PDA

View Full Version : I found out something interesting about S&W I-frames vs J-frames....

Harry O
11-13-2016, 06:29 PM
I bought my wife a S&W 22/32 Heavy Frame Target revolver (aka Bekeart model) from the mid-1920's a couple of weeks ago. That is an I-frame in round-butt, not the now common J-frame handgun. The original grips were in fairly poor condition. I checked all over the internet and found that real replacements are real collectors items. I also found out that there are no replica target grips available for it (there are a couple that will fit, but they are small grips, not the oversized target ones).

I looked around the basement and found every J-frame grip I had. I was not using the Pachmayr Professional Gripper Grips so I tried them on it. I thought that, at the very least, I would have to redrill the locator pins from the frame to the grips. Surprisingly enough, I did not have to. The grips fit perfectly, even the pins. The screw also does not interfere with the different spring in the I-frame. I had my wife try out other J-frame grips I have on other guns (Herrett's Shooting Star, Herrett's Shooting Ace, Hogue mono-grips). She seems to prefer the Pachmayr so far. The Shooting Ace is in second place. I am on the lookout for that one.

Anyway, I have read that the grip for the J-frame was lengthened 3/8" from the I-frame, but it must have been entirely below the locating pin. It does not appear to me that they moved the pins. Therefore, most, if not all J-frame RB grips should fit the I-frame.

BTW, she loves the gun. She now loves it as much as the S&W Model 43 that was her favorite before this one.

Scharfschuetze
11-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the write up. That was an interesting discovery.

Guesser
11-13-2016, 10:10 PM
I have "I" frame and "Improved I" frame Smiff's but mine are square butt. The "Improved I" frame is almost identical to the "J" frame that replaced it. Mine all have really nice OEM grips so I have never tried any others on them. Thank you, good info, if I ever.

Green Frog
11-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Harry O, you need to spend a little more time on the S&W Forum, 1892-1961 for all kinds of good info about the I-frame Smiths. A frequent contributor there, Hondo44, has explained all of this in great detail, and is so knowledgeable about them that he was called on to write a special insert for the newly published Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th edition. My personal favorite grips for my 22/32 is the Regulation Police style, which are not reproduced, the current J-frame target grips, which completely enclose the I-type grip frame, and the old Mustang smooth combat grips that haven't been made for years. If you want the long, 2 screw target grips, there are some repros available, but they are made of some sort of synthetic epoxy stuff instead of wood. Yep, I've owned about a half dozen or so of the I-frames, so I've examined my options thoroughly! :coffee:

Froggie

Guesser
11-14-2016, 10:57 AM
My 1920's Regulation Police 38 has the stepped back strap grip frame; does the newer "J" frame after market grips cover that as well?

Harry O
11-14-2016, 11:29 AM
My 1920's Regulation Police 38 has the stepped back strap grip frame; does the newer "J" frame after market grips cover that as well?

I guess I don't know what the "stepped back strap grip frame" is so I cannot give you an answer. The Pachmayr grips I am using cover both the front and rear of the steel frame, so the shorter grip frame does not show. With the upper part being identical and the pins being in the same place, the grips are not loose on the frame. Having exposed front or rear frame grips would show the shorter frame on the I-frame.

Guesser
11-14-2016, 11:36 PM
4 pics of a 1920's S&W Regulation Police 38 S&W "I" frame. You can see the "stepped" grip frame back strap.

Multigunner
11-14-2016, 11:55 PM
I found a site with replica I frame grips awhile back.
I have an I frame 1920's manufacture .32 Hand Ejector with 4" plus barrel that has good condition original factory grips that are probably hard rubber or something of the sort.

I didn't think of it at the time but I can probably find that site again, if I do I'll post a link.
IIRC these were the larger flat bottom grips though made for the rounded frame.
There's no step on my backstrap.

I also found that S&W Chief aftermarket wrap around grips fit my Hand Ejector, but this sort of grip is needlessly bulky on such a small revolver.

FergusonTO35
11-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Those I frames are just sweet. An ancient example with 3" barrel and peeling nickel in .32 S&W Long was the first handgun I ever fired.

