PDA

View Full Version : Why is my lead sizzling?

lablover
11-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Got about 300 pounds of already smelted lead in Ingots. Budy found a great score in a dump. I decided to re-smelt some of it to see how dirty it was...A few ingots sizzled pretty good when melting. I figured maybe some trapped water? Scared the **** out of me. No tinsel bombs but close. It's been sitting in my heated garage for a few months. How can I avoid more sizzling?

Thanks guys

Joe

Mitch
11-12-2016, 08:19 PM
If they sat around at a dump might be a ix of grease and dirt or something.start with a cold pot by the time the ingots melt any dirt and **** on them will be burned off.

NyFirefighter357
11-12-2016, 09:32 PM
You have to warm them to above 140F. Then add them to the melted lead. I feel that the moisture isn't in the lead, It's the fact the lead is cold and dense and the moisture from the air or water left from the combustion process is condensating on the much colder lead. Either way if you warm them up first it will prevent moisture issues.

Beagle333
11-12-2016, 09:35 PM
^^^^ He's right. :goodpost:

runfiverun
11-12-2016, 11:49 PM
if it's got white fuzz all over it, it got wet at some point.
there could be water, and it could be just the quick temp change Jay mentions.

lablover
11-13-2016, 09:24 AM
I'll warm them up next time and give that a try. Thanks Gents! This Place is awesome!!!

country gent
11-13-2016, 09:47 AM
also if you start with a cold pot and stack the ingots in it then crank the heat on by the time they melt everything should be burnt off. Just dont add to a pot with molten metal in it. Im betting it on the surface or condensation from cold to hot transfer. Pre heat or start with an empty cold pot and you should be fine. If oil or grease it may not burn off as easily but will help to flux reduce the alloy also.

lablover
11-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Thats what happened. I had a pot full of molten lead and started adding more cold ingots to it.

slim1836
11-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Thats what happened. I had a pot full of molten lead and started adding more cold ingots to it.

That's a good way to get a visit from the tinsel fairy. Preheat the lead and keep a lid on it while melting.

Slim

lablover
11-13-2016, 10:20 AM
So glad I posted the question! Whats the best way to pre heat the ingots? I'm using a dual burner propane stove and also have a elec hot plate for my molds

Gtek
11-13-2016, 10:21 AM
All excellent above as stated! One little trick I do is after first pot leave about an inch in bottom, turn off fire. When lead has solidified and you cannot poke into lead, fill pot and start fire and away you go round two. I will admit when stack in pot starts descending I add on top but do not drop into molten. I always leave an inch when done and have cut wire to put in melt with loop and handle. When cooled just pull puck out and mark what lead type with sharpie for future runs. Having that puck in bottom on start really seems to reduce melt time when pot filled stacked on top of puck and the wire will float to top when all melted. ALWAYS ACT AS IF THE TINSEL FAIRY IS IN EVERY POT! Please for yourself and others use proper protection, might make the difference between a scary story and a horror story.

JSnover
11-13-2016, 10:56 AM
So glad I posted the question! Whats the best way to pre heat the ingots? I'm using a dual burner propane stove and also have a elec hot plate for my molds
I used to stack them on top of my Dutch Oven lid but one time they started to melt. That was a mess!
If the pot is low enough, I turn the lid upside down and lay them on it. When they're too hot to touch I carefully slip the lid out from under and let them slide into the pot.

runfiverun
11-13-2016, 12:44 PM
I run 2 pots.
when one gets low I add more ingots to it and start ladling out of the other.
it takes a bit to get the first pots melted and going but once everything is up to temperature switching back and forth with little breaks in between is pretty easy.

RogerDat
11-13-2016, 12:57 PM
I often do the stack a pot full, and as the bottom melts and stack settles add more on the top where the ingots have not melted. Always do this for COWW smelting. Same for making alloys bunch of stuff in the pot as it settles a couple inches I add another row of ingots.

Otherwise set across edges of casting pot to pre-warm or in pot on hot plate on lower setting when casting or for a smaller batch.

Watch out for your molds and ladle, they can do the same cold to hot transition that creates condensation, I had a ladle I stuck in the pot and got recoil from it blasting back at me.