PDA

View Full Version : Join the Cast Bullet Association

chefreiss1
11-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is David Reiss and I am the membership director for the Cast Bullet Association. We are an organization of approximately 1600 members worldwide, with of course the vast majority of our members in the U.S.. You can visit or website at www.castbulletassoc.org (http://www.castbulletassoc.org/). (which is currently being remodeled and updated, it should be completed soon, however the old site is still up and running). for more info. As a benefit of being a member you receive our bi-monthly magazine, The Fouling Shot and can participate in our regional matches which include everything from benchrest rifle & handgun matches to military & sporter freehand matches and everything inbetween. We even have postal matches you can participate in from your home range and mail in your target. Below is our charter. I hope to hear from you soon & look forward to you joining our organization.

If you will let me know I will send you a free digital copy of The Fouling Shot.

The Cast Bullet Association's Nature and Purpose

The Cast Bullet Association is an organization of shooters who enjoy shooting cast lead bullets in rifles and handguns for competition, hunting, or informal target shooting. The Association's central purpose is to help shooters enjoy cast bullet shooting by:

1) Stimulating & encouraging experiments in casting & handloading cast
bullets that will improve the design, accuracy & effectiveness of the
ammunition & increase the satisfaction & enjoyment of shooters.

2) Provide well-regulated shooting competition programs including postal matches that can be shot on the shooter's home range for those who would like to test their handloading & shooting cast bullet skills against others.

3) Publishing an official journal, The Fouling Shot, to serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas, to report on the results of experiments, experiences, and competitions with cast bullets; and to report all affairs of the association to the membership.

4) Conducting the association's affairs in a manner which presents a favorable impression of the private ownership of firearms to the general public & to otherwise support the citizen's right to keep & bear arms.

nagantguy
11-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Cost? Who do I pay and hello my name is Steve and I have a addiction to Russian surplus arms and casting and reloading and lately I've spent most day light hours in a tree stand, I'm a bad influence and may not be fit for membership in your fine organization!

runfiverun
11-17-2016, 11:45 PM
shoot David a PM.
the fouling shot is worth the money.
many of our current and former members have written many articles for it.
last time I checked it was $30.00 for 2 years.

chefreiss1
11-18-2016, 01:58 AM
Just go to the our website, castbulletassoc.org and you can join there. All the fees are listed. Any other questions my email & phone is listed on the site also.

alamogunr
11-18-2016, 09:53 AM
I've been a member for several years. The last time I renewed, I did so for 5 years. When that is up, I will evaluate whether I will be around for another 5 years. Over the past 20 years I've been able to acquire all the back issues that were published before I started subscribing. The first few years The Fouling Shot was just several sheets typewritten both sides. Those are very interesting to me because the subjects range all over the place.

Almost every issue now has an article by Ed Harris.

Much of the magazine is taken up with match reports. For the most part they are not very interesting to me. The match reports do have details about the rifles used along with molds etc. There is usually a report of a match for military surplus rifles. This can be an education in itself to see which milsurps are used and how well they do. I am not and never will be a match shooter but seeing which rifles are shooting good scores is an indication of which ones have the most potential for good accuracy.

Dusty Bannister
11-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Like John, the BR competitions are just not my thing, but I do like to shoot and work with cast bullets. You will find match results on the web site that will show you what was used in competition, rifle models, calibers, mold numbers, alloy and all the other details that the winners used. The newer issues are listing the various ranges that have these competitions and might be closer to the visitor than you would think.

The Fouling Shot is available in digital form for all members at the same price since no postage adjustments are necessary. For folks like me, the hard copy is also available, with adjustments for US, Canada, and other countries. If you are not already a member, consider taking a look at the digital copy offer, then decide what will serve your needs best. It will not even cost you a stamp to take a look at The Fouling Shot.

Thank you David for getting this information out to more shooters that might be interested.

