PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45 colt and Mtn Mold boolits

45r
06-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Got to shoot some of my Mtn Mold boolits in my Marlin 45CB yesterday and I'm thinking these groups aren't too bad for a hot windy day.Been shooting at 55 yards since it's been so windy.The botton groups on the right are my plinking loads with the PB boolits and the left and top are for accuracy and hunting with my 315GC boolits.I had to aim at the bottom circles for the top row since they are a lot faster than the bottom loads.The top left looks like it would be a good hunting load,it is fast and the recoil wasn't to bad to me.I'm guessing it going around 1750 fps out of my 24 inch barrel,kinda like a 45-70 load.Can't complain about the 2400 and 4227 loads either.Is this good enough or should I keep looking for a better load for my 45 colt levergun.

Nrut
06-15-2008, 02:01 AM
45r
I like that 4227 load myself.. what kind of primers are you using with that load and what is your alloy?...what you have is a 45-70 ShortMag...:mrgreen:

Bass Ackward
06-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Is this good enough or should I keep looking for a better load for my 45 colt levergun.

45r,

This is a trick question right?

There are three, acceptable and understandable states with cast booliteers.

1. Continued experimentation striving for improvement.
2. Pausing from the search for improvement to hunt, plink, compete with an acceptable load.
3. Temporary storage whilst you work on another gun who's accuracy demands your attention more.

Let's be totally and brutally honest here. If you have to hunt chip monks or mice, you are bordering on losing shot placement beyond 40 yards. Shot placement is always critical with these low velocity, light weight bullet, loads.

Gotta tighten that up. :grin:

crabo
06-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Which 4227 powder are you using, IMR or Hodgen? Those look pretty good, but I want to see what they do at 100. I am wanting to try some 4227 in my 357.

What kind of sights are you using for your testing? I am going to put a scope on mine for my load workup.

Bass has a way of summing it up pretty well, doesn't he?

Crabo

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2008, 09:18 AM
if there 25 yard groups id keep looking but if there 100 yard groups id be jumping up an down.