considering it for my 938 when the osteoarthritis gets too bad (2 years ago!). For others that may be having trouble hanging onto the small 9's,it could be a good alternative.

FergusonTO35
03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Never heard of it, however when I had my Kel-Tec PF9 I loaded it to hot .380 Auto/standard .38 Special power level. As I remember it was a Lee 356-120-TC over 3.4 grains Bullseye for around 940 fps.

Lefty Red
03-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Has anyone tried the "pink" 9mm Para ammo that is downloaded for recoil reduction? I believe 100 gr. bullets at reasonable speeds. It should be about in the middle of .380 and 9mm for energy. I am considering it for my 938 when the osteoarthritis gets too bad (2 years ago!). For others that may be having trouble hanging onto the small 9's,it could be a good alternative.

The Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FXT loads is what I tried on my Sig P938 and they were pretty good. I didn't noticed much difference, but others have.

FergusonTO35
03-30-2017, 10:11 AM
I fired the Micro some more yesterday and I think the mag drop problem is caused by my grip shifting when the pistol fires. It is definitely more common when you fire stout ammo such as Fiocchi or warm reloads. The mag release is quite close to the trigger guard, and if I put too much finger on the trigger I think the pistol can shift just enough to cause my finger to bump the mag release. I intentionally fired it with a firm grip and not as much finger on the trigger and the problem did not return yesterday so hopefully that is all it is.

Another thing I find is that the Micro likes ammo on the hot side. The most accurate load I have ever tried is 3.2 grains Bullseye with a Lee 356-102-2R. This is a pretty warm load, a little above the published max in most manuals, and not something you would put in a cheap pistol other than Hi-Point. The Micro makes neat cloverleafs at nearly perfect point of aim with this round, whereas with lesser charges it shoots a bit high with more spread. It also shoots the Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ quite well, which is what I use for carry in this pistol and my Glock 42. I have also put the Wolff 12 pound Colt Mustang recoil spring in the Micro. This spring is one or two pounds stronger than the rather squishy OEM Kimber spring and seems to absorb the impact of stout loads quite well, it also does a much better job of keeping the brass under control.

FergusonTO35
04-15-2017, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately, I think the Micro is going back to Yonkers. I am experiencing the mag drop issue and fired round sticking in the chamber at least once every range session. Today I put 25 rounds through it and the mag dropped three times and I had one empty shell stick in the chamber. This is not acceptable in a carry gun, obviously. It could simply have an out of spec mag catch and extractor. Hopefully I will get it back fixed right, as this pistol is accurate and carries great.

Lefty Red
04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
I had to send my Ultra Carry 2 in last year for FTF just about everything. It came back in 10 days and eats everything!

Let's us know the status.....

FergusonTO35
04-17-2017, 05:08 PM
I sure will. Dropped it off at the fun store for the trip back to Yonkers today with a detailed letter explaining what the problems are. As I type this I am carrying my Glock 42. Love that pistol, can't say enough good about it.

Lefty Red
04-18-2017, 05:10 AM
I like the G42, and the G43. Just not the company nor its owner. But they do produce a good weapon.

FergusonTO35
04-19-2017, 06:58 AM
I don't like the company or it's owner either. But that is outweighed by the ability to buy any Glock part, OEM or aftermarket, quickly and cheaply from thousands of places. If this problem happened with my 42 I probably have all the parts in my stash to fix it barring a frame/slide/barrel problem. With the Kimber, there is exactly one source for parts and they don't like selling them outside of the few on their website. That is, if you can even get them on the phone in the first place.

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 04:39 AM
I know, it's a major drawl to Glocks.

But truthfully, over the past few years and all the different pistols and revolvers that I have shot that needed repair had to be sent in or to a gunsmith. Only when I wanted to "tune" or personalize my Glock did aftermarket parts ever come into play. And very major company that I have used fixed the weapon and got it back to me quickly. So after knowing that, Glock lost a lot of the "desire" for me.

So I understand your post. Parts, and the fact that Glock makes a very good weapon that works. And at one time, was the leader in the industry. But now so many other companies have caught up and surpassed Glock, IMHO.

Anyways, keep us informed.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
05-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Got the Micro back today. They replaced the mag catch, mag catch spring, recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor, and a few other things I don't remember. Everything feels a lot tighter now even compared to when the gun was new. I wonder if Kimber figured out that they had a bad run of small parts at some point and are just replacing them on every gun that comes in? Anyhow, I'm planning to give it some exercise this weekend with factory and reloads. I really, really hope it is fixed right as I love shooting this pistol and it is a joy to carry.

FergusonTO35
05-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Gave the Micro some exercise after work today. I am pleased to announce that it worked perfectly with both FMJ and boolits. I really like how the mag stays in place quite firmly now. I think Kimber is using a stronger recoil spring now as the empties land a lot closer than they did. Accuracy is still really good. I sure hope the Micro stays fixed 'cause it's a great little pistol!

Lefty Red
05-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear it!
Saw two LNIB Micro 380 on the fun shop tonight. If it had an ambidextrous safety on it, it might have came home with me.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
05-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Hmm, LNIB. Mebbe they had problems and the owner decided to go ahead and unload them? Some Micros have the ambidextrous safety, I would think it is a drop in part.

Lefty Red
06-12-2017, 05:22 PM
So how has the Mirco been running? Thinking of getting one since yours and a friend's are running good.

FergusonTO35
06-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Still doing great! Have around 100 rounds through it since the repair and the difference is like night and day in terms of function. Carry it almost every day in an "Orgunizer" brand pocket holster which fits better than the Nemesis.

Lefty Red
06-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Still doing great! Have around 100 rounds through it since the repair and the difference is like night and day in terms of function. Carry it almost every day in an "Orgunizer" brand pocket holster which fits better than the Nemesis.

I went back to carrying on my pocket as well. I use a cheap Uncle Mike #3 holster with a Clip Draw. Finally found a way to keep the weapon close to the top and trigger covered.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
06-16-2017, 10:20 AM
I thought I should add, prices on the Sig P238 are coming down. Rural King one county over from me has the basic black one for $449.95. Back when I bought the Kimber they were all $600.00+.

FergusonTO35
06-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Just thought I'd let you know, I gave the Micro some more exercise yesterday. On the menu was 3.1 grains Bullseye/Lee 356-102-2R/Federal primer at .963 OAL. The Micro gobbled 'em up no problem with fair accuracy, empties landing around 6 feet away. This load chronos a very consistent 886 fps out of this pistol, by comparison Remington and Federal FMJ factory ammo is around 50 fps slower. I'm very happy with the Micro since I got it back. If it always performs this way I will be carrying it for a long time to come.

Lefty Red
06-26-2017, 06:13 AM
I thought I should add, prices on the Sig P238 are coming down. Rural King one county over from me has the basic black one for $449.95. Back when I bought the Kimber they were all $600.00+.

Yes they are! Seems like all guns are coming down in price.

FergusonTO35
06-26-2017, 11:08 PM
I've never known Sigs to come down in price, it seems they would rather create budget models to fill lower price points. I think the main reason this one was so much cheaper is that it doesn't have night sights. When I was shopping for one, they all came with night sights so you had to pay for them whether you wanted them or not.