PDA

View Full Version : How disassemble the pin?

iwottopq
11-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Hello to all.
I must to mount a Lyman mould on a Policlics adapter but the stop pin of the top surface interfere.
How I can disassemble the stop pin?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Nino

smokeywolf
11-17-2016, 06:33 AM
In my case, I have lathe collets that will fit just about everything up to 1-3/16". If I didn't have the collets, I'd put some aluminum soft jaws on a bench vise, grab the pin with those and start rotating and pulling on the mould. You could even put the aluminum vise jaws in a drill press vise and drill about a .008" or 0.1mm dia. hole bisecting where the jaws meet and end up with a collet-like effect to gain a better hold on the pin.

Correction:
Guess I was getting a bit sleepy last night when I typed the above. If you choose to drill the hole bisecting the two aluminum vise jaws it should be .008" or 0.1 mm smaller than the diameter of the pin in your mould.

MT Gianni
11-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Chuck it in a hand drill not the electric kind but hand powered and use penetrating oil.

iwottopq
11-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Hello.
Thanks to all for your reply.
I will tray today .
Ciao
Nino

stinjie
11-21-2016, 10:28 PM
My 358156 Lyman needed the stop pin removed to resurface the mold top.Every way I tried just mangled the pin.Ground the pin away,resurfaced the top of the mold,drilled out the remaining pin,installed a good roll pin,all worked great.Cast Away!!!

iwottopq
11-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Hello to all. Stinjie.
I think that your is the best way to made the work...
Thanks.
Nino

beagle
12-04-2016, 12:28 AM
Usually, heating the mould a little but not up to casting temp, grab with vise grips and they'll pop right out when turned. If you booger it up, as has been suggested above, a spring or roll pin works as a replacement as it only acts as a stop anyway./beagle