PDA

View Full Version : My Old Sunday School Teacher

Ithaca Gunner
11-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Today, as usual on the 12th of November I visited five cemeteries and removed the flags on local Veterans graves. This has been a tradition for as long as I've lived here, only exception is now I do it with the companionship of my old Border Collie instead of my neighbors and fellow Veterans. There used to be a gang of us from WWI to Vietnam. I'm the last one alive, fit and able to do it for the past several years. This year I didn't feel much up to it and I don't think the dog did either, we're both getting old I guess. A little after 3:00 this afternoon I ask the Lord for the strength and ambition to do it and shortly after I simply told the old woman me and the dog was going to the cemeteries to do our yearly duty.

Now, it seems each year the Lord draws me to a "special" grave and opens my eyes a little. This year it was the grave of Sgt. Robert T. Coleman, WWII Veteran. As I stood and reflected on the name on the stone I remembered a "Bob" Coleman who was my Sunday school teacher many decades ago. I remembered Bob was a Marine in WWII and his wife's name, Gladys, same as on the stone. The Church where Bob taught Sunday school was almost 30 miles away, and here he is buried less than a half mile from my home! I looked Bob up on "Find a Grave" and it's him all right. How did I miss his grave so often? I've been through that cemetery hundreds of times since Bob died and never put things together.

I'd like you all to meet Sgt. Robert T. Coleman, Quiet American Hero, follower of Christ, and my old Sunday School Teacher.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/bob%20coleman_zpsrkfb5geu.jpg

All I knew about Bob's military service was that he was a Marine, WWII. An excerpt from Bob's obituary goes a bit farther in detail, "In World War II, he served in Co. A, First Marine Raider Battalion (Edson's Raiders) in the South Pacific and the Solomon Islands." Seems the quiet, gentle man who taught me Sunday School decades ago was one of the Elite Marine Raiders of WWII, a true American Hero and Soldier of God.

USMC87
11-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Interesting and uplifting read, I'm so happy you found his grave and that he was a faithful Christian.

Pine Baron
11-13-2016, 10:25 AM
IG, sounds like a fitting reward for your dedication. Thank you sir. May God Bless you.

Boaz
11-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Thank you for this post . Sounds like Bob spent his time giving service to his country and serving our Lord also . Something tells me he touched many lives . Again thank you !

Blackwater
11-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Thank you IG, for this wonderful story. And God's blessings be upon you for what you've so diligently done for these great men and their graves, and all the rest I know you've done. And FWIW, it truly IS surprising how some of the mildest mannered folks become the most purposeful and accomplished people in wartime as well.

I've known a lot of WWII vets in my time, especially prior to my 7th birthday when Dad retired from the Corps. Lived on USMC bases until then, and even after Dad moved back home, he always had a very soft spot in his heart for fellow Marines. Theirs is a comraderie we could all learn from. It didn't matter whatever else they thought or did, if they were a fellow Marine, they were "family." Would that this nation could and would learn a great lesson from that. They were always a very orderly and circumspect lot, in every action I ever observed.

And every one of them was SO humble about the things they'd done. They were all more concerned with their buddies than they were for themselves! And it was so common I don't recall a single instance otherwise, though I'm sure in any large group it must have happened. And they seemed able to get along with just about anybody, no matter their station in life or social level. They were just MEN, and that's all that really mattered. Always generous to anyone in need. Always humble, and never sought credit for any good deed they ever did, great or small. I think of them as "Godly," even though I know not all of them had the irresistable love of God in them. But all I ever heard say one word about it, all believed in God to a depth that most who've never seen and done what they did seem to be able to demonstrate.

We all seem to learn best and most indelibly when we're fired in the flames of real, earnest battles, whether it be in actual combat, preparation for it, or in the normal routine of everyday life. And it's all right there, awaiting our notice, that we might be truly edified by it all.

Thanks again for this wonderful story. It's one of the best I've heard here on and after Veteran's Day. Reminds me of so much I've seen in life, and it's true value, if we'll just let it sink in. These posts really matter.

WILCO
11-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Thank you for sharing this Ithaca Gunner. It was wonderful to see Mr. Coleman's face and learn his story.

Here's a link for the group:

Marine Raider (http://www.usmc.mil/historical.nsf/96daf5cb37fcafc6852565c60058346e/e6cf7bcda10fe8e7852566400049759f?OpenDocument) Battalions in the Pacific Campaign, 1942-1944

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/usmcraid.html

Ithaca Gunner
11-13-2016, 12:22 PM
You know fellows, I really don't know how I missed Bob's grave for all those years. I try to read each name at least, but I don't remember ever reading Bob's until yesterday. For the past several years it's just been me and the dog, so I know I must have visited Bob's grave on a few occasions and just never thought it could have been my old Sunday School teacher from so long ago. I read the stone and thought about Sunday School many years ago and walked to the next grave with a flag to remove it, then it started to bug me and I had to go back. His wife, Gladys buried beside him cinched it, and I knew it was the same Bob and had to look him up on "Find a Grave". Funny how the Lord revels things to us in his time. I look at Bob's grave being hidden from me until now as a reward and blessing. Thank you Father.

Blackwater, I've a sign beside my front door that reads, "Marines always welcome-Relatives by appointment." I think your dad would have gotten a kick out of that one too.

Ithaca Gunner
11-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Wilco. Great site! If I'm not mistaken, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's son was a Raider in WWII also.

Boaz
11-13-2016, 03:00 PM
I too thank you wilco , you added a lot to bear out his service .

