PDA

View Full Version : Lee shellplate chipping

dikman
11-13-2016, 04:45 AM
I finally got my Loadmaster set up for loading .44-40. The dies are older RCBS, so they're not carbide, so I lubricated the cases with a lanolin/alcohol mix. After running a few cases through, one stuck in the re-sizing die! Pushing on the handle caused the case to slip past the edges of the grooves in the shellplate, unfortunately chipping the edges in the process! This happened with another case, at which point I stopped. I ended up re-adjusting the die so the case didn't go as far into it and also used a much stronger lanolin lube. This stopped the sticking, but the damage has been done and now the cases don't always stay put in the damaged shellplate slots.
So I now need a new shellplate. It appears that the shellplates are fairly brittle if a brass case can cause chipping, plus the .44-40 shellplate has too much free-play where the cases sit in the slots, this doesn't help given that the rims on these cases are pretty minimal.

Can't say I'm particularly happy about this, but there's not much I can do (the press works fine with .38, by the way).

noylj
11-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Call Lee. They may send you a free one.
Lots of folks love lanolin/IPA, but you should start with REAL case lube.
I love the old RCBS case lube pad and RCBS case lube. After more than 40 years, I have never had a stuck case. The cost of the lube is nothing compared to NOT having any frustrations.
Not sure there are carbide sizing dies for .44-40, since it is a slight bottleneck case.
Finally, Lee likes to combine different cartridges with the same shell holder/plate, such as 9x19 and .40 S&W.

Walter Laich
11-13-2016, 09:20 AM
lanolin and HEET guy here--great way to lube cases; really reduces the effort needed

a bit of rubbing alcohol on a towel and with the brass in the center and towel folded over the brassin thirds longways you can grab each end and sling the brass back and forth inside the folded towel. Does quick work of removing any lanolin left though I don't bother.

slim1836
11-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Take a picture of the damage and email customer service explaining the circumstances, they replaced a set of dies for me when I only wanted the decaping stem nut replaced. I had great service with them.

Slim

r1kk1
11-13-2016, 03:35 PM
44-40 dies are not carbide. Email Lee to see if they will ship you one overseas.

Never heard of a shellplate chipping. My problem with the cartridge is the fragil shoulder.

Take care

r1kk1

dikman
11-13-2016, 09:55 PM
I suppose I could send them a photo, although after my last effort with a warranty issue I doubt they will do anything. I'm pretty sure that it was caused by the case not being a snug fit in the shellplate (as noylj suggested) allowing the case rim to slip over the edge just a little, plus the top edge of the slot area is heavily bevelled so there's not actually much metal holding the case in.

Dan Cash
11-13-2016, 10:54 PM
I think you have the dies set too close to the shell plate. If case rims are truely breaking the shell plate, you need a different loading machine.

dikman
11-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Dan, I set all the dies as per setup instructions, the same dies worked fine in my turret press so the issue is the shellplate. When one of the cases got stuck I removed the die, put it in the turret press, fitted the shellholder and it had no problems pulling the case from the die - unlike the Loadmaster.

I've emailed Lee and sent photos, but I'll bet that, because I'm overseas they won't do anything - even though when I had my last issue with a faulty mould they told me that all customers are treated the same, regardless of location.
I was definitely treated differently on that occasion.

Kitika
11-15-2016, 12:57 AM
I've busted my 44/40 shellplate aswell multiple times. Only recently replaced it after all the slots were badly chipped and wouldn't hold the shells anymore. I rub a lot of lube (15/40 diesel oil) on all the cases with my fingers now and haven't had an issue yet.

dikman
11-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks Kitika, you don't know how pleased I am to hear that I'm not the only one! Yep, I reckon lots of lube is a necessity. I had a close look at the slots, and they definitely have some slop in there when the shell is inserted. It's probably necessary to make sure the "fingers" that hold the shell in place are tight against the shell to keep it pushed in hard so that the maximum amount of rim is supported - which actually goes against much of what I've read, as leaving a bit of play allows for the shells to align themselves to the dies as the shellplate lifts up.

Anyhow, I just got an email from Lee and they're sending me a replacement plate!! I'm still having trouble believing it, as my last effort at dealing with their "customer service" was a waste of time, they couldn't have been less helpfull if they'd tried!!!!

(Thinks "maybe it's because of the recent "supermoon" - or maybe Donald Trump getting elected has made them all happy :lol:"). Whatever, I'm just happy to get a replacement.

r1kk1
11-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Are the LM shellplates that brittle?!? I have never broken, chipped any shellplates but I don't own a LM.

I'm glad Lee is taking care of you. They should.

