PDA

View Full Version : The colorful camouflage of personal protection pistols

pill bug
11-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Well for me they are going to take some getting used to. But for better or worse, here they are; The Cool, crazy and sometimes creepy camouflaged pistols. I Don't know where this obviously demand driven trend started or where it is going, but looks like everyone is on board. Factory and aftermarket company's alike are ready, willing and able to provide muddy girl, kryptek, digital, harvest moon, cheetah (oh jeez) or any number of snow,woodland and desert variations of camouflaged sidearms tailored to suit all wants or needs.

So, what say you? Do the pistol shooters of cast boolits find their wants or needs satisfied by the incredibly diverse selection of camouflaged pistols or can we get by on a straight grey,black or blued firearm product?

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2016, 06:14 AM
I'm not crazy about it but my wife just had to have a pink camo lc9. Who am I to turn away another gun entering the house and this one with her approval. Luckily I have a private range so I don't have to shoot it in front of people. Truth be told she wont let be take it by myself anyway! I guess it comes down to whatever floats your boat.

pill bug
11-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Hi Lloyd, I feel the same way. Whatever makes them happy. The more people involved in the shooting sports, the better. For me, I'm amused by some of the more outlandish stuff and kinda like the more subdued grey/black woodland patterns. But probably not enough to pay a premium for a non standard finish.

OS OK
11-11-2016, 09:20 AM
If I ever stuck one of those in my safe...well, my other guns would shoot me!

dragon813gt
11-11-2016, 09:40 AM
I find some of those pistols more appealing than the crazy colored powder coated bullets people here love. But I still would not buy one personally. If my better half wanted one I would willingly buy her one.

dverna
11-11-2016, 11:30 AM
My girlfriend wants a pink camo AR15.

Marketing works.

Don Verna

Pine Baron
11-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Whatever gets 'em to the range. If it shoots, I like it, God help me, I'm a true addict.

Tackleberry41
11-11-2016, 12:03 PM
If thats what people want, who are we to complain? Some tend to be pretty traditional. I remember when glocks hit the market, knew many who werent gonna touch some 'tupperware gun', people who now own several of them.

NavyVet1959
11-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Many years ago, people wanted nickel plated revolvers.

Some people liked polished stainless steel. I never was into the polished stainless, but I do have a few that more of a satin finish on them.

Remember the gold plated guns that were popular with a certain segment of society like the cartel leaders?

http://cdn.gandermountain.com/product/417/417108_L1.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/86/27/eb/8627ebb43577babd2192d31334ef7f1d.jpg

One thing that we should have learned by now is that there is no accounting for some people's tastes...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01628/jewel-encrusted-ha_1628993i.jpg

I prefer the look of blued or case hardened, but for daily carry, I just want something that will handle the inevitable scratches that are going to happen from bumping into things, so some sort of matte black or stainless will usually do for me.

osteodoc08
11-11-2016, 01:15 PM
I've got a Kryptek camo Sig M400 Hunter in 300 BLK. Some of those are down right hideous.

OS OK
11-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Many years ago, people wanted nickel plated revolvers.

Some people liked polished stainless steel. I never was into the polished stainless, but I do have a few that more of a satin finish on them.

Remember the gold plated guns that were popular with a certain segment of society like the cartel leaders?

http://cdn.gandermountain.com/product/417/417108_L1.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/86/27/eb/8627ebb43577babd2192d31334ef7f1d.jpg

One thing that we should have learned by now is that there is no accounting for some people's tastes...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01628/jewel-encrusted-ha_1628993i.jpg

I prefer the look of blued or case hardened, but for daily carry, I just want something that will handle the inevitable scratches that are going to happen from bumping into things, so some sort of matte black or stainless will usually do for me.

Oh, I can see me opening a case with one of these in it...my handloading pards would laugh me off the range.

NavyVet1959
11-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Oh, I can see me opening a case with one of these in it...my handloading pards would laugh me off the range.

Well, you would probably have to start wearing heavy gold chains around your neck and lots of gold rings and watches.

lefty o
11-11-2016, 02:21 PM
if its not for you, dont buy one. i personally dont know why people get so uptight over what someone else has.