Reg
11-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Been a member for a number of years. Like here, it is another great source for cast bullet information.
Not everyone can compete in the matches, in my case , there is simply no matches held within reasonable driving distance but there are the postal matches that anyone can compete in.

chefreiss1
11-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Steve, you are certainly welcome to join and will fit in well. Most people think the CBA is all about competition, and that is true to, but we have many members that just shoot handguns, some just hunt and the majority don't compete. But the CBA leads the way in cast bullet shooting innovation and holds the records of all national CB matches. We encourage our members to write about their experiences and every issue articles of interest to most everyone. One secret is the 500 page CBA book on cast bullet shooting by CBA member Joe Brennan & other CBA members, it is a wealth of information written by shooters with 100s of years of experience. If you don't find the CBA worth the cost of membership, you must be the ultimate expert on CB shooting.

Outpost75
11-18-2016, 12:51 PM
I find the match reports and associated technical data sheets MOST interesting, as these give REAL WORLD data with actual performance obtained and details on the rifles and loads used, NOT "made up shooting with the computer keyboard" accompanied by unadulterated BS and unbelieveable claims...

On this forum I find most useful posts where people put up pictures of their fired targets. As far as I'm concerned, no pictures, it never happened! The only exception is where you have published score and group results fired at a match in front of witnesses!

And yes, while some issues of The Fouling Shot do have lots of space devoted to match results, not every issue does. If you have the patience to glean through those tables you will learn a lot. AND the Editor rewards the people not interested in match shooting with the wonderful mix of handgun, hunting, casting and non-competition-related articles.

There is usually something for everyone, and the material is of uniformly high quality. While the CBA does not "pay" for articles, the CBA Board has been known to reward "frequent contributors" of articles published in The Fouling Shot with free dues for a year or two, or in a few cases "Life" membership for outstanding contributions to the cast bullet literature. I find the quality of most Fouling Shot articles MUCH better than the common advertising "puff" pieces you find in news stand magazines. Glen Latham's style of editing will remind older readers of American Rifleman back in the old days when it was at its prime.

Bottom line, well worth the money!

Alstep
11-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Been a member for many years. Well written with lots of good info, as already posted. Well worth being a member.

Victor N TN
11-18-2016, 02:48 PM
I would be interested in seeing something about your club. I didn't know it existed. johnsonvw1911@gmail.com

chefreiss1
11-18-2016, 04:24 PM
The Fouling Shot is the only printed publication devoted to cast bullet shooting and has come a long way since its beginning over 40 years ago. With the recent addition of a slick, color, glossy cover, it is much more than a club or association newsletter.

Silverboolit
11-18-2016, 07:30 PM
I haven't competed since I was in high school and we shot postal matches. I am interested in the postal matches, as most of the competitions are quite aways for me as well. Does the CBA publish the postal match results?

chefreiss1
11-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Yes we do, in every Fouling Shot issue and as soon as the website has been revamped I believe on there again also.

chefreiss1
11-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all that have joined the past couple days, but we welcome more.

Yodogsandman
11-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Take advantage of the free issue of Fouling Shot magazine. Member articles have always been on the "cutting edge" of our boolit casting and very informative. Great to refer back to past articles when researching stuff.

Dale53
11-20-2016, 11:32 AM
I have been a member of the Cast Bullet ***'n for many, many years. In fact, I just renewed my membership. I am also a contributor.

I have gained a good deal of REAL information of quality from the magazine as well as the web site over the years.

The low cost is a bargain in today's world...

FWIW
Dale53

chefreiss1
11-22-2016, 01:10 PM
I am really glad to hear from so many current members and your great testimonials.

dtknowles
11-22-2016, 01:22 PM
I just rejoined. My membership lapsed because I was too lazy to track down a checkbook. I just used Paypal this time.

Tim

wcp4570
11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Chief
I would like to take you up on the free digital copy of the fouling shot. I will PM you my email address. I recently signed up for a login for the forum discussion on CBA. Thanks for the offer.

wcp

michael.birdsley
11-24-2016, 12:17 AM
I've been thinking about joining I would like to start shooting competitively for fun to become better. Thought briefly about three gun competition but, that looks to intense and very expensive. Other than the rifle/pistol, molds and bench rest in the bench rest competition. Are the competitions kind of relaxed is there a lot of specialty equipment required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catskinner
11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Micheal, I've been shooting CBA competition for about 20 years and the competitors are the most laid back of any competition I have shot. You probably have a rifle or rifles that qualify. Two classes are factory rifle requiring factory action,barrel,trigger and stock. Biggest difference is weight and there are some modifications allowed.There are classes for military surplus rifles,3 classes,Issue,modified iron sights and modified scope sight. Issue is exactly that . The modified classes allow some modifications. Scope class is limited to 6X. Check the CBA web site for competition rules. Any questions you have send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer.

