PDA

View Full Version : What is the capacity of the RCBS dipper/ladel with pour spout?

rusty marlin
11-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Its not in their literature.

John Boy
11-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Interesting question - Why Ask?
For single & double cavity molds there is plenty of melt in the ladle
For 6 cavity molds, best to use one of the larger Rowell molds ...http://www.tekcast.com/Bottom-Pour-Ladles_c_65.html

Pipefitter
11-15-2016, 11:48 PM
I know I can cast 4 300gn cores with at least 200gn left over on the sprue with mine.

rusty marlin
11-16-2016, 10:56 AM
I ask, beacuse I dropped and cracked my Anitique Monroe pat. dipper :sad::cry:last weekend, it holds 1 pound of lead, and pressure casts BIG .45-70 boolits with authority.
I was hoping that there would be a modern replacment.
the Lyman olny holds 1.5 oz, not nearly enough to cast 500 grain .45 and have a proper pressure cast.

VHoward
11-16-2016, 11:05 AM
https://rotometals.com/casting-ladle-bottom-pour-rowell-1/
The Rowell #1 has a capacity of 1 pound and is bottom pour.

rusty marlin
11-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I looked at those, but you can't interlock the sprue plate to the pour spout and pressure cast with them. I have something very similar that bottom pours like the Rowell, I guess I just need to test it and see if I really "need" to pressure cast.

John Boy
11-16-2016, 01:25 PM
but you can't interlock the sprue plate to the pour spout and pressure cast with them.
Sure you can ... I put the spout of the Rowell against the sprue hole - tilt the ladel and pressure pour for 5 seconds - splash some melt on the plate - cut and done. Works perfectly with my 540gr Creedmoor mold and melt left over in the ladle!

Chill Wills
11-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Sure you can ... I put the spout of the Rowell against the sprue hole - tilt the ladel and pressure pour for 5 seconds - splash some melt on the plate - cut and done. Works perfectly with my 540gr Creedmoor mold and melt left over in the ladle!

Some people like the Rowell I guess. I did a few pots full years ago and much prefer the RCBS over it, maybe over the Lyman too but the Lyman is fine for me also.

I regularly use the RCBS and its clone, the Rapine dipper. They must be made by the same sub-contractor.

I have never poured a puddle from a full RCBS dipper and weighed it but I can say I have dipper cast using a 4-cavity Lyman 457124 mold. I can get all four cavities poured from one ladle with none to spare but pouring just three cavities makes better bullets and so.... because I need to go back for more metal I just pour two cavities, get more metal and pour the other two.

So, to answer your question, based on being able to pour all four 395gr bullets, it must hold 1600 grains of metal.