PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Pistol 9mm Model

Leadmelter
11-13-2016, 09:10 PM
I am looking at this Ruger. My other 9MM is a S&W Model 39 which I purchased in the 1970"s.
I have read some reviews that said it is a robust pistol and can take a beating.
Any comments? Not looking for a carry piece.
Now on sale in these parts for $449.99
Leadmelter
MI

contender1
11-13-2016, 09:52 PM
I own one of them in the "First Production Run." I haven't shot mine,, but I did get to try out a friends shooter. Robust is a good way to describe it. I gave a bit more than that for mine.

jmort
11-13-2016, 09:57 PM
I have one. I like it. Will probably get the compact version.

Lefty Red
11-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Buddy's father got one. Have shot it and everyone likes it. Really an improvement over the SR9.
Don't like the fact it takes a different mag than the SR9, since I had a few from the SR I had.

Im with jmort, would get a compact model if priced right. And want one in 40!

FergusonTO35
11-15-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm sure it is a very nice gun. Biggest thing that worries me, is how Ruger is constantly changing their gun designs. The SR series has barely been with us a decade and now it appears to be headed for obsolescence. The last P series guns were only made around three years ago and Ruger is already running out of parts for them. Unlike Glock or even the M&P and XD there is little aftermarket support for these guns, meaning Ruger is the only source for most parts and repairs.

Mytmousemalibu
11-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Id like to put a mag or two through one to feel it out, looks good. I did hear some reviewers complain about the beaver tail area grinding on their knuckles so might see if you can rent one at a range before you plunk down the bucks.

jmort
11-15-2016, 02:16 PM
"I did hear some reviewers complain about the beaver tail area grinding on their knuckles so might see if you can rent one at a range before you plunk down the bucks."

I have seen a couple videos where the lower thumb knuckle area gets abraded. I have not had that problem, but some will.

Mytmousemalibu
11-16-2016, 04:29 AM
"I did hear some reviewers complain about the beaver tail area grinding on their knuckles so might see if you can rent one at a range before you plunk down the bucks."

I have seen a couple videos where the lower thumb knuckle area gets abraded. I have not had that problem, but some will.

I have a TP9SF now and the new TP9SF Elite ordered. It looks much like the Ruger in the beaver tail area and it's fine, I actually love the gun, great shooter and great gun for the money. It doesn't beat my thumb knuckles and I get a high bite on my guns with a very firm grip so i'm game to try the American. I'll never turn down the chance to fire something new to me. Course it's an affliction too. I shot a fellow competitors CZ SP-01 Shadow, custom shop gun... Now I have a burning desire for the new Shadow 2!