PDA

View Full Version : vaquero lock-up

calsite
06-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Was up shooting at my dads last week, took my Vaquero .44 mag. up to show my brother, and we shot it a few times, probably about ten rounds. using fairly lite loadings, 12gr. unique and 180 JHP's, every couple of shots the cylinder would lock up on me, I noticed that the cylinder pin was slowly creeping out every shot and eventually would lock up the cylinder. I usually shoot .44 specials through this pistol and have shot some pretty hot .44 special test lots probably equaling the felt recoil of the .44 mags I was shooting at my dads. I don't remember this happening before. do I need to have a gunsmith look at this?

Dr. A
06-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Time for a Belt Mountain Base pin. It'll solve your problems!

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=Belt+Mountain+base+pin&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=9&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=9

Dale53
06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Dr. A has it right.

Dale53

danski26
06-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Third for belt Mt. pins. Several way to "use" the set screw in them. Search the different methods then chose the right one for you.

Four Fingers of Death
06-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Those Vaqueros are strong enough, I fired lots and lots of big loads through mine, hundreds of 'elmers' (22Gn of the old 2400 with a 240GnSWC) and lots of the Winchester Recommended load (25Gns 296 behind the same lead boolit. felt like getting the cane at school when shot on a cold morning, but the gun just shrugged it off.

August
06-27-2008, 06:19 PM
The base pin contains the spring that pushes the transfer bar back, allowing the bar to clear the firing pin as the gun is cocked. If the base pin slips forward, that spring pressure is not available and the gun "jambs" because the transfer bar hangs up on the firing pin shroud.

If the cross bolt that holds the base pin in place is dirty or gummy, it might not return fully to engage the base pin. More likely, some of the Ruger base pins are not channelled all the way around for the cross bolt -- rather, they are indented only on part of their circumference. If the channel is not in alignment with the cross bolt, then the bolt can't close, or hold the pin.

If your gun is one of those (they are common), you might want to spend some time with a file, or dremmel to carry the indentation all the way around the base pin. That way, no matter how you insert it, the cross bolt can completely close on it.

Also, be advised that there are higher tension springs available from Wolff for the Ruger cross bolt. I have never found them necessary, however. Just keep the cross bolt clean and lubricated and be sure it is, in fact, engaging an indentation in the base pin.

Again, the gun will not operate if the base pin moves forward at all (unless you're very lucky).