PDA

View Full Version : Question on powder coat sizing and lee production pot

Rp-
11-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Well i think i have my setup figured out. I ran my 3rd test batch yesterday (after watching more of fortunecookies videos and reading on here) and i got consistent bullets. I was planning to size my bullets to .357. If im powder coating should i go .356? Or just go .357? Bore is 3555 at muzzle.

Also, i got 2 pots. One is nee in box. One is well used. I have been working with just the used one trying to figure out cast temp setting, mold pouring, timing, and all that jazz. My problem with it is leaking. It constantly drips. Yesterday i put a full size vice grip on the valve pin where it connects to the operating lever because it just keeps falling out of the groove. The extra weight helped but slowed down the pour. Is there a better way to get it to stop leaking? The valve pin is rusted and pitted pretty bad but the bottom 1.5-2 inches is fine. If tried spinning it against the seat to see if that would stop it but it didn't.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

CraigOK
11-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Nothing to contribute, but I am curious if fortunecookie is a member here?

eta- Sorry I should have mentioned that I know who you're talking about and have watched a ton of his videos and I was just wondering the other day if he's a member here.

Rp-
11-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Youtube. Fortunecookie45LC. Full of knowledge. Lee even links to him from their site

DerekP Houston
11-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Lee's drip...not much getting around that fact, good luck with that portion.

I always size after powdercoating, it is very durable and holds up quite well.

Rp-
11-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Come to think of it, i wouldnt doubt fortunecookie is on here as well with all the casting he does.

As for sizing, i was going to size anyways. The question was should i size to 356 or 357. I have learned its usually better to go .002 over rather than .001 with lead.is PC the same rule?

flyingmonkey35
11-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Fourtunecooki45. Is not. Member under that name but he dose read and reference this forum a lot.

RogerDat
11-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Size post powder coating, and size to whatever is appropriate to your fire arm. Because you size after PC the PC doesn't make any difference to what you should size. The coating and lead will all end up sized to whatever sizer die you run it through.

My own feeling is an extra .001 is better than coming up with too small a diameter for good fit. You don't specify caliber - guessing 9mm?

You can pick up a .001 from the powder coating if applied after sizing if you have a bore that needs a touch more diameter. I use Lee case lube to size the bullets when taking that approach because I can wash it totally off with just hot water with the tiniest touch of dish soap in it, then rinse. Hard to push bullets through sizer with no lube. PC acts as lube if sized post PC, done before PC is when I use the Lee case lube. Example 8mm mauser with slightly worn bore that is better with the PC added to the size or if I need to apply gas check before powder coating the Lee case lube works well.

Rp-
11-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Yes, 9mm. My pistol didnt seem to like the lead loads i had. Tried fast and slow but got leading and accuracy problems. I had sized to .356, assuming my barrel was .355.

Hoping PC will help

Bzcraig
11-15-2016, 01:33 AM
Can't suggest what to size to until you slug the bore and measure the groove diameter, then size .001-.002 over groove diameter. If you are saying your groove diameter is .3555 then size .357. For the Lee pot, take the valve assembly apart, clean the pot and nozzle real good. Lots of guys use sawdust to flux with which can get junk in the nozzle so it may take some doing to get it clean. Then get some lapping compound and using a drill lap the valve in pretty good, should take care of the leaking. Then only use wax to flux with.

Rp-
11-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Grooves are at .3555. Already lapped lightly. I dont use flux in the pot. I melted my lead and fluxed before casting ingots. I havent really needed much in the way of flux for it yet as i havent run it for more than 20 minutes and most of it was heat up.

I guess what im really trying to do is trying to use the old pot before i open the new one. Im obviously cheap or i wouldn't be casting, so if i can save that new pot until i absolutely need it then i might as well.

Walter Laich
11-15-2016, 10:33 AM
some put a weight on the handle of the Lee pots. Added weight helps close the valve fully