JSnover
11-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Well, at least they're not doing this to Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks and such. That'd be a sacrilege.

lefty o
11-11-2016, 02:33 PM
everyone needs their own pimp gun!180508

NavyVet1959
11-11-2016, 03:07 PM
everyone needs their own pimp gun!180508

That actually looks more like brass / bronze than gold, so it is not as gaudy as the ones that I posted. :)

If it is brass, then calling that a pimp gun would be like calling a Henry a pimp gun.

NavyVet1959
11-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, at least they're not doing this to Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks and such. That'd be a sacrilege.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/135943/953094348/wm_3518326.jpg

Multigunner
11-11-2016, 03:29 PM
For a self defense pistol I'd prefer a high visibility finish so anyone could see at a glance that it was a real gun.
If I were carrying a gun for some nefarious purpose I'd paint it blue with pink camo stripes and paint the muzzle end bright orange.

OS OK
11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Good old store bought...everybody has one is good enough for me! Bluecollarbling.

OS OK
11-11-2016, 03:36 PM
if its not for you, dont buy one. i personally dont know why people get so uptight over what someone else has.

Hey, I'm not uptight...I just have an opinion...you gotta problem with that?

JSnover
11-11-2016, 03:58 PM
https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/135943/953094348/wm_3518326.jpgSome 19th century bling? It is pretty but it's so clean I'm tempted to call it a repro. Still looks nice either way.

W.R.Buchanan
11-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Some of those guns are definitely very personalized. But whatever,,, they still shoot.

No accounting for taste was mentioned and it is a Axiom in Human Existence.

As far as what the coatings are,,, I have found Cera-Kote to be the best thing I've ever put on a gun. My CZ 82 refinish has over 200 rounds thru it and the Cera-Kote on the slide ways still has no wear whatsoever! It has also been in and out of the Kydex Holster a thousand times with no external wear or shipping etc. Surface prep and profile mean the world with these refinishes.

The sky is the limit on what you can do with the stuff and your imagination is free to do whatever you think is appropriate.

I personally tend to gravitate more to the traditional as opposed to "Halloween" colors and Oddball Camo patterns. Not big on Camo covered guns anyway.

YMMV?

Randy

dragon813gt
11-11-2016, 04:27 PM
My stepdaughter will defend her choice of AR furniture w/ passion. I find the looks I get amusing when I shoot it.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/84CE2F5E-5B14-4435-A412-097CBD0B3927.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Firearms/84CE2F5E-5B14-4435-A412-097CBD0B3927.jpg.html)

OS OK
11-11-2016, 04:41 PM
This combo has been around some time now...I think it's entirely appropriate for a girl...looks pretty fine to me...it's the others that look like a Mexican Cartel conceal cary that I can't stomach!

But...if you are gonna shoot it, you need to do your fingernails to match...have some style and color coordinate there dragon! ...:bigsmyl2: ...

dragon813gt
11-11-2016, 05:25 PM
I was wearing a pink Izod polo w/ the collar popped ;)

Multigunner
11-11-2016, 05:27 PM
The "Hello Kitty" edition.

lefty o
11-11-2016, 07:30 PM
That actually looks more like brass / bronze than gold, so it is not as gaudy as the ones that I posted. :)

If it is brass, then calling that a pimp gun would be like calling a Henry a pimp gun.
its actually gold titanium nitride, the same exact finish thats on the desert eagle you posted. pic may make it look a little off color. long story short, i picked it up back during the ban. it came with 3 "hi cap" mags, , and it was the very first baby eagle ever done in that finish. was MRI's shotshow gun. had a buddy that was a gunsmith there, and they were having a clearance so i picked it up for less than the cost of the finish. i dont take it out often, but when you go to the range with it, it does get looks.

7br
11-11-2016, 11:33 PM
I would never camo up a pistol. I would probably lay it down and never find it again.

NavyVet1959
11-12-2016, 12:03 AM
I would never camo up a pistol. I would probably lay it down and never find it again.

