PDA

View Full Version : Mold treating

Mgvande
11-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Has anyone used moly on there new molds vs smoking them so they are less sticky. I put some spray Molly in my ingot mold to see if it works and I think there was an improvement. Just seeing if this would be a good practice for a mold. Thanks

John Boy
11-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Smoke molds? No
But something new: When I put the mold away, it is sprayed with Eezox, a cleaner - lube and rust preventative. Normally when a mold is fitted for it's handles, I clean the block with Micro-90. Tried just casting the mold with the Eezox left on. Surprise! Works very good

Calamity Jake
11-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Moly takes up space in the cavities makes the boolits smaller!!!!

ascast
11-17-2016, 12:25 PM
My opinion is that NEI mold treatment is the best. Graphite in an alcohol solution. Cover everything with it. Unless you put whole drops in the mold to dry, it will never amount to enough to alter bullet weight. Good short term moisture preventive and very good anti splatter agent. May need to re-coat after a bunch of casts. Never clean or oil again. Store in GI ammo cans.

gwpercle
11-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Micro particles of Teflon in an alcohol base is what Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant is .
A light coat in the cavities is the best mould release I have ever used.
I actually coat all surfaces with it , lead doesn't want to stick and it has protected the moulds from rust. Louisiana is great for heat, humidity and rust.
Gary

mdi
11-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Moly takes up space in the cavities makes the boolits smaller!!!! Plus anything in the mold (smoke or release agent) will leave an impression on the surface of the bullets, rough finish...

I use nothing on my molds except brake clean to clean my molds and no smoke/release agent. I just use some lube, very little, on the alignment pins and sprue plate...

1989toddm
11-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Micro particles of Teflon in an alcohol base is what Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant is .
A light coat in the cavities is the best mould release I have ever used.
I actually coat all surfaces with it , lead doesn't want to stick and it has protected the moulds from rust. Louisiana is great for heat, humidity and rust.
Gary

I've done this also, seems to work well.
Another use for liquid wrench dry lubricant is as a case lube! Stand cases up in rows, spray one pass on opposing sides, let dry-2-3 minutes, size! I use it on 44 mag. Don't need to wipe cases afterward either.

gwpercle
11-18-2016, 03:44 PM
I've done this also, seems to work well.
Another use for liquid wrench dry lubricant is as a case lube! Stand cases up in rows, spray one pass on opposing sides, let dry-2-3 minutes, size! I use it on 44 mag. Don't need to wipe cases afterward either.

Case lube....now that's a good idea , going to give it a try .
Thanks 1989toddm !
Gary