PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Puma 45 Colt

fa38
11-16-2016, 09:38 AM
There is a Rossi Puma in 45 colt for sale locally. How are the Puma's compared to the current Rossi/Taurus rifles. Feeding problems, accuracy, etc.
Thanks

rintinglen
11-20-2016, 06:50 AM
I had one in .357 back in the early 90's that was a peach. It shot everything I loaded for it just fine, I finally got rid of it, only because it had the large ring lever which did not work well for me. The one I have now, a very late production no-safety gun bought new in 2002 seemed to be a little bit rougher at first. But with a little elbow grease, a thorough disassembly and cleaning it smoothed right up. My brother has a newer model 44 mag with the bolt mounted safety. It shoots well, but is finicky as to ammo length. Too long or too short and it will hang up, but as long as you stay close to the 1.60" mark all is well.

GoodOlBoy
11-20-2016, 07:16 AM
The Rossi Pumas (pre-safety) model 1892 in 45 Long Colt? Well let's see. They are sturdier, more accurate, smoother, and usually have better wood than the newer models. There are exactly THREE "possible" issues with them.

#1 is the rear sight is ****, I'm talking about complete garbage. Fortunately it's less than $20 to put a Marbles Semi-buckhorn rear sight on it and never worry about it again.

#2 the main screw that holds the lever in CAN start backing out. Blue loc-tite is your friend. Never worry about it again.

#3 the magazine follower is plastic. Only plastic part in the gun period. It CAN wear out and cause a feed jam. I was told this when Dad got his, and when I got it from Dad. So far it's had about ten thousand rounds fired through it and the plastic follower is still fine. When it is no longer fine I will purchase a metal Winchester Model 92 44/45 caliber follower and never worry about it again. Then again I don't worry about it now.

It will feed and shoot 250 grain RNFP cast lead, and 255 grain SWC cast lead more accurately than I can shoot even from a sandbag. Seriously the 250grain RNFP is especially accurate in it and more than capable of shooting large ragged hole slightly clover leafed groups at 50 and 75 yards with iron sights if you aren't blind and don't have arthritis (I'm both half blind and have arthritis) It will feed and shoot 270 grain Keith bullets with moderate accuracy (for me this means 2-3 inches at 100 yards standing with iron sights). It will feed and shoot Hornady 300 grain XTP Mags better than most rifles/carbines I have seen.

Oh and one other thing about them. Unlike some more finicky guns I have seen the older Rossi Pumas don't give a flying flip about case length "within' reason". IE I've got some brass that has been reloaded probably twenty or thirty times without trimming and so long as I put a good crimp on the bullet the gun don't care. However Schofield and shorter brass sometimes the rifle gets an "attitude" about loading them when they are loaded with anything other than a RNFP bullet of less than 260 grains, but more than 200 grains.

Personally if I saw one and had the money I would grab it so fast it would make your head spin.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

shoot-n-lead
11-20-2016, 07:40 AM
They are sturdier, more accurate, smoother,

You are dreaming...it ain't so.

Talk about something that you know something about.

GoodOlBoy
11-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah I am talking about something I know about...

That's what that stainless one on the bottom is... Rossi Puma Model 1892 in 45 long colt. Just above it is a OLD (pre-safety) Marlin 336 in 30-30, and at the top is a Ted Williams Model 100 in 30-30 that I have sold TWICE and wound up getting it back both times.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

RobS
11-20-2016, 10:10 AM
The Puma that was brought in by LSI and various other importers were all pretty well made. The newer Braztec, the one I have, are very generous in the chamber area. My LSI 454 Casull Puma Lever is very well made with an appropriate chamber and has a 1:20" barrel.

GoodOlBoy
11-20-2016, 10:22 AM
RobS is that the one they were selling awhile back with the fiber optic sights on it? I liked that one myself, but never could find one when I had money to spend.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

mart
11-20-2016, 05:21 PM
I got my Rossi 92 two years ago and it feeds everything from factory 255's to 285 and 300 grain handloads with no issues at all. The 285 is a SWC and I was shocked it would feed flawlessly. I expected it to hang up. As for accuracy, it's a tack driver. I'm really impressed with the little rifle. I am going to get the video and kit from Steve's Guns and work it over but that's just because I can't leave a stock gun alone.

RobS
11-20-2016, 05:32 PM
RobS is that the one they were selling awhile back with the fiber optic sights on it? I liked that one myself, but never could find one when I had money to spend.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

The Puma LSI 454 didn't have fiber optic sights when it came however I fit one on the front and then put on a Marbles rear sight. Did the same sights for the Rossi-Braztec 45 Colt.

John Boy
11-20-2016, 09:22 PM
There is a Rossi Puma in 45 colt for sale locally.Starters -What's the price?
And if it a good price, buy it
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/chris-dumm/gun-review-rossi-model-92-lever-action-45-colt/
Have three - all made at the Amadeo Rossi facility in Brazil:
* EMF Distributer ... poor wood - great bore - good fit to finish
* Early BrazTech International L.C.... better wood - great bore - better fit to finish
* Current BrazTech International L.C ... best wood - great bore - best fit to finish

blackpowder man
11-20-2016, 11:46 PM
I had a newer 16" stainless in .45 and wish I had kept it. I do still have an old 20" blued .357 and an emf, I think, 24" ocatagon in .44 that I'll never part with. The .45 and .44 are way more accurate than I would have ever expected. I'll get another 16" stainless. That is the handiest little powerhouse of a carbine.

fa38
11-21-2016, 05:29 PM
The rifle was sold before I got back to the club. It was $475.00 and I did not have that much in my pocket when I first saw it.