PDA

View Full Version : reflex red dot happiness, sort of

tdoyka
11-17-2016, 07:34 PM
today i had the chance to shoot my red dot( TruGlo Red-dot Dual, Red-Green Sight 5 MOA Dot Up To 26% OFF | Best Rated TG8385BN (http://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-red-dot-dual-red-green-sight-5-moa-dot.html) ) on a ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel) in 44 mag. the first two shots at 25 yards started to get me excited, but thats when i realized the scope base was about (RUGER Revolver MINI Scope Mount WEIG-A-TINNY WEAVER Picatinny - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOVP7j2IUg) ) to come off. so i went down to the basement and took it apart. i did not use lock tite so i once again tighten it. i took it back out and the same thing happened. back down the cellar i go.

this time i used lock tite but it didn't go exactly as planned. the scope base was not level, its down if you look at the front sight while high to the back sight. the lock tite set up a little too fast for a one armed guy. i wouldn't tell you about the things i've said, but i put on the red dot anyway. i took it out again and i sat down to try it. after a couple of shots the scope base did not come off. so next it was go to the target. i shot, nuthin happened. i shot again, nuthin happened. at this point i was about ready to put the gun away for good. but i got up and i went till i was 10 yards from the target. i shoot, there's one high. i shoot again, another high one. meaning at 10 yards, i was roughly 12-14" high and about 3" to the right.

i just prayed that the scope had that much adjustment. it took me another 6 rounds to get near the target(roughly about 2 1/2 turns on the scope). the target is roughly a 2" diamond that i painted(spray can) on. i was sort of on, but not quite. i shot it like 7 or 8 times before i had it on the target. then i shot it about 20-30 times at the target before i started to wonder off. i'll try tomorrow to do 30, 40 and 50 yards. 50 yards will be the most i can do with only one arm.

the reflex sight for me worked at 25 yards. i have to find out how far it will work, wishing for 50 yards. the truglo is a little bit bulky. however it does 44 sp with 250gr mihek hp extremely well. i have done a bunch of groups(25 yards 5 shots)that go 1 to 1 1/4". if i take 3 shots, i will get 1/2-3/4". i've haven't done that with open sights. the .5 moa dot can be shrunk down tho. a 2.5 moa seems much better. but you get what you pay for. i'm going to get a vortex or burris reflex sight, but a truglo for less than $70 is the bees knees.

skeettx
11-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Great report
Thank you for sharing
Looking forward to a future report
Mike

daniel lawecki
11-17-2016, 08:13 PM
As far as the Loctite if you heat the screw with soldering iron the screws can be removed no big deal then start over was it blue or red.

GhostHawk
11-17-2016, 10:38 PM
]I have been putting truglo red/greens on several of my guns including a pair of Ruger Mk III's one of which has the same rail.

I also recently bought a Truglo 2x Red Dot sight with integral flip up lens covers. This is the pure ticket for being able to stretch your legs from 50 out to 100 yards with old eyes. It currently resides on my Yugo SKS. Where it appears to be very happy. Thinking a couple of more of those are in my future. It is in a single color, red, but intensity from 1 - 11 means a lot more control over how bright, and at least somewhat how big the dot is.

tdoyka
11-18-2016, 01:42 AM
As far as the Loctite if you heat the screw with soldering iron the screws can be removed no big deal then start over was it blue or red.

it was blue.

ole 5 hole group
11-18-2016, 09:11 AM
I'll make a suggestion relative to Loctite - for firearm use, just use the "purple" Loctite, item # 222MS, it's low strength, the screw will ALWAYS turn with normal hand strength using a screwdriver and it will hold any small firearm/scope ring & base screws regardless of recoil.

Blue Loctite is for much larger projects with bolts 1/4" or larger and Red is pretty permanent for most items.

tdoyka
11-18-2016, 05:32 PM
I'll make a suggestion relative to Loctite - for firearm use, just use the "purple" Loctite, item # 222MS, it's low strength, the screw will ALWAYS turn with normal hand strength using a screwdriver and it will hold any small firearm/scope ring & base screws regardless of recoil.

Blue Loctite is for much larger projects with bolts 1/4" or larger and Red is pretty permanent for most items.

i'll have to try it. i've been using never seize(Bostik Regular Grade Products - Industrial Supply Group (http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm) ) for my scopes and bases. it works great. i didn't use it on the 44 tho. i took the chance not to use never seize or loctite. i used blue loctite and i didn't have enuff time to set the base properly. my fault, no one else. i'll have to try the purple stuff.

tdoyka
11-18-2016, 07:32 PM
i used a bog pod and a primus lift n lock on all target. i only managed to do a 30 and 40 yards target. the 30 yard target was as good as the 25 yarder, which means it was 1 1/2 - 2". the 40 yarder goes approx. 1 3/4 - 3 1/4", if i take out the 3 1/4" it goes to 2 1/2". i started opening up my groups, so i put the revolver away.

after i'm sure i can do a target at 50 yards(3 -4" groups), i'll try it at 30-50 yards without the primos. up to 30 yards i will try not to use a bog pod. ([smilie=l:i'll say i have to use the bog pod cause i'm disabled and stuff!!![smilie=l:) i'm really surprised at my groups, its nice to see that i only use one hand. when i start to wonder off of the target, its time to put the gun away. its one thing i have learned since my stroke. when(back in the day) i would take out my ruger srh(7.5" barrel) in 44 mag, i would expect to fire a 1 1/2 - 2" ( 5 shot) group at 100 yards. now if i can do a 50 yard target with a 4" group i'm real excited. it don't take much, huh?:)

the load is a 44 sp with a 250gr mihek hp(40:1 or 8bhn) over a 7.0gr of unique in a sbh(4 5/8" barrel). i know its not what skeeter would say, but its a little more accurate. i know i should have stayed with the 44 mag, but dang it, the 44 sp is alot more accurate. i have ten or twenty 44 mag with 250gr hp but i only use it after i clean the gun's rifling(so far only once).