PDA

View Full Version : Ruger wear

Norbrat
11-11-2016, 03:03 AM
My 9 5/8" single six, which I've owned since '84, over the years had developed a minor issue; the trigger would no longer pop forward after a shot, until you pulled the hammer back slightly. No biggie, especially as I'd bent the trigger return spring to lighten the trigger pull.

A few years ago, when I pulled it apart, I noticed a small dimple appearing on the transfer bar from the cylinder pin pusher, so I ordered a spare transfer bar from Brownells. That wouldn't be quite so easy now that new ITAR laws have made it more difficult to export pistol parts from the USA. Yep, stopping parts for them single sixes is gonna make a huge dent in the war on terrorism! :roll:

Anyway, today I finally got around to pulling it all apart and replaced the transfer bar.

While it sure shows a bit of wear, I reckon that's pretty good for well over 20k shots through it! It's also the only part I've ever had to replace.

I also ran the bore scope down the barrel and you can still see the original machining marks.

So I reckon I'm good to go for another 30 odd years and 20K rounds!

Onya, Ruger, two thumbs up. :mrgreen:

DougGuy
11-11-2016, 04:05 AM
Good on you sir!

It's rare to read a post where the problem is fixed, usually people don't come here and post about a Ruger revolver unless they have an issue with it they are trying to resolve. We mostly only hear about the broken ones...

ReloaderFred
11-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Bill Ruger wanted his guns built like tanks, since the SAA revolvers were relatively delicate. I think he achieved that with most of his early guns.

As for ITAR, I believe we're going to see some drastic changes in that draconian regulation after January 20th, 2017. There's already a move afoot in the U.S. Congress to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

44man
11-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Good fix but I have never seen those marks before. The new one looks a tad longer and that is very, very good.
I have made my own if too short. Lots of fun from tool steel by hand.

psweigle
11-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I love my rugers. Best revolvers ever! I'm a little bias I guess.
Glad to see the warrior back in action. Good for it and good on you.

gwpercle
11-11-2016, 06:14 PM
I just love a good Ruger story with a happy ending ! ATTABOY !!! :drinks:
Gary
First Ruger -1970 Blackhawk , bought new in 1970 and still shooting it.

Norbrat
11-12-2016, 01:52 AM
The old trooper got loaned out today to three shooters to kill some of them metal critters.

They all shot their best ever scores! :mrgreen:

Being used to Ruger Semi Autos, they all said "Gee, that's a nice trigger!" Yep!!

I reckon more than one of these blokes will now be looking for a Ruger single action; one is seriously looking at a used Silver Hornpipe (S/S Super Blackhawk with the 10½" barrel).

In the early 90's, I made the mistake of getting a 3rd gen Wesson Arms Supermag, which turned out to be a dog.

Back in 2009, I finally gave up trying to get it to work and invested in a FA.

Truth be known, even with that beautiful piece of kit, I still haven't shot much better than I used to do with the old club owned SBH. I could regularly hit mid to high 30's / 40 IHMSA Big Bore targets.

But I was also a LOT younger, with much younger eyes and body! :neutral:

Still love them Ruger revolvers, though!

44man
11-12-2016, 09:16 AM
The big Ruger Horn pipe has been my stand by since it came out. As soon as I heard about it I ordered one from IHMSA. Mine has something on the order of 82,000 heavy loads through it with zero wear. It has some sand blasting on the cone edges but does no harm.
Since I got out of silhouette it has taken a ton of deer with 320 to my 330 gr boolit. Been shooting it more and more so I don't know the count today, I used to keep track of primers. Some brass has over 41 firings too, I am CHEAP!
I have kept it well lubricated with STP, pin and ratchet and some seeps inside.
I made a longer bar and have a creep free trigger of 1-1/2#.
I don't think you can hurt the gun.
I also bought a dog DW and no revolver ever on the line out shot my Ruger.

Norbrat
11-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Wow, 82k rounds!! :holysheep

I don't reckon I've fired that many rounds of ALL calibres in my lifetime!

44man
11-13-2016, 10:17 AM
That is just one .44 too. Got my first BH in 1956, then owned 5 or 6 29's then the Hornpipe and a SRH.
SRH is an amazing gun, all I shot did 1/2" at 50 meters. I wanted a BFR and my friend talked me out of the SRH but I get to still shoot it.
I sold off more SS's to get more BFR's and now have 3, most accurate SA's ever built. The BFR is a big Ruger, cast by Ruger's Pine Tree foundry but a better fit and barrel.
But I still keep the Hornpipe. It won all my IHMSA shoots and Ohio state. Still shoots the same.
I love Ruger's and the .44.
I had a short transfer bar on the BFR 45-70 so I made a new one, tough to fit but got the trigger to 19 oz. Trigger kick can drop the bar off the pin.