PDA

View Full Version : 22 lr coal

bigted
11-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Been having a hard time getting my Ruger 45/22 feeding reliable. Noticed that the Federal American Eagle rounds fed the best .
. So I measured a few of the shell's I have on hand.

.957 for Rem yellow jackets
.956 for Rem vipers
.960 for CCI minni mag hollow point
Then the shell's that function almost perfectly
.981 for Fed American Eagle

So looking closer I see the others jam rite into the feed ramp directly on the middle of the center of the bullet. The eagles go rite up the ramp with no problems. Because the bullet starts up the ramp because of the length of the overall cartridge length.

Is this just my pistol or do you also have this trouble?

GhostHawk
11-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Well I pretty much feed my wife's and my Mk III 22/45's with a steady diet of Federal Champion Auto target.

I have not measured my .22lrs, seems to work fine with some armscor ammo, and winchester superX. I tend to steer clear of Rem stuff for the last couple decades.

But I have noticed no failures to feed. I have seen a few failures to eject and a good cleaning always seems to cure this.

mcdaniel.mac
11-14-2016, 01:21 AM
Been having a hard time getting my Ruger 45/22 feeding reliable. Noticed that the Federal American Eagle rounds fed the best .
. So I measured a few of the shell's I have on hand.

.957 for Rem yellow jackets
.956 for Rem vipers
.960 for CCI minni mag hollow point
Then the shell's that function almost perfectly
.981 for Fed American Eagle

So looking closer I see the others jam rite into the feed ramp directly on the middle of the center of the bullet. The eagles go rite up the ramp with no problems. Because the bullet starts up the ramp because of the length of the overall cartridge length.

Is this just my pistol or do you also have this trouble?
Have you removed the loaded chamber indicator? That was the case of both failures to feed and failures to eject for me. You can even just remove the spring to deactivate it.

Have you checked to make sure all your mags seat fully? I found a couple of mags would hang up a hair because of the plastic baseplate, and a little light sanding helped.

I shoot Eley sport, Federal Am Eagle, Aguila, CCI, and Winchester M1000 (black moly-coated bullets) without issues in my 22/45 and MkIII.

Mica_Hiebert
11-14-2016, 03:13 AM
Seat your magazine with the bolt open. A lot of times the magazine will stay in place but not quite seated in the mag catch. At least that's the case with mine.

bigted
11-14-2016, 08:54 AM
I will check to ensure that the mag is fully seated.

My 10-22 feeds all just fine so maybe you have given me a direction to pursue.

As always ... Thanks for the info

Ted on

GhostHawk
11-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Mica is correct, that is something I do without even thinking about it.

John Boy
11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
180676The non standard 22LR with the shorter COL are hanging up on the magazine lips when being chambering

country gent
11-14-2016, 04:37 PM
I have the 45-22 with 8" slab side barrel and it feeds grat also but I also insert mags with bolt open.Some semi autos are critical of cartridge length. I use federal match. ely, CMPwhite box and a few others in mine with no problems. Make sure the pistol is clean and properly lubed

Idz
11-14-2016, 04:48 PM
The SAAMI spec COAL for 22LR is 1.000-.050 so the gun makers shoould be designing their firearms to take anything from 0.950 to 1.000 inch COAL.