PDA

View Full Version : FRB Shipping FYI

jeepyj
11-15-2016, 11:25 AM
All, Hopefully this will help others
Just an observation from recent experiences. Very recently I mailed a box that looked basically identical to a MFRB but didn't say it on it. I went to my regular dude at the local P/O that I have mailed many FRB's out with and he said that will be $28.50. With a very puzzled look I said WTH? His response was that I used the wrong box. At the time i had three boxes on the counter and to me they all looked the same but that one didn't say "Flat Rate Box" and went on to say I must have gotten the box from the wrong bin but if I wanted to switch boxes it could go as a flat rate. So i switched it out and lessen learned. Now thinking back on recent purchases I believe this is happening on a regular basis because I've received two parcels recently with inflated shipping rates on boxes that should have gone flat rate.
All i'm saying watch out because they'll ding almost double you in a flash if your not careful.
Jeepyj

Ithaca Gunner
11-15-2016, 12:30 PM
I noticed that a while back, and I think they charge you for the other box's as well.

RogerDat
11-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Saw a guy picking out a box at PO and was shipping very light weight item so they directed him to use the "other" box since on weight and distance it was cheaper. Bins for that box in same kiosk and looked almost identical. Took him 2 tries to get the one the non-FRB.

jrdztech
11-15-2016, 12:40 PM
I have done that a couple of times, lucky the lady on the counter caught the mistake the last time and pointed out to me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

toallmy
11-15-2016, 01:59 PM
I have made that mistake a couple times ,

tomme boy
11-15-2016, 02:23 PM
They have been available for a long time. I use the regional boxes all the time. For me they are cheaper than the flat rate boxes as they are a in between size of the FRB's. The B box is smaller than the med box but not by much and is between 7-9$ to ship most times.

jeepyj
11-16-2016, 06:52 AM
The clerk did say for light parcels the other method could end up less costly. However because of some packages that I've recieved recently I thought I would help some fellow members save money by asking a few questions.

William Yanda
11-16-2016, 10:27 AM
The Regional boxes, A and B in their various configurations can save over small and medium flat rate boxes. They are free, but I don't find them in the local PO's. I have to order them-they are free- but they come in 10 or 25 packs which can be ordered online. The problem here is SWMBO considers them clutter. One recent example I shipped a MFRB and could have saved a couple of bucks shipping 3# to Montana with the equivalent Regional box-if I had had it. I ordered today so I will have one next time. When I ordered I also ordered a roll of the "Warning-Heavy" labels. I probably won't need 1K, but that's how they come.

44man
11-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Had my own box, 15# and they wanted $40 to ship. Bulky so would take 2 FRB's, still $37.50.
I have bought stuff from China and England off Ebay, free shipping or very cheap shipping.
USPS will eat you up. Most times shipping will be double what is in the box.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-18-2016, 04:06 PM
I really like the USPS padded flat rate envelopes.
Generally they aren't available from the local PO, so they need to be ordered from the USPS website for free.

A couple years ago, I received at order of these envelopes and proceeded to use one to ship an item, I bring it to the PO, they say, the ship fee is $19 :shock: I was shocked !
They said the envelope was a "Express" envelope, not the "priority" flat rate ($7)

Ya gotta be watchful.
I suspect I ordered the wrong ones by accident :(