PDA

View Full Version : Remington made Mosin Nagant rifle. Firing pin protrusion.

Four Fingers of Death
11-16-2016, 07:25 AM
I don't have one of those little tools, but do have a depth gauge on my vernier.

Can anyone advise the min/max lengths please?

Using spam can ammo.

I won't be casting for this one, after I pop off the ammo I will sell it. It is accurate enough and a well engineered rifle for mega cold warfare, but such an awkward bolt, etc. It is completely original and would be better suited to a serious collector.

Thanks.

leebuilder
11-16-2016, 12:15 PM
According to the interweb
.075" min
.095" max
Be safe

Four Fingers of Death
11-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks

leebuilder
11-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Looks a little out to lunch to me. I will measure one of those tool Ivan makes later when I get home.

leebuilder
11-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Just measured 2 of Ivan's gauges, 0.095" max and 0.075" min
Be well

30calflash
11-16-2016, 07:29 PM
You may want to be careful with using spam can ammo in your Rem '91. They were originally made with 308 barrels. A .310 round could cause some issues if the chamber is tight.

Four Fingers of Death
11-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks, I'll slug it.

tomme boy
11-16-2016, 09:11 PM
The throat is soooooo long on these that it does not matter one bit if you run a 311 bullet down the barrel. You actually think the Russians had 308 bullets just for the American made guns?????

Just shoot it and enjoy it.

Ken in Iowa
11-25-2016, 09:19 AM
You may want to be careful with using spam can ammo in your Rem '91. They were originally made with 308 barrels. A .310 round could cause some issues if the chamber is tight.
I believe you are mistaken. These would have been made to Russian spec with a nominal .311" groove diameter.

bouncer50
11-25-2016, 12:30 PM
I believe you are mistaken. These would have been made to Russian spec with a nominal .311" groove diameter. Yes i believe you are correct 310-312 + and - allow. When they made the type I japan rifle in Italy the had Japanese inspecter in the Italy plant. I also believe they had Russian inspector in the US plants. When a lot of money is being spend you want it with your spec.

quail4jake
11-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Pin protrusion .080" works well. I think all were .311"+ groove dia. but I could be wrong. BTW...firing pin protrusion was (as I read it) the only thing that the sons of mother Russia were permitted to adjust on their Mosin Nagant rifles, judging by the scenes of issuing these to new troops in "Enemy at the Gate" they better adjust quick since it would be the last thing they do!

30calflash
11-26-2016, 06:55 PM
I believe you are mistaken. These would have been made to Russian spec with a nominal .311" groove diameter.
I could be but I've read where the Soviet Union made the chamber larger for a bigger diameter bullet with the release of the 91-30 model. .310 from the old .308.

When Finland equipped their forces older rifles were were not rebarreled but the chamber was reamed, basically the neck area, to accommodate the larger diameter neck of the Soviet round.

The older Finnish rifles, M27's, 28's, 91's, etc were then stamped with a letter, a capital D, to show the chamber had been modified by their armorys. Later rifles such as WW2 Finn M91's and 91-30's had the same stamping. The capital D was stamped on the barrel and the stock in many instances.

Many of my Finnish rifles have the D marking, none of the Russian rifles do, including my Remington M91, which is not a Finn capture.

It's not so much the bore diameter, it's the neck clearance you need to be concerned with.

tomme boy
11-27-2016, 02:54 AM
It is not the neck it is the throat that was reamed. The Finns actually did barrel some of their rifles with a 0.300x0.308ish barrel. They reamed the throats for the D-166 bullet. Which is a 0.310" dia. bullet that is still being made today by Lapua.

Ken in Iowa
11-28-2016, 10:29 AM
There is a lot of information and disinformation floating around on Mosin barrels, throats and chambers. Please grab popcorn and a favorite beverage and read the Finnish section at mosinnagant.net http://mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp if you are interested.

Spam can ammo is completely safe in a Remington M91. Just clean properly when you are done.

Four Fingers of Death
11-28-2016, 07:20 PM
A collector pointed out to me that my Remington in original condition has a Finnish proof mark on the LHS of the barrel near the receiver ring.

tomme boy
11-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Then it was a Finn capture gun. They captured A LOT of M91's Most M91's in original style we see are Finn Marked. The Russians turned them into almost every other style of bolt gun they made.

flyin brian
11-29-2016, 12:36 AM
Then it was a Finn capture gun. They captured A LOT of M91's Most M91's in original style we see are Finn Marked. The Russians turned them into almost every other style of bolt gun they made.

I believe it is more accurate to call it a "Finnish property" stamp instead of a capture stamp. After WWI a lot of countries ended up with Russian rifles and the Finns ended up buying and trading to get them for rebuilding and parts to refurbish their Mosins.

The only ones in my collection that I call "captured" are the ones from the late 30's and early 40's that have the "41" stamp on the right side of the chamber, which has been proven to be a mark showing they were captured in the Continuation War.

tomme boy
11-29-2016, 02:19 PM
SOME of the 91/30's had the 41 not all of them were stamped. I have a nice 1938 Isv that does not have the stamp. It has a beautiful pot bellied stock with the wire hangers.

Fourth one down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/tommeboy/guns_002_edited.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tommeboy/media/guns_002_edited.jpg.html)

flyin brian
11-29-2016, 04:13 PM
That's a nice one!! I like the look of the potbelly stocks. It's understandable that the most likely explanation for a 1938 dated Mosin to be in Finland was that it was probably captured... my point was that it is a stretch to call an M91 from 1918 a capture, since they were buying and trading to obtain them.

Here's an example of a 91-30 with the "41" continuation war stamp:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/M9130_TULA_PL/Mosins072.jpg

Here's one from my collection with a WWI German property stamp on the right, and the Tula stock cartouche on the left:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/M91_TULA%20_1900/046_zps1af147b7.jpg

Here's a larger shot... this one doesn't have sling slots on it, and still has the magazine swivel:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/MosinNagant/M91_TULA%20_1900/039_zpsa544cc67.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
11-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Ever hear about the Cossack that did final inspection at the factory. He would randomly select a finished rifle from a rack then load it and set the safety. He would then slam the butt onto a cement floor as hard as possible to try to get the safety to slip off. He broke a large amount of stocks doing, this so the assembly people set a trap. They made up a rack of rifles with light triggers and safeties. `Ivan` as he was called grabbed a rifle and loaded it and set the safety. The factory people cleared away as he slammed it on the floor. The safety slipped and the rifle discharged sending a bullet thru `Ivan`s` tall fur hat and thru the plant roof. It was a few days before he returned to his job, only now he didn`t load nor abuse the rifles anymore. The full story about this incident is in the book `A history of Remington Arms`.Robert

Four Fingers of Death
11-30-2016, 04:33 AM
Apparently the Russian Officers inspecting the Remington contract were mostly noblemen as it was seen as a nice junket. Once there, the brown was starting to hit the fan at home and they were continually trying to slow the process down and were overly strict in their inspections.

Lance Boyle
12-03-2016, 09:55 AM
A lot of the older rifles weren't capture per se by the Finns. They already had them when they broke away from Russia during the early revolution upheaval. They were Russians with Russian equipment before they broke away. My memory is fuzzy but one of the Russian arms plants was in or too damn close to the Finn territory so they moved the arms factory.