Harry O
11-15-2016, 10:13 PM
4 pics of a 1920's S&W Regulation Police 38 S&W "I" frame. You can see the "stepped" grip frame back strap.

The pictures look like the original width of the backstrap for the I-frame was thinned towards the bottom (from comparing the look of the backstrap on mine vs what you show). This undoubtedly so that the round-to-square butt wood grips would have more strength at their weakest point. Not a bad idea. It would seem to me like the stepped frame would fit in J-frame grips that completely cover the backstrap. Some extra slop near the bottom rear, but the pins would take care of that.

Guesser
11-15-2016, 11:08 PM
I seem to remember that only the Regulation Police 38 had the "stepped" back strap. The gun in the pic is a middle 1920's vintage.

dsbock
11-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Here's my S&W Model 1896 (First Model) wearing J-Frame grips. Notice the overhang at the bottom.

I would like to find a pair of repro hard rubber grips.

pietro
11-16-2016, 04:08 AM
Here's my S&W Model 1896 (First Model) wearing J-Frame grips. Notice the overhang at the bottom.

Since the J-frame grips are not particularly collectible, I'd just rasp the overhang away & refinish the work area.

AFAIK, Vintage Grips used to offer repro grips, but their website isn't loading, so they may have closed their doors.

murf205
11-17-2016, 09:32 AM
180859HarryO, those I frames are a must have item for a wheel gun lover and especially a wife or youngster with a small hand. I found my 32 at a gun show and the guy had just set it on the table when I stopped by and gave this little orphan a warm, safe home for life(mine, anyway).

FergusonTO35
11-18-2016, 11:06 AM
An I frame with modern steel in .32 H&R would be a must buy for me!

Green Frog
11-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Guesser,

Any of the J-frame grips that surround the grip frame completely will cover up the "step" so you never know it's there. I put a couple of different sets on some of my old I-frames from time to time. The modern factory "Target" grips from the Model 34 do especially well.

Froggie

dsbock
11-21-2016, 12:40 AM
Since the J-frame grips are not particularly collectible, I'd just rasp the overhang away & refinish the work area.

AFAIK, Vintage Grips used to offer repro grips, but their website isn't loading, so they may have closed their doors.

I'm hoping to get some repro hard rubber grips. If that doesn't pan out, my fallback plan is to trim the grips to fit.

David

Green Frog
11-21-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm hoping to get some repro hard rubber grips. If that doesn't pan out, my fallback plan is to trim the grips to fit.

David

David,

The repro grips from NC Ordnance are made of a modern substitute for the hard rubber that was commonly used "back in the day." It is a sort of epoxy type material that casts well and is probably more durable than the original rubber.

Froggie

dsbock
11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
David,

The repro grips from NC Ordnance are made of a modern substitute for the hard rubber that was commonly used "back in the day." It is a sort of epoxy type material that casts well and is probably more durable than the original rubber.

Froggie

Green Frog,

Yeah, I've been looking at their website. I'm just not sure which of the black "rubber" grips are appropriate for my pistol.

I was thinking maybe these (http://gungrip.com/smith-and-wesson-32-and-38-target-grips.aspx).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

David

Green Frog
11-22-2016, 11:40 AM
David, they should fit with no alteration. If anything, you may have to shave them down in the heel area since your gun's grip frame doesn't have the rebate seen on both the later target models and the Regulation Police models (see Post #7 from Guesser.) I personally like the Regulation Police grips better, but unfortunately they don't seem to be available in reproduction. :(

Froggie

Guesser
11-22-2016, 11:16 PM
That "step" or rebate in the back strap was removed when they introduced the "Improved I" frame. I have a Regulation Police 38 from 1953 that is the Improved I frame. Later became the Model 33 and then as the "J" frame became the 33-1.

dsbock
11-23-2016, 03:10 PM
David, they should fit with no alteration. If anything, you may have to shave them down in the heel area since your gun's grip frame doesn't have the rebate seen on both the later target models and the Regulation Police models (see Post #7 from Guesser.) I personally like the Regulation Police grips better, but unfortunately they don't seem to be available in reproduction. :(

Froggie

I ordered a set of grips. I'll post a new picture when they arrive and are fitted.

Thanks.

David