PDA

View Full Version : refill a grease syringe

LouB
11-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Grease syringes are kinda expensive, relative to the amt they hold. Tubes and cans/bottles og gun grease are significantly less. Any one have any ideas how to refill ?? A search here yielded no findings. The plungers are easy to pop out. Then, the tuff part. Filling the tube.

THX

Lou B

B. Lumpkin
11-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Stuff it in with a popsicle stick or other object. Me? I just suck up more grease through the syringe. You can order syringes in several sizes for very cheap on the internet.

rancher1913
11-16-2016, 11:50 AM
there are several utubes on doing this, try under rc cars or just google search "grease syringes"

AggieEE
11-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Talk to your dentist out of a small mixing spatula, about 3/8" wide. Open the syringe and start packing. You will have air in the tube. Just live with it. I use Mystic JT8 chassis grease in place of Shooters Choice grease.

georgerkahn
11-16-2016, 12:02 PM
I tried this once, resulting in a very minor mess complementing relatively major success. "Tools/stuff" needed are a standard lever automobile type grease gun; a zerk fitting; some solvent (I do not recall if I used lacquer thinner or acetone); and, some 2-part epoxy.

I took the empty gun grease container and near the bottom drilled a hole a few thousandths' smaller than threads on Zerc fitting (with plunger fully up). Using a q-tip saturated with solvent, I did a fair job degreasing opening, and then screwed in zerc fitting with threads covered with 2-part epoxy. I let it harden overnight. Next day, I spooned some grease into the lever grease gun, and after purging air from it, lowered the gun grease plunger until it contacted epoxy/zerc fitting. I then made a few pumps, and much to my pleasant surprise, the gun grease plunger moved up -- indicating it was working! The "minor" problem was after a few uses, the epoxy lost its bond to the plastic, so it is now like as big flat washer, I suspect. Regardless, a very high percentage of grease goes out gun-grease syringe nozzle -- with a wee amount squeshing out about zerc fitting.
If I should ever re-do or try to improve upon this, I think I'd do the same but use J-B or J-D (???) weld. This stuff seems to stick better to plastic.
One/another down-fall is due to the presence of zerc fitting and epoxy, one can no longer depress plunger all the way, but for my purposes -- primarily on gas guns -- so little grease is used it's never been a problem.
Good luck!
geo

plainsman456
11-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Have done it using a grease needle.

aephilli822
11-16-2016, 12:04 PM
tube (straw) and a dowel? push the tube in the grease to fill tube and use the plunger to push the grease into the syringe

John Boy
11-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Any one have any ideas how to refill ?? Melt the grease and pour it in the tube and let the tube cool

country gent
11-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I have filled regular vetranary syringes with grease. I have used a grease needle, I made mine from 1/8" steel tubing and a grease zerk. This enabled filling the syringe from bottom to top. When the plunger was re inserted it pushed grease out the bottom and left air in the syringe between the plunger and grease. I have also thumb packed it in to the syringe from top down and left some room for the plunger both have a slight mess. But allow use of cheaper bulk greases. I also use these syringes for bedding stocks I mix the epoxy in the tube insert plunger and use it to apply epoxy into stock.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-19-2016, 11:03 PM
Grease needle - fits on a standard grease gun, Amazon, auto parts stores, use to load whatever grease syringe you use from whatever grease you put in your auto or machine grease gun.

W.R.Buchanan
11-27-2016, 07:39 PM
I do this anytime I have to assemble things for the Navy that have to be glued together with gasket sealer. I use it between parts that are screwed to exterior plates so that salt water can't get under them.

I use Permatex Ultra Black and the tubes come with a Plastic Nozzle that will reach nearly to the bottom of the open Syringe. Cut the end off and start filling from the bottom up trying to get as little air as possible under the plunger.

It is the only way I have found to dispense gooey stuff without making a complete mess of things.

All of my Products like this are in plain view on the bottom of a very prominent Missile Launcher that defends our ships. There's 260 of them out there. My stuff looks really good when done and they actually come back for more. Others stuff looks like they put it on with a spoon!

My doors are the rectangular ones on the bottom of the launch tube, and every part attached to them is glued on with the Gasket Sealer and held in place by screws. I also make the Big Knobs and Latches on the Guide Doors Front and Rear of the Launch Tube. Other stuff I make is internal and you can't see it.

The other pic is a "You shouldn't have messed with me, moment !!!"

Randy

LAGS
11-27-2016, 07:53 PM
I have had luck in the past with a Ziplock Plastic Bag.
Put the grease in the bag and Zip it closed.
Then cut off one of the lower corners to the diameter you need, and use it like a cake decorating bag or a Masons Grout bag.
You can squeese the bag and a small stream comes out the corner and can be folded to fit inside the syringe.
I use a similar method for doing Glass bedding on stocks to place the bedding material in the barrel channel