Bzcraig
11-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Great post IG and good comments fellas! Gunner don't know where you live but if I was close enough I would be honored to accompany you and the dog.

Ithaca Gunner
11-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Bzcraig, I'm on what was the Pennsylvania frontier right after the Revolution, where all the soldiers that couldn't be paid for their service were sent to claim land in lew of pay. I tend graves of men who fought in the Revolution to the first Gulf War. When "our gang" dwindled to just two of us, we ceded the placing of the flags in the hands of the local Boy Scouts with our supervision. My neighbor and good friend, Paul gave it up when he turned 86 a few years ago. I miss the old boys, we'd decorate the cemeteries in May and enjoy a picnic prepared by the wives afterwards and the same in November when we took the flags off. One by one the gang has been reduced to just me and the old dog. I know soon the Lord will call the dog home, she's 14-15 now, but I guess I'll be there as long as the Good Lord gives me the strength and allows me to movement.

Your local Legion and VFW would appreciate your volunteering, seems there's more social members now a days that only want a cheap place to drink than meaningful veteran members. Maybe contact your County Veterans Affairs Office. They're usually grossly understaffed, yet dedicated and could use any help you could offer from delivering meals to shut in and homeless Vets, to placing markers on graves. Our county office is staffed by two wonderful people, but they can't seem to keep up. One of them lives just over the ridge and knows she's welcome to drop off grave markers here knowing they'll be taken care of.

Start a ministry for Vets, come up with a rough plan in conjunction with your county office, invite members of your church to join, and get to work. There's a local man here who makes good meals for homeless Vets when he can and distributes them a few times a year as he can afford to.

Got a dog? Nothing raises the spirits of nursing home shut ins like a dog. The home around here allows dogs with nothing more than a shot record and good behavior. Often senior shelter dogs can be adopted free and make wonderful companions as well as great calm visitors to the elderly shut ins with little training. You'd be amazed how you can brighten someone's life just by being there. Just go to a county home once, with or without a dog. I got more invites to sit and talk than I could manage in one day! I had an aunt in the county home, she was unresponsive to about everyone, including me. No problem, I left a family photo with her taken in 1931. Next visit I was stopped by a nurse expecting to be told not to go to her room again, that I upset her. I was told the photo made a major difference in Effie's life. She still wouldn't talk, but was less reclusive and didn't fear as much. She spent a lot of time looking at the photo and remembering a long time ago when she was younger and happy. I never really spent much time with Effie, she was silent and wouldn't even look at me, probably didn't even know who I was. The lobby and main corridor of the home was lined with benches and people just needing a little new conversation though. I met many a good soul there and heard many wonderful life stories. I was a much richer man just for having sat with those folks when I visited Effie. You may find the hardest part of visiting the county home is leaving.

I would be honored to have any of you walk with me through the cemeteries, we each have been given our own ministries and tasks by the lord. We each have our own abilities the lord has given us, we simply mustn't waste them.

Boaz
11-13-2016, 11:04 PM
You are on target with the nursing homes and shut in's . Much work there and it's easy , so many lonely abandoned there . Been to one today , took some bananas and a bag of on sale mini candy bars . Talking and witnessing is easy ...much fertile ground .

Ithaca Gunner
11-13-2016, 11:30 PM
I remember Bob very well. His service to Christ through the Church teaching Sunday School, and as a Scout leader. I was never in the Boy Scouts myself, but I know many young men were sent on the right path in life because of Bob.

square butte
11-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Last year we erected a granite monument on the village green of this little Vermont town of Chester to none other than Merritt Edson. Although not born here - His family moved here from Rutland when he was just a baby - And this is where he grew up. The placement of the monument is one of the finest things this town has done in recent memory. Yet still we had Liberal types who protested it's erection. There was a nice ceremony with Merritt's family members and representatives from the USMC and NRA spoke. Also a flyover of a few WWll aircraft. It was a sight to behold.

Ithaca Gunner
11-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Great job by your town!

Blackwater
11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Tons of good work are done every day by old vets who don't want and wouldn't accept any credit for the work and good they do. That's how my Dad was, and it's how he taught me to be. So many, many folks do such good work, and yet, folks don't know it because it's not a "media event!" I guess folks have come to think that if they don't see/hear it on TV/radio, it didn't happen? But it does. And it means SO much to these old folks, and to their memories when they pass on.

The bulk of the country seems to have become so haughty and inurred, that they "don't see the point" in just going out and doing good, one person at a time. But it has, and continues to be, our most valuable asset .... IF folks will just simply DO that! Thanks to you guys who do all these type things. Yeah, it's a simple thing, but never underestimate its value. It really, truly matters, and it matters SO much more than most realize today. Keep up the great work, guys, and don't forget to "train" newbies to take your place. None of us gets to stay here forever, ya' know?

Ithaca Gunner
11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
The Bible teaches us how to live and care for each other, it's God's instruction book for us. We learn in it's passages to do our good works in secret and not be boastful. Our reward is not in this life from men, rather in our eternal life with the Lord.

Blackwater
11-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Exactly, IG. But in spite of all that, please accept my thanks, on behalf of my Dad as well, for all you've done and have yet to do. These things matter SO much more than most folks realize. "When you have done this to the least of mine, you have done it unto me." Not sure that's a perfect quote. My forgetter is too strong these days, but you know what I mean. Just thanks from one vet to another. And to all you who do and/or have done similar things. It ALL matters, and it matters more than most can appreciate.