PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a benchrest gunsmith for 22 lr

B. Lumpkin
11-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Hi all.

Recently I started shooting 22 again and realized how much I really enjoyed it. I am looking to buy a very accurate 22 lr chambered rifle. This will be for bench shooting only and pure fun.

Can any of you recommend a good gunsmith who specializes in 22lr benchrest rifles, or perhaps point me to an off the shelf ready benchrest rifle? The rifle needs to accept current scope mounting options and current made scopes. I would prefer a repeater, but can live with a single shot.

My budget is $2,000 for the rifle. I already have plenty of scopes, lol.

I'm no stranger to bench shooting, but I have been out of the rimfire world for over 6 years so have no clue where to start with even putting one together.

lefty o
11-17-2016, 03:54 PM
cooper TRP3 fits the bill nicely.

samari46
11-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Google Jim Calfee, used to do articles in Precision Shooting magazine and build really accurate 22 bench guns. Or go look for a nice Martini International MKII or any in the international family. Frank

aspangler
11-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Try Jpat here on the forum. He taught Calfee. Don't do much anymore due to age but he might be persuaded. You can PM me if you want email or Phone info.

lefty o
11-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Google Jim Calfee, used to do articles in Precision Shooting magazine and build really accurate 22 bench guns. Or go look for a nice Martini International MKII or any in the international family. Frank
i dont believe you'll get a used calfee built gun for what the op is looking to spend.

B. Lumpkin
11-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Thank you for all the input and direction. The Cooper looks about right for what I am wanting. There is a place that has them in stock, but with some funky colored laminate stocks, lol.

I've looked around other places and there are people who will build a "Tactical Trainer" style for less than $2,000, but IMO I've never had a built tactical gun that was better than a built benchrest gun.

I've seen a few built up 40x Rifles in my price range and have emails in to the sellers of those so hopefully I'll have a few options on my plate in the next week, but I'm still leaning towards the Cooper.

Calamity Jake
11-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Try Jpat here on the forum. He taught Calfee. Don't do much anymore due to age but he might be persuaded. You can PM me if you want email or Phone info.

He still builds 22's, $7000 and a 2 yr. wait, comes with a case of ammo that the rifle likes.

B. Lumpkin
11-18-2016, 08:11 PM
He still builds 22's, $7000 and a 2 yr. wait, comes with a case of ammo that the rifle likes.

Holy moly!!

jcwit
11-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Try here
http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=5&b=199

Houndog
11-18-2016, 09:39 PM
You might try Allen Stegall ( Stegall Construction) or Jessee's gunsmithing in Blountville TN for a used Benchrest 22. Both of these men usually have a couple for trade and they WILL tell you the truth about them!

maxreloader
11-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Holy moly!!

+10 <<<<<<<<<<<

aspangler
11-19-2016, 12:27 AM
That's Calfee not Jpat. Jpat would get it out in less than a month. I would be helping him do the work. You could still get one for less than what you want to spend from some of the 50-50 shooters that have quit the game. Check around and let me know. I may be able to find a good used one locally.

aspangler
11-19-2016, 12:29 AM
You might try Allen Stegall ( Stegall Construction) or Jessee's gunsmithing in Blountville TN for a used Benchrest 22. Both of these men usually have a couple for trade and they WILL tell you the truth about them!
Jesse's is Jpat. I forgot about Allen or the "Old Bat" as we call him.LOL

B. Lumpkin
11-19-2016, 01:04 AM
That's Calfee not Jpat. Jpat would get it out in less than a month. I would be helping him do the work. You could still get one for less than what you want to spend from some of the 50-50 shooters that have quit the game. Check around and let me know. I may be able to find a good used one locally.

I'm definitely open to purchasing a used rifle. I will send a PM.