PDA

View Full Version : Computer reloading log

quietmike
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Can anyone tell me of a good reloading log book program for a computer?

Want to have all the normal variables for the load, and also be able to print the pages for a hardcopy.

Thanks in advance.

joeb33050
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
The quick answer is "NO". I don't know how to make a worksheet that is big enough to hold all the info required and also is small enough to allow printing on 8.5X11 paper.
I have used EXCEL spreadsheets/workbooks to record loading info for various guns for ~ 10 years, never been happy with what I did.
There's an example in the book. Here's how to look at it:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/
"FILES"
"EXCEL SPREADSHEETS WORKBOOKS"
"M54 WINCHESTER WORKBOOK EXAMPLE EDITED.xls "

I have made and can make an 8.5X11 page that will hold all the info anyone needs for a given load, but I can't then sort those pages by EX bullet or lube or primer or ????

If we start with the page and consider that the input document, we can record anything calculated Ex Avg group size on the paper and have all the info on the spreadsheet.

Maybe there's a way to have an EXCEL workbook with the data in a workbook, then that data on another worksheet liik like an 8.5X11 piece of paper.

I'm thinking/sure that a data base guy could do it, but my experience is that people are either spreadsheet people or data base people, and I'm a spreadsheet guy.

It is a puzzlement.
joe b.

Gunload Master
06-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I've had something similar to this coded for my website. Here's the link:
http://gunloads.com/modules.php?name=Gunloads&pa=list_pages_categories&cid=0

Pick out Rifle or Pistol or whatever. Find your Caliber, submit your load, once it get's approved you can go back to it and e-mail it to someone or print it out (it has all the options).

Echo
06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry - I am O&U, and, before I retired from USAF, I had the graphics folks run me off about 100 sheets of legal-sized stuff set up for what I thought would be appropriate, and am still using this manual method (this was >before< Excel). And it would be easy to design the same thing in Excel, to print off a bunch more. No formulae, just a form. I'm happy with the manual method - keeps the info handy, easy to scribble comments in, and rapidly accessible.
IMnever-to-beHO.
If anyone is interested in the form, I will do one up and post it. Legal size gives plenty of room, for me anyway.

selmerfan
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
You idiots, now you have me inputting data into ANOTHER reloading program! Thanks Phineas Bluster! That is a very nice program, especially when used in conjunction w/Reloaders Reference.
Selmerfan

John Boy
06-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Selmerfan - one of the nice features about PointBlank is:
After you get your fps over the chrono - put all the POI's on the graph as BullsEyes.
Then when you run the MOA - Inches at selected ranges .... the output will be more correct than if you messed around and plotted the POI's exactly as you shot them.

It's a neat program - been using it for about 4 years now.

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I use a 3 ring binder and note book paper. In recent times, I have printed off computer pages to fill in the gaps on how to do some things.

Plus now I recently started to put things in ink, so now they are permanent.

Jerry

selmerfan
06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the tip John Boy, I'm still messing around with it. I need to try that!
Selmerfan