Outpost75
11-24-2016, 12:13 PM
This is a proposal for a new postal match series being discussed in the CB forum and is being recommended to take to the CBA Board. I think it illustrates a thought process encouraging "laid back" competition.

PRACTICAL SMALL GAME aka, “Rabbit Hunter” or “Bunny Gun”

This fun match encourages use of fixed ammunition using plain-based lead bullets in light sporting rifles or handguns suitable for hunting small game, fired at short range, from practical field positions.

1) Any single-shot or repeating rifle, either center-fire or rim-fire, weight not to exceed 7-1/2 pounds, complete with iron sights, or hunting scope not to exceed 6X. (Variables may be taped at 6X). A sling may be used. No fore-end stops, adjustable butt plates, adjustable comb or palm rests allowed.

2) Any pistol or revolver, of any caliber or barrel length, weight not to exceed 50 ozs. IRON SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 FEET. SCOPE SIGHT handgun - record targets shot at 50 YARDS.

3) There is NO restriction as to caliber, either rimfire or center-fire as long as firearms use fixed ammunition and lead bullets without a gas check. .22 LR and WRF loaded with lead bullets are OK, but jacketed .17 HMR, .22 WMR, are not.

4) Rifle barrels must be of legal US length 16 inches or longer. Muzzle diameter or measurement across the flats (if octagon) of either rifle or handgun may not exceed .90”

5) Iron sights may not contain any glass or plastic lenses, filters or leveling aids.

6) Custom guns may be used, but must follow the “spirit” of the rules, being suitable for a farmer’s or country gentleman’s “walking gun”, a lawman’s carbine or outdoorsman’s trail handgun. Rifle stocks must be of wood. Laminated wood stocks are permitted, as are bedding adjustments or repairs containing fiberglass or epoxy, as long as the gun meets all sight and weight restrictions.

NRA Lifesize Game Target Cottontail Rabbit
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552641

RIFLE:
Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from any practical field position at the shooter’s option from a range of 50 YARDS. Firing must be from off the ground, from either prone, sitting, kneeling or standing position, shooter’s option. A shooting sling, walking stick or cane, tree branch or crossed sticks held in the hand, but NOT “jammed” into the ground may be used for support. Shooters requiring use of a wheel chair for mobility may use one arm of their chair for support.

HANDGUN (Pistol or Revolver):
Ten shots fired in a time limit of ten minutes from an unsupported standing position at a range of 50 FEET in the IRON sight class, and 50 YARDS in the scope sight class. A two-handed hold may be used, but no other means of support is allowed.

SCORING:

Unlimited practice shots may be taken on the marked sighter target.

Ten shots will be scored on marked record targets. If there are excessive hits the low ten shots will be scored. Shots contained completely inside the brain or heart-lung vital areas without breaking the lines count “X” used in breaking ties only. Shots breaking the lines of those vital areas score ten points each. Shots not breaking vital lines, but completely contained within the rabbit body count 8 points. Leg hits 5 points. Scratch hits touching anywhere else on rabbit including the feet, ears or tail count 1 point each.

RE-ENTRY
Shooters are limited to one entry in each class, but may enter and fire in all classes, iron sighted rifle, scoped rifle, iron sighted handgun, and scoped handgun.

Starting Point for discussion of a Proposed Match Schedule:

January - Snowshoe Bunny, entries above Mason-Dixon line only unless below freezing or you have snow!

February - Ladies Only Valentine Bunny

March – Spring Ice Breaker - New Shooter’s and Juniors Only – Juniors Under Age 18

April - Retiree’s Revenge – Retired Codgers over age 65

May - Military Rifle, Service Pistol or Revolver weight limit is suspended this month only for Memorial Day

June – Regular Monthly Match

July – Independence Day Bunny - Muzzleloading Rifle, Pistol or Cap & Ball Revolver - NO Weight Limit!

