PDA

View Full Version : First deer with a cast boolit

Prodigal Son
11-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Shot this nice buck opening day with my Westernfield rebored by JES Reboring in his 405 JESS! The 300 gr boolit performed perfectly entering just ahead of the left ham and exiting through the last rib on the right @ 60 yards through the trees! Thanks Jesse this rifle drives tacks! Running about 1800 fps plus he stumbled about 20 yards before falling down! 180709

richhodg66
11-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Nice buck and interesting rifle. Seem to be a lot of guys on here killing good bucks with vintage Marlins lately.

CastingFool
11-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Congrats on your first CB buck, Prodigal Son. My firearm deer season starts tomorrow and hoping I can get my first CB deer.

shoot-n-lead
11-14-2016, 10:34 PM
What kind of shot was that?

Modified "Texas Heart Shot" ?

Prodigal Son
11-14-2016, 10:38 PM
It's easy to hit a Texas bullseye (*****) they're all so big! He was turning to walk away!

35 shooter
11-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Congrats on your first with cast. Nice rifle , caliber, and buck.

Treetop
11-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Congratulations, Prodigal Son! If you weren't already addicted to cast boolits, you may be now. I have been since I killed my first buck with a boolit many years ago!

That's good looking rifle and buck, also. Semper Fi, Treetop

Prodigal Son
11-15-2016, 09:11 AM
I see some have started their own thread about my shot! The PC police have got on this forum too! I have passed many shots if I thought I would wound a deer! Taking a shot you might not take is not unethical, how many ethnical shot do some take and their marksmanship sucks so bad that's unethical! I fortunately came make a shot most won't take! I shot my deer right where I wanted and died within 10 yards! How many deer with a good heart shot run a hundred yards? Hunter as a group are small having people knit picking someone's shot devide us up, small groups are easy to conquer! Go be PC somewhere else!

Ballistics in Scotland
11-15-2016, 10:11 AM
I think most can make a shot most won't take... most of the time. But the nearest thing I can find to a shot that might have provoked someone's indignation, is a quartering shot at short range with a heavy-calibre cast bullet. That is a shot very reasonably considered unsuitable for a very high velocity tiny bullet, but reasonable enough for what was used. Maybe someone mistook "exiting through the last rib" for what would be the first rib to the approaching bullet.

MT Gianni
11-15-2016, 10:12 AM
In dense timber that is a real stopper of a shot. Elmer Keith wrote about breaking a big bull elk down by shooting them in the hip then getting a finishing shot. One has to ask if they can put an animal down right there or not if you are in thick downfall.

jmort
11-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Have only heard good things about the .405 Jess. Nice job on that buck. Good for you.

runfiverun
11-15-2016, 11:42 AM
judging form the picture I'm gonna say you used enough gun and had enough shot placement to eat the results.
raking shots into the vital area of the chest cavity are usually as quickly as fatal as a broadside double lung, shot plus you usually get the liver and they actually bleed out faster.

Friends call me Pac
11-15-2016, 02:16 PM
1 shot. Vitals hit. Dead deer. No tracking. Great job & congratulations.

Prodigal Son
11-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Growing up poor and feeding the family we weren't afforded the luxury of being pickie though we always wanted to observe the compassion for the game will killed! Reminds me of a debate my late friend Hoser was having with a bleeding heart libtards over the death penalty! He asked would you feel better if we pushed this murder out a window! She left! I always try to kill the fastest way possible, you know like all great Marines! Semper Fi!

ammohead
11-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Nice deer, good choice in the rebore in a classic rifle. I have no problems with the shot taken or the results. Them that do can go shat in their hat.

Prodigal Son
11-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Thanks ammohead

OnHoPr
11-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Obviously, enough weaponry to do the job in the woods scenarios in which the gun and caliber were designed for, congrats on the backstraps & horns.