PDA

View Full Version : Train the next generation?

curator
11-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Are you going to take your knowledge and experience to the grave with you or pass it on to the next generation? Youth camps everywhere are looking for qualified muzzle loading instructors. Our local Boy Scout Camp is hosting a NRA Muzzle loading Instructor training course the first weekend in February, 2017. Need an excuse to go to Florida for a few weeks to thaw out? Warm sunny days, and NO BUGS! This course is scheduled for two weeks after the Alafia Rendezvous that brings thousands of black powder enthusiasts to S.W. Florida. This is a great opportunity to become a NRA Certified Muzzle loading Instructor in just one weekend. You wouldn't need to bring guns or ammo as all will be provided by our team of instructors. We will shoot matchlock, flintlock, cap lock, inline, rifles, pistols, revolvers, and shotguns. Adult Scouters particularity welcome, and you can tent camp at the facility. Some RV/Camper Van space available. 90 minutes south of Tampa airport by car, or 30 minutes north of Regional Southwest airport in Ft. Myers. PM me for particulars and registration forms.

Omnivore
11-12-2016, 02:18 PM
As it happens I'm taking my daughter and her friend out shooting today, so yes; I'm passing it on every chance I get. That includes posting on this forum and others.

I've taken several shooting courses, and I've been certified as an instructor by the NRA, and I taught the safety course for our high school trap shooting program for several years. When I expressed interest in helping out the 4H with their shooting program (actually they came to me), they told me I needed an additional course which was only offered two or three hours away, which would mean staying in a hotel for a night or two away from my business and family. No thank you. Bye.

I will pass on the knowledge, attitudes and skills in my own way, not how someone else tells me it should be done. I never did trust anyone down in Central Planning anyway, which, if you think about it just a little bit, you'll realize is the whole point in all of this.

JWT
11-12-2016, 02:47 PM
I agree that training the next generation is very important.

My son is in the Boy Scouts and I am one of the adult leaders. I have been looking into becoming certified as a BSA range master and counselor for the Rifle Shooting badge. BSA requires that you are NRA certified so I have been looking at class availability. There are only 2 rifle instructor classes in the next year within 200 miles from me. They are also not cheap.

charlie b
11-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Yep, trained my daughter and son, niece and nephew, along with countless kids when in the Army.

KCSO
11-13-2016, 07:24 PM
I have been doing muzzle loading classes for Hunter Safety, The Boy Scouts and 4 H for the last 35 years and just finished our yearly presentation for Pheasants Forever. I may have a few years left in me.

koger
11-13-2016, 09:02 PM
I have been a hunter safety instructor for Ky for several years, I volunteer coach 4H shooting sports, also, all venues. Plus I am always getting newbies started. Don't have time to do the NMLRA training but do what I can.

OverMax
11-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Taught my son everything I know over the years about Hunting fishing & trapping. He's gotten to be a good all around Sportsman. As good or better than I was at still hunting & tracking. Other than the Son I have nobody else to teach in the family. So all those woodsy skills acquired. (some by my fathers tutelage back in the mid 50s.) are likely to be my forgotten memory's in a few short years.