Take care,

r1kk1

dikman
11-17-2016, 01:14 AM
I'm still having trouble believing it, but just got word that it's shipped.
I'd guess that they're all brittle, LM or Pro 1000, because of the manufacturing/hardening process used. I've loaded lots of .38 on the Pro 1000 with no shellplate issues and also run quite a few through the LM with no problems. The .44-40 shell size appears to be the problem. While it's common to share different shell sizes with one plate, the .44-40 isn't a perfect fit in the holder and there's not a real lot of grip on the rim. If the case is just a little loose in the slot it's possible for the case to tilt just a little and the rim then tries to slide over the slot edge, jams and because the slot edge is very thin it breaks off. Once the edges are chipped primer seating becomes a bit hit-or-miss, as sometimes the upward pressure from the primer seater pushes the primer partway in then pushes the case past the broken bit, sometimes jamming the case in the shellplate. Not good. And if you jam a case in the resizing die then because of the lack of support around the rim by the shellplate it just gives way.

I should add that I've never had any problems with the .44-40 shellholder on the turret press, which I think backs up my hypothesis that it's the design of the shellplate that's the problem. It needs one specifically made for the .44-40 case, sharing it with other case sizes doesn't work.

dikman
11-25-2016, 12:32 AM
Just got my new shellplate, for which I remain grateful. In the meantime I've been pondering this problem of the .44-40 shell. The only real part of the loading operation that causes "extreme" stress on the shellplate is the re-sizing - nothing else puts a strong downward force on the edges of the shellplate. So, not wanting to risk chipping the replacement I've decided to do the resizing/decapping in the turret press first (I've never damaged a shell or shellholder doing this). A bit annoying, but safer, I think.

The press works fine with .38 when doing all operations so it's not as if I have to do this for all calibres.

r1kk1
11-25-2016, 10:10 AM
So, not wanting to risk chipping the replacement I've decided to do the resizing/decapping in the turret press first (I've never damaged a shell or shellholder doing this). A bit annoying, but safer, I think.

The press works fine with .38 when doing all operations so it's not as if I have to do this for all calibres.

That would annoy me. I think Lee needs to address the 'brittle' shellplate issue.

My problem with the 44-40 is not the rim but the shoulder is easy to collapse when expanding or seating bullets. More from seating than anything else. The shellplate I use is for 444 Marlin also.

At at least you have a workaround. I don't crank out 44-40 like I can with 500 S&W or Linebaugh. That cartridge requires me to slow down and watch the seating step closely. It is one of the cartridges where I like beveled base bullets in.

Take care

r1kk1

dikman
11-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Yep, I've crunched a few shoulders recently, but took a while to figure out the cause. When seating the boolits I'd set the flare (belling?) on the case so it was only just wide enough for the boolit. The odd one had shaved a tiny amount of lead during the seating and this had built up in the seating die and was enough to push down on the edge of the case. These cases, being so thin, aren't happy when that happens!

Bevelled base would certainly be better from a seating point-of-view.

retread
11-26-2016, 02:06 AM
I chipped the corner of one of my Dillon 550 shellplates and discovered even though I had some clearance for the bottom of the size die that paper clip shaped shell keeper was adjusted to close to the shellplate and was distorted when indexing the plate and on the next round it was between the die bottom and the shellplate. Bummer! Since then I have allowed more clearance and check the shell keeper before starting a new session. I didn't think to call Dillon since the mistake was obviously mine.

r1kk1
11-26-2016, 09:08 AM
I chipped the corner of one of my Dillon 550 shellplates and discovered even though I had some clearance for the bottom of the size die that paper clip shaped shell keeper was adjusted to close to the shellplate and was distorted when indexing the plate and on the next round it was between the die bottom and the shellplate. Bummer! Since then I have allowed more clearance and check the shell keeper before starting a new session. I didn't think to call Dillon since the mistake was obviously mine.

I have never chipped a shellplate. I've loaded so many different cartridges over the decades from .17 caliber to .50 cal non BMG stuff. I have every shellplate made for it. Depending on the cartridge, the full length sizing die will touch the shellplate or a tad more. I don't case form on mine.

Dillon will square away your shellplate. No problem. What cartridge was this?

Take care

r1kk1

retread
11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
I have never chipped a shellplate. I've loaded so many different cartridges over the decades from .17 caliber to .50 cal non BMG stuff. I have every shellplate made for it. Depending on the cartridge, the full length sizing die will touch the shellplate or a tad more. I don't case form on mine.

Dillon will square away your shellplate. No problem. What cartridge was this?
Take care

r1kk1

38 special, did not even think of calling Dillon considering It was my mistake.