August – Regular Monthly Match

September – Regular Monthly Match

October – no match, you have had time to practice and should be out hunting Rascally Wabbits!

November – no match, you should be out deer hunting!

December - no match, Merry Christmas!

The rules are intended to be flexible, but to encourage people to "dance with the girl they brought" rather than building "rule beater" guns. Having to shoot from practical field positions is a great leveler.

CBA already has a Deer Hunter's Practical match using a lifesized deer target with hunting rifles from standing position, which is popular. It is hoped that the Bunny Gun match will encourage new shooters to try out their .22s if that's all they have, then they can try cast loads in their deer rifle after they get "bitten by the bug."

michael.birdsley
11-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Micheal, I've been shooting CBA competition for about 20 years and the competitors are the most laid back of any competition I have shot. You probably have a rifle or rifles that qualify. Two classes are factory rifle requiring factory action,barrel,trigger and stock. Biggest difference is weight and there are some modifications allowed.There are classes for military surplus rifles,3 classes,Issue,modified iron sights and modified scope sight. Issue is exactly that . The modified classes allow some modifications. Scope class is limited to 6X. Check the CBA web site for competition rules. Any questions you have send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer.

I joined last night. I'm a little bit away from being ready for postal matches but, hopefully by summer.

upnorthwis
11-24-2016, 09:55 PM
My favorite is the Military matches. I used to have to drive for three hours to get to the closest match but I cured that by running my own at the Lincoln Gun Club in Merrill, WI. There are no matches that are more laid back than these.

RogerDat
11-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Cost? Who do I pay and hello my name is Steve and I have a addiction to Russian surplus arms and casting and reloading and lately I've spent most day light hours in a tree stand, I'm a bad influence and may not be fit for membership in your fine organization!

It's true - hopelessly addicted, and most definitely a bad influence, can I get a witness! Oh wait I'm a witness. Yep he's 100% Guilty. One of those cases where he confession was NOT coerced. Unless you count letting him join, we mostly just keep him electronically tethered to the aforementioned tree stand hoping he will become fit for civilized society. No luck so far maybe you guys can do something with him. HiYa Steve :-)

michael.birdsley
12-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Just received my membership card and magazine last Saturday

dtknowles
12-06-2016, 04:22 PM
How do I view my electronic copy of the magazine and when do I know when the next issue is available?

Tim

Outpost75
12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Tim, PM me with your email address and I can send you a .pdf of the current issue.

dromia
12-09-2016, 02:12 AM
I was impressed by the new web site 'till I went to the forum. it looks like the old messaging boards we used to have in the early days of the netty and looks backward and not as easy on the eye and more difficult to navigate that proper forums.

Good that they have electronic membership renewal and electronic versions of the fouling shot.

A mixed bag of improvements and backward steps but I've renewed for five years, real shame about the forum though the old fashioned layout doesn't make me want to return often.

BTW what the hell are Tags?

alamogunr
12-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Received the current issue yesterday. For me, it was full of good stuff. I do enjoy reading about others experiences. The article about black powder in the .45 Colt made me want to try it. I also enjoyed the article by Steve Hurst on trying out handguns. Some may argue that none of this is "new" stuff, but, as I said I enjoyed it and am glad that all the authors took the time to write and submit.

pdgh59
12-10-2016, 06:31 PM
I joined earlier in the week. Shooting postal comps is not viable due to distance but the articles in Fouling Shot are very good.

No_1
05-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Bump for a good cause.

Shuz
05-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Bump for a good cause.
Thanks for the "BUMP"...I missed the original post back in November due to being out of the country. FWIW I've been a member of the CBA for about 30 years and have found it to be a great organization, with some really neat people. During the past 30 years, I've participated in the Spokane Rifle Club sponsored CBA matches, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have also participated in some of the postal matches down thru the years, but don't find them to be as much fun as "shoulder to shoulder" competition, YMMV.
All in all, a very worthwhile organization, check it out!--Shuz