PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy style 45LC in SA/DA???

cpileri
11-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Trying to become familiar w all the options and I am left w a question: are there any 45 Long Colt revolvers w classic "cowboy" style grips, like the kind seen on single action only revolvers, but in dual Single-/Double-Action revolvers?
In any caliber?

Many thanks,
C-

i.e. this kind of grip (pic)180749

Blackwater
11-15-2016, 01:20 PM
To my knowledge, not in .45 LC. In .22, there's the old High Standards, but they're seldom seen these days. And their DA trigger pulls were never really great anyway. Since the "cowboy" guns tend to slide down in the hands when shot, why do you think you need a DA anyway? SA has been working so well for so long, that if DA was a real advantage, you KNOW someone would have brought one out. They haven't.

I know it seems like a great idea, and combination of traits, but that age-old K.I.S.S. principle keeps rearing its ugly head, and throwing cold water on our great ideas. Don't ask how I learned that one! It'd be embarassing for me to have to tell on myself!

cpileri
11-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Well, I sure see your points.
Why do I think I want that feature? versatility: option to choose between the two modes if desired. single, precision shots in SA, with option for quick single hand follow ups in DA if... just because.
I really like the grip style, so I was looking for a revolver action that is more what I am accustomed to but with the cowboy grip.
If such an animal exists.
C-

Harter66
11-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Have you tried on an older N frame S&W ?
I think most of the double actions were less Army shaped .

I'm considering 1 I've seen a number of times on a show table that has had some misfortune in its history just for such a thing .

Your not the first guy to want for a double action 45 Colts . I even considered a Taurus Raging bull , the cost was always a deal breaker.....

Tackleberry41
11-15-2016, 04:56 PM
They do make DA 45 colt, just not in the classic SA army style. If you look at a SA frame vs DA, it would be difficult to fit DA works in a SA frame. In a DA, most of the mechanism is behind the cyl above your hand. Vs just the few parts required for a SA trigger that can fit in a small space.

cpileri
11-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Ill look around for an older N frame S&W, and see if it is a profile I like.

tackleberry, your explanation makes a world of sense: not available because of simple mechanics.

sghart3578
11-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Colt New Service?

opos
11-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Make certain you know the limitations of old 45Colts...Been some cases of reloaders "loading up" or trying to shoot some of the really hot factory stuff with not such good results....

Pine Baron
11-16-2016, 04:33 PM
That's a heartbreaker right there, opos

pietro
11-16-2016, 05:23 PM
with option for quick single hand follow ups in DA if... just because.

FWIW:

A single-action revolver can be shot empty faster than an autoloader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgav7mNzIYo

A double-action revolver can be shot empty fast, but slower than a SA revolver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

I would choose a SA .45 Colt over a DA in a NY Minute, if I prefer the SA grip (actually, I own/shoot both types)

ole 5 hole group
11-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Well, with the bottom feeder, one does have the option of "bump-fire" and that's pretty fast.;)

OS OK
11-16-2016, 09:01 PM
That's a new one on me...'bump fire a .45C'...poor old Gabby Hayse shoulda known this, he had to fan-em! :bigsmyl2:

Bigslug
11-16-2016, 11:24 PM
You can see a DA Peacemaker animated in the opening credits of Westworld (is that bugging the poo out of anyone else, or is it just me?)

Here's what I've recently started rolling with:

Ruger went to a round butt on the Redhawk for this 4.2" .45C / .45ACP on moon clips version.

A big part of the SA grip style is to have the muzzle rise to facilitate re-cocking on the way back down. I tend to think that would be more of a liability than an asset in a DA platform.

Tackleberry41
11-17-2016, 01:40 PM

If you compare the 2, one can see why its not possible to have a classic SA gun in DA. Your grip is shifted to the rear to make room for the DA parts. Cocking the hammer for SA is more of a secondary concern in a DA gun, the way it fits in your hand is designed around DA. And while it would be nice to have a swing out cylinder in a SA army, theres simply no place to put the latch mechanism. I always wondered why colt didnt use the cyl set up from the 1858 models where you could quickly swap out an extra loaded cylinder. Yea a loading gate is way faster than muzzle loading, but you can reload a Rem 1858 pretty quick with a spare cyl.