Reminds me of the trend with tools over the last 20 years or so -- making them neon orange or green so that they will stand out more and be easier to find. Sounded good originally, but once ever tool in your shop is orange or green, it all blends together and you still can't find anything. :)

OS OK
11-12-2016, 03:09 AM
One of the neatest things I've noticed regarding tools is the way they mark sockets in big lasered print.

dragon813gt
11-12-2016, 09:18 AM
One of the neatest things I've noticed regarding tools is the way they mark sockets in big lasered print.

Those markings disappear w/ wear. I prefer the old way where they are stamped. May be harder to read the numbers but they're always there. I've had to trash socket sets from them riding around in the van a few years. Just the vibration from the road killed the laser markings.

toallmy
11-12-2016, 09:37 AM
I wanted a shiny stainless rifle , but when I actually ordered it a just had to go with the dull finish , I might actually use it for hunting . But the deep blue gloss just makes me feel good ,I'm becoming a old man . But by all means go for a gun you like even if it's pink , I always said it takes a real man to wear a pink shirt .

Speedo66
11-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Bling guns aren't new, the jewelry company Tiffany was doing them over 100 years ago.

I've seen some of them in person at the NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art and they're truly works of art. Here's a link: http://www.guns.com/2014/11/14/tiffany-co-revolvers-offer-plenty-of-history-lots-of-bling-7-photos/

OS OK
11-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Those markings disappear w/ wear. I prefer the old way where they are stamped. May be harder to read the numbers but they're always there. I've had to trash socket sets from them riding around in the van a few years. Just the vibration from the road killed the laser markings.

Dang! That's too bad...I wasn't aware that would happen...I haven't replaced perfectly good stamped ones I bought 40 years ago...so I wouldn't know.
I did think it was a good idea though...I think I remember seeing sockets of different anodized colors too, wonder if that last?

44man
11-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Most camo has a patent so if a maker uses it, he pays and ups the cost. Same for the process to apply it.
Funny is a camo arrow that costs more. Now arrows are reaching $100 a doz. I killed hundreds with plain aluminum shafts.
Draw on a BG, I WANT the jerk to see my gun. He might live. It is like a BG in your house and he hears the pump gun.

blikseme300
11-16-2016, 10:22 PM
I think I need to have my 1911A1 refinished to match my leopard-print G-string underwear. NOT!

contender1
11-16-2016, 10:52 PM
For many, many years,, gun owners were a "stagnant" group. Not much growth. Yet, the population in general was growing,, and especially the voting block,,, that carries the purse strings.
Remember there are several sayings;
"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
" Yes Dear!"
If we wanted gun ownership to survive,,, we had to look hard at the future & realize that denying women something,,, or even worse,, scaring them away would destroy all of us.
How many times have we seen or heard of how some macho type puts a heavy recoiling gun in an unsuspecting newbie female & laughs when the recoil hurts her? Can we say "Immediate anti-gunner?"
Face it folks,, we need women involved or we'll ALL lose.
So, many, many years ago, I started teaching ladies to shoot. I would go to the SHOT Show,,, looking for carrying options for the ladies. Guns were black, blue, or stainless. Holsters were for men,, and VERY few options for ladies.
Well, now,, we have seen colors in guns appear. We have companies that were built on a product line just for the ladies.

I agree it's not for everyone. But I too feel that if it gets a lady or a kid interested, and they enjoy it,,, we have created another pro-gun person. Plus,, when they go into a voting booth,,, they may just decide to vote for the person who supports their rights, instead of a rabid anti-gunner educated by Hollyweird.
And when you know that MANY women control the household budget,, if they like guns,, then the purse gets opened for such goodies.

In teaching women all these years,, I see some of them swoon over colored or dressed up guns. And I've seen others who passionately dislike the colors or dressed guns. But I'd MUCH rather see them ALL enjoying firearms instead of falling victim to Hollyweird or other bad anti-gun publicity.

So, like them or not,, personal choice. Just do NOT be so against them to where you create a negative attitude towards gun owners.