PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lubes Again!

Marlin Junky
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Has anyone experimented with combining one of the 50/50 lubes with Carnauba to firm it up a bit and raise the melting point?

MJ

DLCTEX
06-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I am currently using a batch of 50/50 with 20% carnuba added,plus a dash of candle dye to color it for identity. It works ok in warm weather in the lubrasizer, but needs a little warming with a blow drier in cold weather. Some firmer and a little less sticky than the plain. DALE

lead_her_fly
06-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I use 50/50 but it is far different from what most folks call 50/50! Mine is 50% White Label Liquid Xlox with 50% Beeswax. It is softer than most lubes but it leaves the bore shiny and without lead. Plus, when I bought the 5 quarts I needed to find something to do with all of that stuff! :D

Really, I have used it up to 1800fps on an H&G #503 in a Handi-Rifle with no leading, period. I have used it on an H&G 290BB in a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Special in 357mag cases to 1600fps with the same results. No smoke to speak of and have even had some end up on targets out to 20yrds.

I like it anyway!

Johnch
06-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I have been using 2 parts of my 50/50 and 1 part of Lar's Carnauba Red lube

When it is warm outside , it will work with out added heat
But I have been sizing in 80 + temps

But I suspect it will defently be way to firm if you size in a unheated gardge come Jan.

Or even when maybe when the temps drop into the 60's

If the further test confirm what I have found out so far
It might just become my only lube I use for CF rifles

John

runfiverun
06-14-2008, 11:33 PM
that is what b-a-c lube is b-wax,alox,carnuba.
about a teaspoon full of carnuba to a 50/50 lb mix.

Down South
06-15-2008, 09:24 AM
that is what b-a-c lube is b-wax,alox,carnuba.
about a teaspoon full of carnuba to a 50/50 lb mix.
I will be mixing up some of this in the near future but I like Lead_Her_Fly only have the white label Xlox. I'm not sure how it will work but I'm gonna give it a try. I pan lube and I'm hoping the Carnuba wax will harden the mixture just a little more than regular 50/50.

Dale, where do you get your candle dye from?

GabbyM
06-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I"m confused on what flavor of Carnauba wax you all are referring to.
Reading through other threads I've heard powdered then Johnson's Paste Wax and reference to liquid.
I've a bottle of Mothers “pure carnauba wax” automobile polish here but don't think this is what I'm looking for to thicken 50/50.
Read through the entire Felix lube thread last night. My puter screen started turning 3D.
Candle die I'll assume is available at hobby stores.
It's looking like White Lables Xlox 350 and bees wax at 50/50 ratio with 20% of carnauba wax added.

Down South
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I have the pure stuff in flake form.

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I use the pure flake form of Carnuba wax, but if you guys want a really great bullet lube, forget this 50/50 stuff. Start looking at synthetic lubes and greases, much less smoke and a higher burn temp.

I make my own from scratch, but the formula is owned by the Somerton Bullet Company, makers of Becky's Bad Ass Bullets.

Jerry

leftiye
06-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm going to take all of that Lee mule snot I got free with my sizers (free?) and pour it in a pan , cover it with screen wire to keep the black spots out, and set it out in the sun. It's supposed to end up about as hard as beeswax (it's alox 606-55 and is 45% mineral spirits). Then I'm gonna mix it half and half with synthetic moly grease (if I can find some), and add 1 Tbsb per lb. of carnauba wax. Will let you know if/how it works, and about consistency.

Ricochet
06-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax has only a bit of carnauba in it. The solid part of it is mostly paraffin (probably microcrystalline), and as it ships in the can it's close to 80% mineral spirits.

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Johnsons Paste wax is great to put a shine on furniture but not good for bullet lube.

As for Beeswax base lubes, try 2 pounds of Beeswax, 8 oz of Carnuba wax, and then about 2 oz of the Moly Grease.

Jerry

GabbyM
06-15-2008, 01:50 PM
OK: So someplace like this online shop that was linked in the Felix lube thread.
$7.15 per lb doesn't sound to bad. For carnauba wax flakes.
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

wiljen
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Johnsons Paste wax is great to put a shine on furniture but not good for bullet lube.
Jerry

Several of us here would beg to differ with you on that point. JPW used as a dip lube works well. Do a search on it for posted results.

Down South
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Wouldn't 50/50 (Store bought) Alox/beeswax contain mineral spirits too? There has to be something added to make it soft.

utk
06-15-2008, 03:33 PM
There are several flavors of "Alox". There is Alox 350 and Alox 606-55 for example. Totally different products.
Alox is a trade name owned by Lubrizol.

