PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
11-16-2016, 06:54 AM
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.—Matthew 5:44 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=d617a35c8f&e=3dd732485b)The first statement Jesus made from the cross was, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do" (Luke 23:34 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2)). Maybe we would have understood it more if He had said, "Father, condemn them," or "Father, judge them." But the first thing Jesus said from the cross was a prayer for His enemies: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

Jesus was practicing what He preached. Remember, in the Sermon on the Mount He said, "Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://3)). And Jesus also was fulfilling a Messianic prophesy. Isaiah 53, written hundreds of years before Christ died, said that the Messiah would make intercession for the transgressors. And that is exactly what Jesus was doing. He was interceding for all the people who played a role in His death.

Pilate himself knew Jesus was innocent. He said, "I find no fault in this Man" (Luke 23:4). But because he was so concerned about his career and position, he would not pardon Jesus and let Him go. The religious rulers knew that no legitimate charge could be brought against Christ. Even the Roman centurion at the cross said, "Truly this Man was the Son of God!" (Mark 15:39 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://4)). Judas Iscariot knew he had done wrong, saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood" (Matthew 27:4).

So Jesus was essentially saying, "Father, forgive them. They don't realize how bad this is. Forgive them, because they need forgiveness so desperately. Forgive them, for they have committed a sin that is beyond all comprehension. Forgive them, for they have done something that is beyond bad. Father, forgive them."

When was the last time you prayed for your enemies?

Boaz
11-16-2016, 07:22 AM
Your really hammering forgiveness in the lessons . It's a good deal , forgiveness is a common failing for all . Like any of the ways Christ taught us we have to practice it daily to make it a part of our lives .

Much like praying daily , long ago I prayed when I thought there was a big need . Now I seek out opportunities to pray , when you PRACTICE the teaching it becomes a part of your life without thinking . Forgiveness should be practiced also , he readily forgives us daily .
Thank you rl69 !

buckwheatpaul
11-16-2016, 07:33 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^A+^^^^^^^

Thanks rl69 and Charlie

square butte
11-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Thanks and Amen

GhostHawk
11-16-2016, 09:27 AM
That is a hard one to master. Especially in the here and now.

Get far enough back in the dusty past and the pain is mostly forgotten. Not so hard to forgive then.

But to turn the other cheek to a physical blow?
And then forgive them for it?
That is harder.

Lord I am still just a poor sinner, but I am trying Lord.

Pine Baron
11-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Ghost, I'm really trying too. Sometimes I actually succeed (mostly fail). "forgive us our debts, as we forgive those who debt against us".

Blackwater
11-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Amen to the post and all comments! If I live to be 100, I'm not sure I'll ever learn to fogive some things and some people. I try, but my ire is strong sometimes. I keep working on it, and I AM at least very much better than I used to be. Still got a long way to go, though. Maybe it's good to have goals in life we'll never fully attain? Teaches us humility and character, and makes us realize how badly WE need that same forgiveness, even though we can't ever seem to quite really EARN it. I think there's a lesson in that somewhere? :)