PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger on Shake & Bake powder coating... piece of cake.

rusty marlin
11-13-2016, 02:28 PM
:) I cast about 200 .44 cal 200grain RNFP yesterday and Powder Coated them using the experiences of the collective genius on this board.
Utterly painless and perfect results.
The mold was purchased as a mistake, it's a four spot .427 for .44-40. I really wanted a .430 for .44special/mag. After reading about powder coating though, I thought what the heck, maybe its fate and not a mistake.

Equipment:
HFPC Red
Hamilton Beach Convection oven model 31101 picked up at a goodwill for 12 bucks
Black Air Soft BB's from Academy Sports, Wally world is out of them.
Polypropylene tub with snap on silicone o-ring seal.
Oven thermometer to verify thermostat on toaster oven.
Stainless Hemostats (big ones).
Parchment paper with foil on pan side, found in the wife's baking stuff.

Conditions: 75F and 35% humidity.

Diameter pre PC: .429
Diameter post PC: .431 (SWEET I won't even bother sizing them as that's what I wanted all along)

My hat is off to you fine gentlemen that have done the experimenting and reporting. Cheers:drinks:

rusty marlin
11-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Almost forgot, while the lead pot was out I also cast up 50+ .380 round balls for the boys sling shot. SBPC was so easy and painless I coated them too. Now the boy has encapsulated sling shot boolits.

shoot-n-lead
11-13-2016, 03:35 PM
It is the easiest thing, ever.

Since I pc'd my first batch...I have not conventionally lubed another bullet...and have no set time to, again.

All of these years of doing it the other way...I am so proud this method came along.

My last several castings, I have used my tumbler to coat...500bullets and powder...let run while the oven is heating up.

Mytmousemalibu
11-13-2016, 03:56 PM
It's a really great trick for us boolit masters to have in our tool box! I still like a conventional lubed boolit once in a while but PC is just super easy and really the way to go these days!

You still can go and lap those mold cavities up to size if you find you need/want a larger boolit.

rancher1913
11-13-2016, 04:27 PM
now that you know how to do it, invest in some quality powder from smoke and you will notice better results and have more color options.

OS OK
11-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Now that you've had a little taste of this madness...'your screwed for life!'

Welcome to our satisfying madness...more colors...better quality PC, that's all that remains.

rusty marlin
11-13-2016, 10:53 PM
More colours? I need to use up what I have first. A little goes a long LONG way.

Walter Laich
11-13-2016, 10:58 PM
That's true--I seem to have more in the jars each time I check--must be related to rabbits