Alox 350 + Beeswax makes up a soft lube suitable for lubesizers.
Alox 606-55 is the trade name for LEE Liquid Alox and it consists of 55% Alox 606 and 45% Mineral spirits.

MT Gianni
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm going to take all of that Lee mule snot I got free with my sizers (free?) and pour it in a pan , cover it with screen wire to keep the black spots out, and set it out in the sun. It's supposed to end up about as hard as beeswax (it's alox 606-55 and is 45% mineral spirits). Then I'm gonna mix it half and half with synthetic moly grease (if I can find some), and add 1 Tbsb per lb. of carnauba wax. Will let you know if/how it works, and about consistency.

Remember that Lar45's white label lube is only $1.60 a stick if it gets too frustrating.

Marlin Junky
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I think the 50/50 lube I was referring to in post #1 uses Alox 2138F (It's pretty darn soft lube). I'll double check tonight. I think I have 5 hollow sticks remaining and whatever is in the Lyman 450. I'm trying to decide how much T3-Carnauba (flakes) to use with the whole lot of the 50/50.

MJ

dromia
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd buy some of Lars Carnauba Red and cut the 50/50 with that.

Boolit lube making used to be another hobby for me 'till I started using Lars white Label Lubes.

The price is so right and if you must make your own 50/50 then his Xlox 350 (doesn't infringe the Alox TM) is the bees knees for mixing with bees wax.

His LA is half the price of Lee's LA and appears to be the same stuff.

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I have never had any real luck with JPW as a lube, but I don't normally TL my bullets. I am trying out Ranch Dogs methods at the moment with the Alox from Lee, so far that has good results.

Anything with Paraffin in it, I have avoided, it gets messy when it is warm to hot outside, unless you are mix the paraffin with some thing like Carnuba wax. But then you should jump to a Beeswax/Carnuba formula, you will get some great results, if you formulate it right.

But if you choice to TL your bullets get some fine Mica, Midway sells it, and after you TL your bullets use a little Mica and it will give them a dry feel and you may not have the lube melt away from the boolit. I am still experimenting with that idea.

If you don't want to go thru the mess of designing your own lube, there are many good brands our there, some are made by the small guys who are shooters and some are made by big companies. Here are a couple of decent suppiers:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=1343&forum_id=51

I use a Star Sizer, a RCBS Lube A Matic and recently have started to use the Lee Sizers. Each has it's place and meets some needs for my bullet making. So I have liquid lubes, hollow stick and solid stick always on hand.

This all depends on how involved you want to get.

Jerry

utk
06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't forget Bullshop's lube:

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, the Bullshop is a good source for lubes also.

I may actually have to break down and buy some lubes for my RCBS sizer, then I can judge where things have progressed in recent times.

Here are some formulas for bullet lubes:

1)
40% beeswax
40% ATF
10% STP
10% Sodium Stearate

2)
8oz of melted beeswax
4oz of Safflower Oil (yeah, the cooking kind)
2oz of Hoppes Elite Gun Oil (not bore cleaner)

3)
1 block (3"x3"x1") bees wax
1 tablespoon lanolin
2 tablespoons Lee Liquid Alox
2 oz Copha (solidified coconut oil)

4)
"NRA 50/50"
50 % Beeswax
50 % Alox 350 (Originally Alox 2138F, now discontinued)

5)
Claimed to be the old SAECO lube:
2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment

6)
Old NRA lube formula:
1 part Beeswax
1 part Paraffin
1 part Vaseline

7)
California Saeco Green:
2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment

8)
Felix Lube formula
2 Tablespoons mineral oil
1 Tablespoon castor oil
1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
1 Tablespoon Lanolin
Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

9)
1/3 Beeswax, 1/3 parafin wax. and 1/3 mineral oil

I think I have a few more some where around, but I have tried many of these and they all work to various degrees. Some people swear by them and other swear at them.

I worked out my own bullet lube and it works for me, now Becky makes batches of it for use in her bullet production.

Jerry

mtgrs737
06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
My lube formula:

One Check made out to Lar's Stuff
One evelope addressed to Lar
One 1st class postage stamp

In about two weeks or less Bullet Lube!!!

miestro_jerry
06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
mtgrs737,

You have the best formula for the person who doesn't have the resources to make their own.

Jerry

RP
06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
why is lube so hard to figure out you can buy it from major manufactors you can buy it from small backyard shops or make it at home Why is it that everthing made by someone else has to be modified or tweaked. I just want to lube my boolits cheap and easy as i can as long as they work ok and I just want one lube for my sizer and one lube for tumble boolits. I shoot mostly pistol and thinking of using Carnauba Red and Xlox for my tumbles. I have a heater on my sizer and like a hard lube also like bright colors Is this the wrong way to look at it???