PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin 1895 CBA on the way

osteodoc08
11-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Ordered me an 1895 CBA last night and can't wait to get it. It will be the 3rd guide length 45-70 I have. I have a JM GS that is my brush gun, a GBL that I'm still playing with and now this CBA. For y'all that don't know, it's essentially a CB that's been cut down to guide length. Can't wait to get it. Full report after I have a chance to get it to the range. Hope this Remlin is as good as my GBL (which was actually really
nice).

Scharfschuetze
11-13-2016, 05:08 PM
We'll look forward to a range report and a photo or two. Hope it comes in soon.

historicfirearms
11-13-2016, 08:22 PM
I saw one of these last week. It is very handy and good looking. Let us know how it shoots. I would like to get one too.

W.R.Buchanan
11-15-2016, 04:46 PM
I handled one at the SHOT Show earlier this year and I have to tell you it handles nice. I have had the idea to cut down a 1895 CB to 18 or 20" and have a Short Rifle for some time now, but now they make it,,, so there is no longer a need to modify one when you can just buy it already done.

You are going to like that gun!!!!

Randy

kingstrider
11-15-2016, 05:08 PM
I really need to stop coming here because you guys always wind up costing me more money. Until now this one had slipped through the radar but I think it would make a great host for a SBR project I have in mind.

osteodoc08
11-15-2016, 05:31 PM
I'll be sure to post photos and a range report. Earliest I'll be able to pick it up will be next week due to work schedule.

snowwolfe
11-15-2016, 07:36 PM
I love that rifle!

rintinglen
11-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Is it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight?

osteodoc08
11-23-2016, 11:40 PM
I was able to pick it up. Looked at it with a critical eye.

The barrel is an octagon 16-1/2" polished blue barrel. It is a shiny finish and I love shiny blued guns. Reminds me of the older S&W revolvers. However, the remainder of the gun is more of a matte brushed finish. Bummer. The octagon was rounded on the edges and not near as crisp as my old CCL or my 45 Colt Cowboy LTD.

The function of the lever was about average and should get better with time. The closing of the lever was a bit mushy and didn't seem to snap closed or open.

The trigger was a bit heavy but fairly crisp with some
creep. I'd definitely need to get a WWG happy trigger in it.

Wood. The thing I was really looking forward too, was a disappointment. The finish was a very dull, half finished light walnut. Almost like they tried for a hand rubbed finish but gave up half way through. Lots of obvious grain and needs some finish work. The wood, while plain, was attractive. The fit was, eh. There were gaps around the top rear part of the tang. While
most would probably over look it, I felt were not up to par. My Henry, other Marlins, and my Brownings all are fitted better......with nicer looking wood. Some areas a touch proud some a touch below. I prefer my wood to stand a little proud to even around the tang.

I cycled some ammo through it. It cycled everything from my 186 CB loads to my 425 elephant stomping loads. Shucked them all without issue.

I put a bore light down the bore and all seemed fine there, however, a bore scope would give much more detail. I didn't see anything out the ordinary.

Once I get it to the range, I'll give a more thorough range report.

Overall I rate this a B-/C+. If it is accurate, I will adjust accordingly.

W.R.Buchanan
11-24-2016, 05:00 AM
Doc: I know this is not what many would want to hear, after buying a new gun,,, but if you put some TLC into that gun it can be made to be everything you've dreamed of.

Marlins are not Winchesters, and there is a big difference between a $700 gun and a $1500 gun, these are built to a much lower price point and have a lot less hand work put into them. Wood is not as great and the actions can all benefit from some Simple Deburring. However they can easily have that hand work put into them and end up with something to be really proud of and very unique as well.

I can do and action job on a Marlin in less than two hours and so can just about anyone else. Goto www.leverguns.com (http://www.leverguns.com) and go to the Marlin Resources and find the instructions on how to do this,,, and believe me it ain't that hard.

I also am a firm believer in stripping the goo that Marlin puts on their wood off and doing a Tru Oil Finish. Hint: Use paint stripper first and then sand and stain to taste. There is probably a lot of good character in that wood, and the Tru-Oil will bring out everything that is hidden now by the paint.

You'll need a decent Recoil Pad installed on it anyway as your "Elephant Stomper" Loads with kick your **** as well in such a light gun. My 1895 CB weighed 7 lbs and was much too brutal to shoot very much until I installed a Gray-coil Recoil Reducer in the stock under the 1" thick Pachmayer Recoil Pad. The gun now weighs 8 lbs. and is very tolerable with fairly peppy 325 gr loads. But I can shoot 40 of them in one morning and still not be flinching.

Anyway this is what it could look like, and both of these were so homely it was pathetic. Just a little elbow grease was all it took. And both of these were C+ guns as well,,, but are now A- guns and a joy to shoot and I get complements everytime they come out at the range.

Randy

osteodoc08
11-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Randy,

This just gives me something to stay out of trouble. I still really like the rifle. So long as it's a shooter, I'm hanging on to it.

FergusonTO35
09-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Anybody have an update on the 1895CBA? What boolit weight do they prefer, if any? I think I'm going to replace my current standard model 1895 with one of these.

osteodoc08
09-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Mines turned out to be such a fun plinkster. I don’t want to take away from the classic lines and haven’t added a scope to mine. With the short barrel, I honestly love shooting the NOE 186 CB (collar button) mold Boolits. I’ve only shot it at 50 yards for accuracy and was as fine as any of my other 1895 lever guns. Where it shines are these collar button gallery loads though.

FergusonTO35
09-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Thanks. I'm planning to feed it mild loads roughly equivalent to .44 Magnum and carry it when walking the woods.

osteodoc08
09-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I'm planning to feed it mild loads roughly equivalent to .44 Magnum and carry it when walking the woods.

There are plenty of 300-325gr molds that you could play with.

Texas by God
09-28-2018, 11:54 PM
Pics would be good you know:-)

FergusonTO35
09-29-2018, 12:06 AM
I have the Lee 340 grain RNFP and 405 grain HB molds, and some 300 grain Laser Cast boolits. My current 1895 with unnamed Micro Groove rifling does good with the Lee hollow base and Laser cast slugs. It does not like the 340 grain Lee boolits at all, I think they are a bit undersized for the bore. I'm planning to just use Unique at first since it should provide the modest velocity I'm looking for. I'm definitely not going to scope it. Probably keep the original front and a Marble's Bullseye or Williams FP for the rear.